Hello. I have been going around the neihbor hood for weeks now doing all sorts of jobs for cash and it seems I now have $350. So I am going to guitar center tommorow and I was hoping someone can help me. I want a nice upgrade guitar from my ibanez giio. I AM QUITE HAPPY WITH MY AMP and want a new guitar. Im hoping to get a nice bluesy tone out of a guitar but without comprimising the whole grungy metal feel. I play anything and All I can spend is what I have $350.

Preferably something light. with a thin neck.
I'veheard good things about strotocasters and les pauls but arent they a little out of my price range? Thanks for your time.
What is you're amp, out of interest...just because you're happy with it doesn't eliminate the possibility that a new amp won't make you a whole lot happier.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, what guitar do you have, 350 is like beginner - intermediate level guitar, I suggest saving up around 700 bucks then buying a guitar, people on UG are way to buy-happy.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Save up another $350 and buy my Jackson hahaha.

But on a serious note, You can't go wrong with a used mexi or jap strat, anything Ibanez, some dinky Jacksons in that range are nice, basically just play everything at that price range and choose which one you fall in love with. No one is going to be able to tell you what guitar you're going to like no matter what genre you play. Look at me I play primarily blues, funk, light rock, classic rock, etc. and I ended up with a Jackson, a "metal" guitar. Play everything and see what feels best for you.
Playing more paintball and reading more books than playing guitar lately.
Check out the lower-mid end Epihone les pauls, Sg's(especially for that grungy tone) and check out some of the Schecters as well
With that amp, you could be playing the greatest guitar in the world and still not acheive the tone you want.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but unfortunately in this case the amp is 99.9% of the problem. If you save a little more you can get yourself an amp that will give you the tone you want with that setup. Then later on you can get a new guitar.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I would definately recommend purchasing the ibanez s470. It is around that price, it is a top quality guitar. Very light, thin model, thin neck and has a great sound for all styles.
The style that suits this guitar best is definately around the likes of metal. Great purchase.
Seriously, a new amp would make you a WHOLE lot happier than a new guitar. A new guitar will feel different, but it won't change your sound - don't take my word for it though. When you go to GC have a play with a Vox Valvetronix and a Roland Cube 30X (threaten the employee with violence if he tries to plug you into a Line 6 Spider or Marshall MG though), both those amps will give you access to a wide array of different tones and they'll all be better thatn the tones you're currently getting. If that Ibanez is the only amp you've ever used I gurantee your jaw will pretty much drop to the floor when you plug into a Vox or Cube.

You could even take your guitar with you so you can definitely hear that it's the amp that's making the difference. If you don't like them or can't hear much difference then fair enough, grab a strat or something but and amp WILL benefit you more without a doubt.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
SAVE UP MORE. You may want that new guitar right away, but you will be som much more satisfied if you saved up more and got something with much better quality. And really, I don't know of many great guitars for $350. If you want something really nice, I'd say you'd probrably be spending around $500. That way, you won;t be back next year wanting a new guitar.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
I've played some strats in the $400 range that were still awesome. And they're really cool at guitar center usually, so if you tell them you've only got $350, you might get a deal.
Warwick Corvette Double Buck 5 String
Ibanez GSR190
Ibanez RG3EX1
Cort Earth-70
1962 Danelectro Silvertone 1448
Ampeg BA-115
Line 6 Spider II 210
Vox DA5
Autographed Dunlop Wylde Wah
M-Audio Keystation 49e
Quote by steven seagull
Seriously, a new amp would make you a WHOLE lot happier than a new guitar. A new guitar will feel different, but it won't change your sound - don't take my word for it though. When you go to GC have a play with a Vox Valvetronix and a Roland Cube 30X (threaten the employee with violence if he tries to plug you into a Line 6 Spider or Marshall MG though), both those amps will give you access to a wide array of different tones and they'll all be better thatn the tones you're currently getting. If that Ibanez is the only amp you've ever used I gurantee your jaw will pretty much drop to the floor when you plug into a Vox or Cube.

You could even take your guitar with you so you can definitely hear that it's the amp that's making the difference. If you don't like them or can't hear much difference then fair enough, grab a strat or something but and amp WILL benefit you more without a doubt.

Seconded, although if you're serious about playing save up about 200 bucks more and grab a tube amp, can't go wrong there.
Playing more paintball and reading more books than playing guitar lately.
Quote by JunctionP
Save up another $350 and buy my Jackson hahaha.

But on a serious note, You can't go wrong with a used mexi or jap strat, anything Ibanez, some dinky Jacksons in that range are nice, basically just play everything at that price range and choose which one you fall in love with. No one is going to be able to tell you what guitar you're going to like no matter what genre you play. Look at me I play primarily blues, funk, light rock, classic rock, etc. and I ended up with a Jackson, a "metal" guitar. Play everything and see what feels best for you.

Great advice here.