Hey guys,

im going out to try the classic 30 and vc 30 out and i do sometimes play ozzy osbourne which is the heaviest i go. So i would like some suggestions for some od pedals. A few suggestions would be nice.

thanks
Tubescreamer, Bad Monekey, Fulltone, OCD
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
yeah, volume all the way up, gain kinda low, and tone set to preference will boost the amp which is what is key to theit tone. boost.
They actually don't have that much gain they just give you a boost. For playing Ozzy I would look at distortion pedals instead. Unless you find an overdrive with a turbo boost such as an OD-2
Gear

Custom fender stratocaster
Tokai Love Rock
Gibson ES-335
Vintage Ibanez V
Dillion PRS style

Fender DeVille 4X10
Peavey bravo 112

Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez DCL
Marshall Govnor 2
Little big muff
Boss ds-1
Boss me-50
Crybaby wah
You don't need a lot of gain to do this. He's going to be using it in combo with his amps gain, he doesn't need anymore gain, with the knob on 2-3 will be more than enough
so do you guys think that the peavey classic and an od would be able to do ozzy osbourne then?

I don't know if this is the right amp for me. Sure i play a lot of buddy guy and SRV and led zeppelin and jimi hendrix which from what ive heard the classic 30 can deal with pretty well but i also play 80's rock like van halen and motley crue and im just not too sure whether there is a better amp out there. I guess ill have to go try one out. Are there any other amps that i should try out and may suit my styles better. If this thing can do 80's rock well then that would be great.
well i will try those out.

Would perhaps for the ozzy osbourne and heavier stuff i play could i not just use something like and EHX metal muff?
i'd have thought with an od a classic 30 or vc30 could get you to that territory. I haven't tried it myself, but based on the amount of gain they have, etc.

EDIT: what guitar are you using? i'm assuming a bridge humbucker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 30, 2007,
^ yeah, i was just making sure you had something with humbuckers, as they distort faster.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so you think the classic 30 and an od would be able to do it then. Well thats good, ill have to try it to see for myself.

You think it could do van halen and motley crue well?
^ wouldn't be my first choice, but it should do it ok.

ditto the vc 30. make sure you try the laney too, it's a bit cheaper, and IMO, better. at louder volumes the classic 30 doesn't sound as good, IMO, though i hear a speaker and tube swap will help with that (but then that's even more expense...).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ wouldn't be my first choice, but it should do it ok.

ditto the vc 30. make sure you try the laney too, it's a bit cheaper, and IMO, better. at louder volumes the classic 30 doesn't sound as good, IMO, though i hear a speaker and tube swap will help with that (but then that's even more expense...).
+1

The C30 is overpriced in the UK, the VC30 is far more competetively priced and therefore you get alot more for what you pay.

As an aside, if you do get a new amp then you'll want to replace the Epi Les Paul's pickups. They must cost Epiphone about 50p each, they're uber muddy. With a set of Swinesheads along with the VC30 you'll notice a massive tonal improvement.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Well if it wouldnt be your first choice is there annother amp i should know about. My plan is to eventually get the pickups changed but i would like a new amp first as im stuck with an mg
^ It would still be first choice until your budget goes up to around £800
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
Last edited by plankermaxx at Jul 1, 2007,
^ Yeah

You don't really need that much gain, if it's older Ozzy stuff. I can get surprisingly close to Sabbath tones with a maxed-out VJ and my Strat with some tone knob tweaking.
I've heard that the classic 30's stock are not very good (im not sure of the vc 30's) and it would be a good idea to retube when purchased. Now i was wondering how much a retube would cost? Also what tubes would suit my style of playing?
Wel they'd be 4 EL84s and 3 12AX7s, you'd need a matched quad of EL84s and whatever combination of 12AX7s you want. the V1 position of preamp valves is the most important, with the others really just needing the valves and not making too much difference, but there's still some difference offered. I'd say get a matched quad of JJ EL84s for sure, they're great power valves in any application.

For preamp valves you want Tung-sol 12AX7s all round if you can find them, but if not you can go with Electro-Harmonix 12AX7s, they're a bit darker and have more gain, so they would probably suit you more. If you want all-out highgain then go JJ 12AX7s, but these are very bassy and highgain. They might well make your amp muddy and compromise lower gain tones but give you very good highgain. I'd go with 3 of the EHX.

That'd add up to:

4x JJ EL84 @ £8 each
3x EHX 12AX7 @ £8 each

£56 (no VAT, prices from watfordvalves.com, no shipping costs added either)

I got my valves from watfordvalves, they have good service and stock but quote prices excluding VAT and shipping. My order rose from £20 to £30 as a result of shipping and VAT. Shipping is about £10 and VAT about 20% (roughly) so you're looking at a total sum of about £77?
Last edited by MrCarrot at Jul 1, 2007,
Are the stock tubes in the vc 30 good? Do the 2 amps have about the saem amount of gain?

If i changes the tubes in the C30 it would cost £450 in total whether as the vc30212 would be £370.

Is there a big difference between the vc 30 212 and 210? as in sound
2x12 is a fatter, more bassy sound and the 2x10 is less bassy and more trebly. IMO 12s are the best guitar speakers generally, and you'd want the bass presence for your gain. The C30 may have a miniscule amount more gain, but as you turn the gain up it gets fizzier. They can both do upto around Led Zeppelin on their own, the VC30 doesn't get fizzy at highgain though it's just crunch.

The VC30 is meant to have TAD valves. These are better than the no-name equivalents in the Peavey and don't really need replacing until they start to go off, they work pretty well.
Geez mr carrot you are fast

Well with the money saved on the vc 30 i could buy a decent overdrive pedal.

This would help me play van halen right? and early ozzy right?

And a good ovedrive pedal to do what im looking for would be the bad monkey?

What about the tubescreamer?

thanks for thew help man
No worries

Yeah a decent overdrive would help. I've got a Bad Monkey, it's decent for what you pay and is fairly transparent but isn't Tubescreamer quality, it's more what you'd buy if on a strict budget, as I was. It's very mid-orientated. I'd go for something like the Maxon OD9, Ibanez TS9, maybe look into Keeley's pedals like their modded Blues Driver, modded SD-1, modded Tubescreamers etc, which can also be found on watfordvalves.
Quote by MrCarrot
+1

The C30 is overpriced in the UK, the VC30 is far more competetively priced and therefore you get alot more for what you pay.

As an aside, if you do get a new amp then you'll want to replace the Epi Les Paul's pickups. They must cost Epiphone about 50p each, they're uber muddy. With a set of Swinesheads along with the VC30 you'll notice a massive tonal improvement.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Krieg Commando
Well if it wouldnt be your first choice is there annother amp i should know about. My plan is to eventually get the pickups changed but i would like a new amp first as im stuck with an mg

it depends. how much lighter stuff do you play?

if you play primarily 80's metal, something like a peavey windsor (or if you can wait, maybe the new windsor studio combo, but you'd need to try that in case it doesn't sound the same) might be better, if you can put up with crap/non-existent cleans. but the vc30 would be better for lighter/more vintage tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
woot, triple post!

anyway, from my experience, the vc30 was good enough not to immediately upgrade, while the classic 30 wasn't. A retube and new speaker is liable to cost around £100- and for an amp that's already almost £100 more, it's getting to be almost twice the price of the vc30.

Don't get me wrong, a speaker swap, and doubtless tube swap, would help the laney too, but it's more of a luxury than a necessity.

Quote by plankermaxx
^ It would still be first choice until your budget goes up to around £800

maybe not just that far, but yeah, certainly within its price range and quite a bit higher.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yer i play am into blues and dire straits, led zeppelin, some ACDC, thin lizzy, jimi hendrix, deep purple and pink floyd stuff. That is what the vc30 does well right?

I'm also into van halen stuff from the albums 'fair warning' and '1984'. If you listen to 'drop dead legs' thats the kind of van halen sound im after.

From what i have heard the Ibanez tubescreamer is thew most talked about od pedal. Does it live up to its expectations?
^ yeah, the vc would be much better than the windsor, in my opinion, for most of those bands you listed in your first sentence there- ac/dc and thin lizzy might be about equal on both.

VH doesn't use all that much gain, but it is quite a marshally tone. I think you should be alright, certainly if you have a boost pedal.

the maxon od808 would be worth a look too, and is cheaper than an ibanez TS. it's basically the same thing, if not better. if you're willing to spend around £100, though, you have quite a lot of options. I'd be inclined to hit denmark street, as one of the things they are good at is pedals (though take the prices with a pinch of salt, certainly don't buy before checking what the RRP and street price is, they have no qualms about quoting you prices way over RRP if you aren't clued up!). There are loads of boutique pedals available to try there, a lot of them not much more than a tubescreamer- HBE, zvex, black box, etc., etc.

Of course, is it wise spending £150 on a pedal when you're only spending £300 on an amp? I dunno.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
probably try a bad monkey and boss sd1 to see what they're like.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey i've seen how much everything costs and analysed it all

I'm looking heavily into the bad monkey because of its price. It's half that of the ibanez ts9.

It would cost me the same to buy

VC30112 + Tubescreamer

and

VC30 210 + bad monkey

I'd be able to get a better amp. The bad monkey is an ok od pedal right? Would the second option be a better choice?
well i got the metal muff, it will do metal and blueszy type distortion effortlessly, and if you muck about with it a bit like i did you can get a hendrix overdrive sorta fuzz tone
^^ i'd be inclined to try both, the differently-sized speakers will affect the tone, i'm not certain either is "better".
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?