Hey guys, alright, let's start by saying that I play around 2-3 months now.
But the thing is, I've only played songs from tabs etc.
But I want to know music theory, develop my technique and whatnot.
I've only started to see the importance of these things since this week.
However, I'm not really sure what to do, so I was hoping if the more experienced people here at UG could make some sort of "schedule" for me.
It doesn't even need to be very detailed, although that would be very much preffered.
And well, with schedule I mean stuff like: -put your metronome at 80bpm, then start playing this tab for developing finger strenght: *tab*
And the likes.
You know, like excersises for developing finger strenght, alternate picking speed, music theory and everything else that is good to know as a great guitarist.
I don't know if I'm being kinda vague, but I'm really devoted to playing guitar, and would really like to be some sort of "guitar-wizzkid", so I would really appreciate it if someone could come up with something like this.
As I said I'm quite devoted and willing to learn anything.
Last edited by phraject at Jun 29, 2007,
Do you know the notes across the fretboard? Thats something important. Like if i told you 5th fret on the E string, would you be able to identify the note???
Seriously,

You can't schedule everything... Try and do one thing and stick to it until it comes with ease... then progress... That worked for me anyway...
Quote by Captian Xero
Seriously,

You can't schedule everything... Try and do one thing and stick to it until it comes with ease... then progress... That worked for me anyway...

But it is soo hard :]. There is so much cool things to get know.... And what is dropkick police?
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
Quote by One Way Ticket
Two weeks ago, Yngwie Malmsteen walked up to me at a mall and gave me a bag of donuts. He told me "I don eat no focking donuts".
Quote by minichibi
Do you know the notes across the fretboard? Thats something important. Like if i told you 5th fret on the E string, would you be able to identify the note???

No I couldn't, I'll guess I'll be working on that first then!
Any tips?
Quote by Shawrie
Simple...get lessons.

I'm sorry but if that was an option I would've already made a move.
The thing is, in my area the only option to get lessons at is at some music school, and I can only enter that school at the start of each school year, so it's quite some time left.
(MY GOD! MY INTERNET IS MESSED UP! THIS IS THE THIRD TIME I TYPE THIS MESSAGE!!!!)

*takes a deeeeeep breath* ok.... there are 12 notes: A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#

Keep in mind the following things:
1) There are no sharps or flats between B and C, E and F (atleast while your a beginner remember that).
2) A# = Bb. D# = Eb. Etc. The sharp of the note before any note is the flat of that note.
3) The strings, starting from the highest SOUNDING one are: E B G D A E.
4) Find a fretboard diagram on google and look for patterns to help you remember.

Ill do the E string for you:
E |------1-----2----3-----4-----5-----6-----7-----8-----9-----10-----11-------12-----|
Notes: F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E

Keep in mind that the 12 fret is always the same as that string played open. After the 12th fret the sequence repeat.

When learning scales and modes later keep in mind that each fret is concidered half a step, and every two frets is considered a whole step. (E.g.: Between E and F there is a half step while between C and D there is a whole step due to there being a C#/Db)

Good luck. If this message doesnt post, im shooting myself. o_O
Quote by Shawrie
Simple...get lessons.

-_- if you told everyone that, whats the point of this thread?
Oh ok that helps alot!
So basicly, the third fret on the second string (so the a string, and according to the way you just explained things the note c?) is the same as the 15th fret on the same string, which then ofcourse is also a c, just an octave higher (if I'm not mistaken)?

EDIT: Alright, nevermind this thread, I've found a couple of websites that suit me in the explaning department, I guess I just didn't know where to start!
And thanks minichibi, you might not understand but you've helped me alot! Not just with the notes.
Last edited by phraject at Jun 29, 2007,
-_- if you told everyone that, whats the point of this thread?

There's is no point.
UG official slayer fan club member #3