Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a guitar for playing primarily Power/Thrash/Melodic Death Metal, 24 Frets are a must (I already have a guitar with 22 and I find myself looking for the extra 2) and I'd really like an OFR or similarly good locking trem (I'll consider a guitar without it, but I'm really looking for one). I'd also prefer a Mahogany body, but again I'll consider others (Provided it still has good sustain). Stock pickups aren't really a concern as I'll eventually replace them with, more than likely, Bareknuckles. My budget is around 1000 Euro.

I was looking at an Ibanez RG1570, but I hear the tone can be kinda thin for metal rythm parts. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

EDIT: Also, Schecter are pretty much impossible to find in Europe, so I've pretty much ruled them out.

EDIT 2: My Budget is around $1350 American, $1430 Canadian, $1592 Austrailian and 670 Pounds (Key isn't working)
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jun 30, 2007,
my hellraiser has an OFR and it's mahogany but I don't think it does much for sustain because I think tremelo bridges seem to kill sustain, my fixed-bridge warlock sustains longer than the hellraiser sometimes.
^You can get the Hellraiser without an FR so check out both versions.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I've heard great things about the Hellraiser but unfortunately they're pretty much Impossible to find in Europe. I should edit that in the first post.
What about a Jackson Rhoads?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I was considering an RR24 for while, but I thought the Alder body with a maple neck thru and EMG81 might be too biting and treble heavy for what I'm looking for. I saw the RR3 aswell but I'm not sure about the LFR, I know some of them are great but I really don't like the idea of it eventually going on me. The RR3 is also 22 frets and I thought the bolt on neck might limit upper fret access on a V.
Well there is a wide variety of them available, surely you can find one you like...or are they more than 1000?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Well there's the RR1 which is about twice my budget, and RR5 which doesn't have a FR or 24 frets :/ Which is a shame because I hear great things about Jackson and I love the Rhoads shape
What kind of guitar do you have now?
Quote by Senor Kristian
My main guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul with a Bareknuckle Miracle Man in the bridge. I love it, it's by far the best guitar I've ever played, and I'll always play it but I just want something a little different to have aswell.
Ahh, you know you should really go after a schecter than because they are similar to a Les Paul in some aspects but its a totally different guitar, definately look into the Hellraiser as it the best bang for the buck.
Quote by Senor Kristian
I would love something like a Hellraiser FR, but unfortunately I can't get them anywhere. No Shops have them here and I can't find it online anywhere that will ship to Europe.
Where there is a will there is a way GNR4EVER. Wait it out a bit longer and see if you can find one. Also, where in Europe do you live?

Did you try Schecter's Official Website? As obvious as that sounds I have to ask.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Jun 29, 2007,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by zakatak9389
Yeah, the hellraiser is the best guitar for the price, I have a blackjack though, and it still kicks ass. But if not a schecter, then check out some jacksons, like the DKMG, I played it, and it's pretty nice, but I don't know any of the specs for it though.

Thanks, I'll check it out

Quote by The Virtuoso
Where there is a will there is a way GNR4EVER. Wait it out a bit longer and see if you can find one. Also, where in Europe do you live?

Did you try Schecter's Official Website? As obvious as that sounds I have to ask.

If I can't find anything now, I'll wait it out and see if any pop up. Thanks for the help I'm in Ireland btw.

Quote by steven seagull

I thought the M1000 had a Licensed Floyd, I'll definately consider it now. The streetwalker kinda looks like a Jackson Kelly that someone took a lighter to Doesn't look like it would be the most comfortable to play. I was looking at the Morrigan but It looks kinda bulky. The KH looks nice but I don't really like the idea of playing a sig guitar. Thanks for the links
No problemo.
Quote by Senor Kristian
I though that about the Streetwalker too....looks like a retarded Kelly.

I have to admit, the M1000 is damned sexy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I though that about the Streetwalker too....looks like a retarded Kelly.

I have to admit, the M1000 is damned sexy.

Indeed, Normally I don't really like the look of a backwards headstock but it really fits the M1000. Not crazy on the flame maple, but still an awesome looking guitar.
Have you considered and ESP? The LTD Deluxe series is pretty good. It just all depends on what type of body you want. If you want a LP body, the EC Series is great. Nergal uses one. You could afford an Alexi-600 or the Amott LTD Sig. The H and M series is good as well. What body do you want more?
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Though the Laiho and Amott sigs both looks nice, I'd rather not go for a sig guitar. Apart from that I don't really mind the body shape so long as it's comfortable to play.
Id say go for the M, MH, or H series. Those are always good.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
If you like the Ibanez S, just wait till the Herman Li sig comes out. Probably at Summer NAMM. 24 frets. Mohagany. Probably Dimarzio Evo's. ZR tremolo. FTW. I cant wait for this beast.
I'm back, you douchebags.
I'd rather not go for a sig, though spec wise, It does look nice
Quote by GNR4EVER
I'd rather not go for a sig, though spec wise, It does look nice

Very. It's just a normal looking S though, with 24 frets. I've seen prototypes, and you can't tell it's a signature model at all.

Shot at 2007-06-29
Not really diggin' the Orange tbh

I'm sure it's a great guitar but I still don't like the idea of a Sig, Even if it is indistinguishable from a regular guitar. It will probably be over my price range when it comes out anyways.
^ My Budget? 1351.99 according to X-Rates
Quote by GNR4EVER
^ My Budget? 1351.99 according to X-Rates

With that i'd get an Ibanez Prestige model RG. More specifically, one of the Reissue RG550's. 24 frets, bridge as good, if not better than an OFR. You'd have more than enough to throw in a full set of pickups of your choice if you find that they're not heavy enough for your style.
^ I was strongly considering (And still am) the RG1570, is the RG2550 much better? The Specs look pretty similar.

The only concern I really have with the RG's is that I've heard they can sound kinda thin, and considering I usually play with the bass around 8 or 9 on a mahogany guitar I'm afraid the RG wouldn't get quite the same heaviness and sustain as I'm looking for.
Quote by GNR4EVER
^ I was strongly considering (And still am) the RG1570, is the RG2550 much better? The Specs look pretty similar.

The only concern I really have with the RG's is that I've heard they can sound kinda thin, and considering I usually play with the bass around 8 or 9 on a mahogany guitar I'm afraid the RG wouldn't get quite the same heaviness and sustain as I'm looking for.

I would get either the 1570 or the Reissue RG550. It should get heavy enough, as long as you use extra money for pickups.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9GkQMXehP0s

Those are only the stock pickups as well.
LTD M-1000 with or without pickup change. 24 fret neckthrough, EMG pups, $950 or so in the US. Figuring the exchange rate and price differences, it should be under 1000euro even with a pup change. Alternatively you could get a MH-1000 which is set through and carved top.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
The Ibanez would definitely be the best bet for the money. Thin for metal? Nope.
rr24! thats if your still considering it. Ebony fretboard. 24 frets. I'm also considering this but i think I'm saving for a us rr1. Even though the rr1 doesn't have 24 frets. The one pickup worries me. Ive always loved v's. Cant wait to get mine.
The reissue 550 was amazing when I played it! Everything about it felt so much better than a prestige RG. I don't know if it was the original edge tremolo, or the block neck joint, but it was awesome. Not to mention the paint job.
^ The only thing that would put me off the RG550 is the neck joint, It looks much more comfortable and like it allows better fret access on the 1570
I'm in the same position as you:
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I live in Ireland
I want a guitar with a Floyd Rose and 24 frets (for Power and Melodic Death mostly, plus Hard RocK)
I have a budget of €1000
And I cant get a Hellraiser anywhere I look so I'm considering an Ibanez.

So where do you live? If you're near me we can go to the same shop and ask them to order Hellraisers in. (seperately, so it seems there's a lot of interest).
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
^ lol spooky Unfortunately I live in Roscommon and don't think I'll be able to get to Dublin any time soon :/
^ Looks awesome but tbh 1000 is pretty much as far as my budget will go, and the MH is about 150 more on the Irish site :/ I know it's not an awful lot more but after re evaluating my funds I realised now that I'm really stretching it at 1000
Page 1 of 2