Do you use the amps and effects you would when you perform?

I usually practice without amps or anything, just me n' my guitar.... But my rythm guy keeps saying 'you'll get better at managing the effects if you add them in your practice routine.'

Be my personal mythbusters on this one. True or not?
It could,

He's right in the sense you'll get used to the way it'll sound live... But you don't have to...
Well, he was trying to say that i'd be better at using the effects to the advantage of my playing, thereby making me sound better if I practiced with my effects on. Is he right? >_<
The whole point of practicing is to rehearse your live performance. If you use certain effects when you play live, then use them when you practice.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Well yes, you will get better at using your effects.
When you practice you'll probably tweak the odd EQ/effect level/some kind of knob every now and again to make your sound better. Once you find the sound you really like you'll remember how to get it and you'll use it live and have a slightly better performance.
It's not gonna make a massive difference usually, and so it doesn't matter if you don't practice with effects, but like anything the more you do it the better you become.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
If you wanna control and expect what your'e gonna sound like on stage, than your guy is right.
...And The Nominees Are
I play with an amp whenever I can. I play bass and I practice slapping a lot, it's easier to hear the quality of your slap and pop when you use an amp.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...