hey guys. this may seem like a noob question but it is a frequently occuring one, so here goes: i listen to thrash,death,technical death,trance and good 'ol regular metal and i was wondering how to hear the bass and the specific notes hit in the songs i listen to. ive tried the basics: pulling my hair back and getting real close to the speakers,cleaning my ears,and adjusting the equalizer in itunes ad wmp. are my ears just messsed up from over exposure to loud noises or does it come with experience?
get a decent sound system and crank the bass up!
thats what i do
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Well for one I loathe the amounts of sub genres that metal claims to have. Secondly you will not here bass in most metal songs because of to reasons; i) Distorted guitars cover up so much bass it's not even funny. ii) A lot of metal bass is distorted and therefore you will be hard pressed to distinguish it from the guitars.
Basically, you can turn up the EQ on the bass and sometimes that helps, but you just have to develop it. Before I played bass, I barely knew what a bass sounded like, but now I can hear it clearly in most songs. Although, in thrash metal, it can be hard to hear anything in detail. The basslines are usually quite good, you just can't hear it...
Warwick Corvette Double Buck 5 String
Ibanez GSR190
Ibanez RG3EX1
Cort Earth-70
1962 Danelectro Silvertone 1448
Ampeg BA-115
Line 6 Spider II 210
Vox DA5
Autographed Dunlop Wylde Wah
M-Audio Keystation 49e
Chances are you ARE hearing the bass, ever hear a metal band without a bass player, it sounds very thin.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
It takes practice, and knowing what the bass sounds like, but it's still pretty much impossible to hear in some songs.
I find it's better not to turn up the bass, but to turn it actually right down and listen for a little while. Then, turn it up full and you should be able to hear it clearly.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

I'm having chicken nuggets for lunch.

My Day > Yours
i hear the bass at 95% of the times, no matter what... its just an ear-training issue for most people...
you shouldn't get closer to the speaker, that is for sure, u gotoa stay a distance away. And you can turn up the bass but then u just get the rumble NOT THE NOTES you have to train yoursel to listen for it, but in many metal songs the bass is turned down for some stupid ****ed reason. so yea
you need some kind of subwoofer to hear it well
!PRS Custom 24 ten top!
Ric 4001!!
Fender Cyclone 2
2x Harmony Acoustics
Goya 107 Range Master

Quote by x8blitzkid8x
people ruin metal like a7x.
I don't play bass, but my sister does so she points out the bass parts to me if I can't hear them. Most of the time though, I can hear the bass parts just fine, you just have to ignore the vocals and guitars the first time you're trying to hear it and every time you listen to that song again, you'll totally hear the bass along with the guitars and vocals.
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
Quote by Alexander_BR
I actually feel it's easier to feel the bass if you know what I mean, or I'm just going crazy.

Definately. But also physically, I'll have a song playing and I can be at the other end of the house - the bass will be the last thing I can hear before it all fades off. I feel that the more music you listen to that prominantly features bass [such as jazz et funk], you'll begin to find it easier to distinguish bass in other genres where it may be more difficult.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

Quote by HeavenlyVirus
It takes practice, and knowing what the bass sounds like, but it's still pretty much impossible to hear in some songs.

So to do that, take all the bass off, listen and then put it back on, or just turn the bass way up and take the treble off.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Definitely get a subwoofer hooked up to your stereo, then crank the bass on your EQ. The sub will play almost exclusively the bass, which makes it easy to pick up the bassline.
well if you have an ipod go to eq in the settings and select bass booster, there's stuff like that on cd players too, but besides that ignore the guitars, that's what I do when I can't hear the bass
i hate tehse sub catories metal has
**** is ****, lol
but nah, you probs cant hear it cause the abssest is **** and just playing the same as the rythm guitar ( as in most metal bands) or you just have a **** soundsystem
Quote by Jugband Blues
Plug your computer into your bass amp and it'll be a lot easier to hear.

how would i do that?
well u should start by listening to old korn becuase new stuff jsut sucks and fieldy plays slap bass so its really good for hearing espeacially in live videos like the one that came with the greatest hits so listen to that then get into the harder stuff
Quote by BassTamer
how would i do that?

I'd imagine it'd be easy with a standard cable and an adapter. In fact, now I want to try it.
Chances are you ARE hearing the bass, ever hear a metal band without a bass player, it sounds very thin.

got any examples?

i had to train myself to distinguish the bass from the guitars, but now its easier.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

I can hear the bass most of the time (unless it is really buried in there). I think it's just a matter of getting your ears accustomed to it.
Listen to Dream Theater, its very easy to distinguish their bass from the guitar. Then move to more homogenated music. With practice, you'll be able to pick out the bass from the band no problem.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
one of the thing we must all hate

bands turning down bass players

its a thing bands do to, but that YOU should aviod

and to help, like most people are saying hear, kind of train you listening
Quote by Hergiswi
I'd imagine it'd be easy with a standard cable and an adapter. In fact, now I want to try it.

+1

Buying a new sound system definitely helps. I bought some Dell speakers with a subwoofer and I can hear the bass without turning it up. Also get Guitar Pro and learn the bassline and how it goes then go back to the song to hear it. I did this with a couple songs and can pick up how the bassline goes now.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
ya i bought some 60 watt logitech speakers with a subwoofer for my computer and now the bass is easy to find.

If i'm trying to figure out the bass line i just turn the subwoofer up and the other speakers down and it just shoots the bass right at me.... and the bass drum which sometimes in metal music can make it difficult to hear the bassline even then. Crazy awesome double bass drum!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I used to be unable to hear the bass parts too
it was because of my crappy desktop speakers.

I got a new set, including subwoofers, and now everything sounds complete.

It's more of a rumble, if you get what I mean
The music the threadstarter listens to characteristically have the bass very low down in the mix. Also it does depend on how you listen to your music. Crappy iPod earphones aren't going to replicate bass frequencies very well.