I kinda like those inexpensive Johnson Strat copies. From their website, it says they're made of Alder. I specially like the neck, slightly beefier/thicker than the regular Fenders, but then I prefer LPs with the 50s-style necks.

It should be a good platform for mods and you can't beat the price ... I've seen new ones sell for $80 or less.

BTW, if you like divebombs, Johnson sells an inexpensive guitar with an Original FR for the silly price of $200 or less. Good Luck!

Quote by Ippon

BTW, if you like divebombs, Johnson sells an inexpensive guitar with an Original FR for the silly price of $200 or less. Good Luck!

^ Hes modding it....
Option 1- Johnson copy (<$80 most likely)
Change everything in it to better electronics (lets say about $250)
Repaint perhaps ($50)
Total for a chunk of alder with nice electronics/finish- $380

Option 2- Fender Strat- $250 used
Change everything in it to better electronics (lets say about $250)
Repaint perhaps ($50)
Total for a chunk of alder with nice electronics/finish- $550

Go for the Johnson
Yeah, but if you get a strat....you don't need to change anything. It's already amazing. And I'm pretty sure I could change all the electronics and other things for less then $250.

I actually have though about doing this....and I might, because I already have it. Probably get pickups, tremelo, tuners, neck, and repaint.

edit: make sure to post pics when your done, and have you heard of anyone else doing this? Pics?
Well I've already got a MIM Fender and A Rebuilt Squier. I will most likely get this guitar for free anyways or for really cheap.. Just wanted to know if they were any good, to see if they are worth modding. As in, if they are alder or not, etc.