Hey,
Well, my redneck dad cut some protruding roots of an elm tree of ours, and seemed to kill it. So, within the next few weeks the elm will be slowly dying, and eventually cut down. And I was wondering, would elm be an ok tonewood to use for a guitar project? All this elm will end up being burned or something unless I make something with it. I'll probably be making my own custom shape or maybe an sg shape. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have my shop teacher to help me with the body, and i'm just going to buy a neck or something.

Thanks in advance!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I think that the wood needs to be left to dry or cure or whatever for several months/years.
I mean, even if it was a plywood tree (if it existed), i'll be making a body out of it.
I just wanted to know what tonal properties elm has, like, is the tone warm or bright? Is it resonant? is it easy to finish?, that sort of stuff.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by blue_strat
I think that the wood needs to be left to dry or cure or whatever for several months/years.

True. You can't use it straight from the tree. They have kilns that are specially made for drying wood - maybe you could rent time with one from a local lumber company.
I dunno how elm would sound in a body, I've never seen an elm guitar before. How heavy and dense is it?
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
My shop teacher has a kiln, so yay.
I researched it a bit, it says it's like mahogany and walnut, with a warm tone. It seems to be heavier than alder and almost as heavy as ash.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
sweet, there's elm trees around my house!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I picked up a new guitar from eBay not that long ago. It's made from a company called Gorilla. I decided to give it a try based on the price and appearance. I didn't know until later that the body was made of Elm. The body is cut like an Ibanez S-series. with a 3x3 pointed headstock.

It feels to be about the same weight as my Ibanez RG270DX which I believe is Basswood. It has an interesting tone, but I don't have any clue what the quality of the pickups are.
my OLP MM3 bass is made of elm, and it sounds great. not too heavy, bright, but not overly, good sustain.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by blue_strat

To be done correctly it would need to air dry for at least one year then be sent to the kelm.