I need an amp that'll give me the sound I want, and very importantly VERSATILITY and CLARITY. I don't want an amp with a muddy sound. I've had a Crate FXT 120 for awhile, with a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Distortion Pedal. I've messed with it for awhile and I can't get the sound I want no matter what. Especially from the mids, I love Marshall mids. I want an amp that can give me the sounds I need for Classic Rock, Metal, and softer rock/blues. Anyway I don't want to spend over $2000 and these are the options I've come up with:

-Guitar Center Prices, NEW unless stated otherwise
-All Deals with 10% off with the letter they sent out and an additional $200 for trading in my current amp.

1. Marshall JCM2000 Dual Super Lead 100 Package:
GC: $1945.99
After discounts: $1551.39

2. JCM2000 Triple Super Lead 100 Package:
GC: $2134.99
After discounts: $1721.49

3. Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 Half-Stack:
GC: $2349.99
After discounts: 1914.99

4. Marshall JVM410H Tube Amp Head:
GC: $1749.99+$699.99(New 1960A Cab)= $2449.98
After discounts: $2004.98

The 4th deal is what I probably want the most, then 3, 2, and 1...Anyway, I haven't played Marshalls alot but based on the ones I have played, and the artists I listen to that use them, a Marshall seems like a good idea. If anyone has experience with any of these amps do tell, I want to hear as much as I can about these amps so I can make my decision. Thanks.
If you went with another all tube head or maybe a valve head you would be able to get a lot of different tones.

You might want to look into those
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
try a JCM 900, its cheaper secondhand, and you'll be able to afford a better cab or speakers that way
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by Guitarplaymetal
If you went with another all tube head or maybe a valve head you would be able to get a lot of different tones.

You might want to look into those

all those are tube amps. and tubes and valves are the same thing

anyway, out of those id say the dsl of jvm. most people say the tsl doesnt sound as good as the dsl. and the vintage modern aint gonna do metal. id go for the jvm if i were you. its the most versatile. its made to get close to every marshall sound ever.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
JVM will definatly get you what you want, it has a lot of versitality. Otherwise, the DSL is your best option.

The vintage modern will get the tones you want only if you have a pedal and an e.q infront of it i expect. The TSL isn't that fantastic tbh.

Check this video out of the DSL : http://www.gearwire.com/marshall-dsl100.html
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
you know seeing as they are like 100 watt amps when you have the volume low its gonna be muddy! (Not as muddy as SS but still muddy)

But if you set on a stack obviously The JVM, Its the marshall Power house! Everything in one so get it!! Also buy an Attenuater! (sp?)
Why do you insist on going Marshall?
Just because of the name?

There are far better amps in your price range.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Why do you insist on going Marshall?
Just because of the name?

There are far better amps in your price range.

If you've got a better suggestion at $2000ish, maybe a few hundred extra, that can do what I want...let me know.
I know this is spam, but I have the urge to say it so without further ado...

I'M GONNA MOW MY SPLAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
^*Reported*

Anyways back on topic...

I think you should go for the JVM; and the TSLs are nice.

The distortion on the DSL is a bit tighter than on the TSL, but still I prefer TSLs.
Quote by Dobzilla
^*Reported*

Anyways back on topic...

I think you should go for the JVM; and the TSLs are nice.

The distortion on the DSL is a bit tighter than on the TSL, but still I prefer TSLs.

I ordered a TSL601 on special 2 weeks ago. I rang the place up and they claim the supplier ahsnt delivered yet, and wont for 2-3 weeks. I hate allans music.
If you want versatility then it's JVM for sure. If you just want one great tone then I'd look for a used 2203/2204 and boost the **** out of them.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
If you really want versitility, get the JVM, I've heard great things.

And yea, look at other brands too, some amps get the Marshall sound better than Marshalls do.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Pacarazzi

1. Marshall JCM2000 Dual Super Lead 100 Package:
GC: $1945.99
After discounts: $1551.39

they are VERY nice
good sound =]
Top lel.
I've heard the Vintage Modern is awful

But that the JVM is one of the best amps Marshall have made in YEARS!!
I'd deffinately recommend trying it out
I didn't really like the JVM.. Sure it has 12 different modes but most of them were.. meh

I think you should just go with the DSL. You should be able to find one used way cheaper than that so then you'll have more money for a better cab.
check out orange.... it does marshall better than marshall these days
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
i think ceriatone would be your best bet. a JTM45 would do VERY well, cheaper yet better than marshalls now. then get a 4x12 cab and load them with greenbacks/v30s combi. it might even be cheaper than 1.5k.
Quote by latinosuperstud
check out orange.... it does marshall better than marshall these days

I don't think so. Oranges are good but if he wants a Marshall then I think he should buy a Marshall. You cant get an exact Marshall sound unless you buy a Marshall or a Marshall clone.

If he's just looking for a British sounding in similar vein to Marshall, then I'd suggest Oranges as suggested, Peavey Windsor (not heard one though), Mesa Stilletto (since you're in the states) and my preferred choice Laney amps especially the GH/VH series.

I just got an old AOR 30W head and it sounds awesome. It's got very aggressive mids and a strong bottom end, I got a pretty good Van Halen-I'm the One intro tone out of it last night. Best of all it only cost me £120
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
U not thought about the JCM 800? I got that and 4x12 1960a cab for £1300 brand new. U shud be able get it fair cheap second hand.
www.myspace.com/bluecollars

My Gear
Fender telecaster deluxe 72
Fender squire strat
Crafter acoustic
Boss ME-50
MXR 10 band EQ
EHX DMM
Marshall JCM 800 100w head
Marshall 1960a cab 4x12
Boss BR-1600
When I bought my Mesa Stiletto, I tried a JCM800 and I found the Marshall to have a more generic, thin, and (dare I say?) sterile sound. If I were you I would check out a Mesa Stiletto Deuce with a Marshall 1960A cabinet.

BTW, Stilettos are often described as a hot-rodded, more modern-sounding JCM800, so it might be up your alley.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
This may have been said already, but two things :

1.) Do you really need a Marshall?

2.) GET AN ORANGE.
Quote by KazVH100R
I don't think so. Oranges are good but if he wants a Marshall then I think he should buy a Marshall. You cant get an exact Marshall sound unless you buy a Marshall or a Marshall clone.

If he's just looking for a British sounding in similar vein to Marshall, then I'd suggest Oranges as suggested, Peavey Windsor (not heard one though), Mesa Stilletto (since you're in the states) and my preferred choice Laney amps especially the GH/VH series.

I just got an old AOR 30W head and it sounds awesome. It's got very aggressive mids and a strong bottom end, I got a pretty good Van Halen-I'm the One intro tone out of it last night. Best of all it only cost me £120

well i happen to think of marshalls as one trick poneys, where as orange can do that trick and more, and for a cheaper price (depending on which model)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
My personal opinion is that the JCM 2000 series are best left as combo amps, DSL an TSL, its almost as if they are designed to be combos and the head versions were added as an afterthought. They do not sound lovely. So for you im with everyone who said the JVM would be the best bet, at least give it a go? Ive started seeing them in shops.
Diezel, Motherfucker
I played a JVM this monday and it has ****ing incredible cleans. The crunch sounded great, and it did metal very well, although the metal setting still had that distinct Marshall sound you'll always expect, whether you like it or not is up to you. The JVM is unbelievably versatile and you should do pretty much anything with it, so it should be right up your alley.
Guitarist, Bassist, Drummer, Pianist, and Singer (if you consider Death Metal Growls and Screeches singing!)

My Songs:
Post-Hardcore(ish) Song
Quote by KazVH100R

"The Marshall sound" is a cranked Plexi or JCM 800, and the Orange will come closer than any of Marshall's modern amps.

To threadstarter: Check out the Peavey JSX.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^agreed on the organe part. Disagree with JSx. They've gotten way to high up in price. When they used to be $1.15k they ere worth it. now with $1300 and above no way

as for a versitile amp, 2 amps speak this with that budget

Mesa Mark Iv, or a used Soldano sl-100 if you can find one

JVM was cool, but it sounded just like my jsx. So price wasnt too justified.

the vintage modern was great tho, you have to crank it to get its full depth
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Yay! Someone who's serious and knows what they're talking about!

I second the JCM900 if you REALLY need a Marshall, but you should check out some other brands. Try the Mesa Rectifier series or a Peavey Windsor.