I recently bought a Fender FSR Jazz bass and I need some help figuring out how to adjust it so there isn't as much "finger noise" if thats what its called, this noise occurs when I barely touch the strings. I also own a schecter custom 5.

Is this because of the pickups being too close to the strings or is that the way Jazz bass sounds?

Also many notes on frets 1-6 rattle on the E and A strings, I was wondering if I should adjust the truss rod to fix this problem or another part of the instrument.

Any help is appreciated thanks.
Upper fret rattling usually means you need a truss rod adjustment. Personally, I set my basses up with FLAT necks and medium-low action, and I don't get any unwanted finger noise. Sure, flat necks let you lower the strings, but then that's when all the click starts.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Upper fret rattling usually means you need a truss rod adjustment. Personally, I set my basses up with FLAT necks and medium-low action, and I don't get any unwanted finger noise. Sure, flat necks let you lower the strings, but then that's when all the click starts.

How do I adjust the action, i've been told that truss rod adjustments dont help action, however I could be wrong and I find the online help a bit confusing.

Should I just take it in to a shop to have it adjusted?
You can do it yourself, but it's always good to take it into a shop and have it professionally adjusted. Hell, see if they'll let you watch to see what they do so you can do it yourself, some shops are cool like that.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
you're gonna have that sliding finger noise no matter what if you're using roundwounds. I use flats on my fenders and it greatly reduces the problem. but if you aren't into the flatwound sound then I don't recommend this fix.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
ok, i played with the tress rod a bit and got the rattling out of the lower frets, but now the high frets action is really high. How can i adjust the action for the high frets but maintain the rattle free low frets?
The action is adjusted at the bridge. 9 times out of 10 there are two allen key screws on each saddle under each string. You should take an allen wrench and then lower each screw until the action is to your taste.

Here's how to test your truss rod: press down on your first fret and your last fret. Look around the 6-8th fret. Check how much space there is between that point on the string and the frets. There should be very very little, but still some.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
If you're having trouble fretting both frets like thefitz suggested you could use a capo on fret 1 and traditionally fret you last fret or alternatively get a younger sibling to press down on fret 1.

If you dont have a capo I suggest you definatly get one, they're really handy when making action adjustments.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
You may find this thread helpful for bass setup.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

How is the FSR by the way? Ive never tried one out but Im assuming the ash body makes it sound really nice.
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by ryenzio1
How is the FSR by the way? Ive never tried one out but Im assuming the ash body makes it sound really nice.

It sounds nice, nice and poppy/punchy sound, especially while slaping/popping. It has a much different sound than my schecter custom 5, my schecter sounds a bit duller with the lows and highs, om...the fsr doesnt sound as deep with the lows as the schecter does, but I still like the fender as well.

For the other people's help thanks, i'm going to play with the above suggestions until I can get the action I want.
but fitz...i like the clicky noise of medium low action on a jazz...gives it nuts

anyways, factory setup almost always sucks and needs adjusting.

dont mess with the truss rod too much, i usually allow 20 or so hours between each small adjustment so the tension doesnt mess the neck up. but once you get things set up right....its amazing

seems like a chore to play other instruments now
Quote by progbass
but fitz...i like the clicky noise of medium low action on a jazz...gives it nuts

anyways, factory setup almost always sucks and needs adjusting.

dont mess with the truss rod too much, i usually allow 20 or so hours between each small adjustment so the tension doesnt mess the neck up. but once you get things set up right....its amazing

I like the clacky noise too, but with super low action, the clack can get a bit out of hand. Anyway, they key is to have a neck as flat as you can get it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by progbass

uh...should have know that before I adjusted it, i messed with it alot, hopefully it will be fine.

As far as getting the action where I want it, it is fine now, slightly higher than my schecter still but acceptable, maybe some more slight adjustments.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.
Quote by thefitz
I like the clacky noise too, but with super low action, the clack can get a bit out of hand. Anyway, they key is to have a neck as flat as you can get it.

agreed, a flat neck is a happy neck...and your fingers will be happy too

damn does a bowed neck really cramp up your hand fast.

also to OP, as long as every is inotated and stays in tune then you are fine...but if you experience some dead spots on the neck, then you warped it. that, of course, is bad.
If you've just got it, you may want to check the treble on your amp as well.

When I switched from my Milestone to my Fender, I noticed loads of finger noise the day that I got it, that I never experienced with the Milestone. I did a lot of things like trade strings on the basses, played with knobs on the bass and couldn't figure crap out.

My buddy came over when I heard I got a new bass, and turned my treble down a few notches and it sounded fine.