Page 1 of 2
I have a rather odd question for the Metal Forum.

And since I've been away for a while, why not welcome myself back with a giant flame thread?

Anyway, do any of the other UG Metal-ers listen to musicals? About 50% of my metal buds listen to broadway musicals and what not. I was just wondering if anyone else did?

I just picked up Spring Awakening soundtrack. The musical itself won 8 Tony's I believe.

Discuss, but no hate.
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
I like opera better than musicals unless you count them as the same thing idk there ok but whatever lol
Quote by Jaridv
i dont like musicals the only one that i like is the producers

One main reason people like The Producers over other musicals was due to the Movie status it has. Same with other Movie Musicals such as Rent, Hairspray, Dreamgirls, ect.

Quote by Mr.Pig
I like opera better than musicals unless you count them as the same thing idk there ok but whatever lol

I find Metal Heads like Opera a lot due to bands such as Nightwish or Epica which are heavily influenced on Operatic vocals.
Quote by zachbino57

Quote by TWISTEDFender
musicals are all right.

i saw a musical interpretation of Anthony Burgess's "A Clockwork Orange"...twas amazing
I haven't really saw too many... I've liked the ones I've saw, though.

Most old Disney movies are basically musicals, and I love those movies.

"The Sound of Music" kinda got annoying when I watched it, though.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
that's pretty gay,even though i like musical...music
i don't go around looking for the stuff,i prefer cinematic scores
if metallica made a musical. i would tailgate at it
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
I ****ing love musicals dude. My favorite is probably Westside Story, and of course, ****ing SWEENIE TODD. Man, that's a brutal ass musical. I really want to see Cabaret; I heard it was great.

edit: Damn it, I missed Spamalot this summer. It was here in town for like a week, at least. My friend said it was the best one he's ever seen.
Last edited by frozen-dirt at Jun 30, 2007,
Quote by Mudvayne_4_Life
Are your friends gay?

Nah, but in all seriousness, no, I hate musicals, but I like instrumental writers, such as Le' rue Delashay.

Sir. None of my friends are gay, nor am I gay. We can just apprieciate what talent goes into making a musical. And, being an actor myself must enjoy such things to the full extent.

Quote by frozen-dirt
I ****ing love musicals dude. My favorite is probably Westside Story, and of course, ****ing SWEENIE TODD. Man, that's a brutal ass musical. I really want to see Cabaret; I heard it was great.

edit: Damn it, I missed Spamalot this summer. It was here in town for like a week, at least. My friend said it was the best one he's ever seen.

Spamalot is hilarious. I haven't been able to see it but I do have the original broadway cast soundtrack. It's going on tour this fall and hopefully it will stop by for a quick stint. I haven't heard too much on Cabaret, accept that it is indeed incredible.

EDIT:
Quote by DeathDealer
that's pretty gay

Ignorance much?
Quote by zachbino57

Quote by TWISTEDFender
Quote by CSguitarvocal
Sir. None of my friends are gay, nor am I gay. We can just apprieciate what talent goes into making a musical. And, being an actor myself must enjoy such things to the full extent.

I was kidding, hence that I followed up with "Nah, but in all seriousness... "
I hate musicals. They're generally boring.
I like some soundtracks for movies and stuff. But only some.
I also hate the opera. I had the unfortunate experience of having to sit through one. Luckily for me I didn't have access to a firearm at the time, or I would have surely ended my life right then and there.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
i f*cking hate musicals, i only like the producers not for the musical part but b/c it was funny
i like the lord of the rings soundtrack
Wenn die Nack einfällt
bedeckt sie die Welt
mit undurchdringlicher Dunkelheit.
Kälte steigt vom boden auf
und verpestet die Luft
plötzlich...
hat das Leben neue
Bedeutung

Burzum "Dunkelheit"
I saw Phantom of the Opera on Broadway and thought it was pretty sweet. Other than that though I don't generally go searching for operas or musicals.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Quote by Inimical
What I've seen I've liked.

Big fan of Evil Dead: The Musical

Evil Dead Musical = The balls.
Quote by zachbino57

Quote by TWISTEDFender
I want to see the evil dead musical

Meh I saw a couple with my family when I was wittle. Dont do much for me. Cant really stand/afford opera.
Quote by Inimical
Big fan of Evil Dead: The Musical

I want to see that soooooo bad

I like Rocky Horror Picture Show, Little Shop of Horrors. Oh yeah. Also, My eighth birthday present was a trip to see Phantom of the Opera, and it was an AMAZING show. Never gonna forget that. Weird though for an eight year old to ask for that for his birthday Other than Phantom, never had any real love for opera, though I do enjoy it.
Quote by flying_phoenix
I want to see that soooooo bad

I like Rocky Horror Picture Show, Little Shop of Horrors. Oh yeah. Also, My eighth birthday present was a trip to see Phantom of the Opera, and it was an AMAZING show. Never gonna forget that. Weird though for an eight year old to ask for that for his birthday Other than Phantom, never had any real love for opera, though I do enjoy it.

I'm going for a second time in July.
I'm not familiar with many Broadway musicals, but I did thoroughly enjoy West Side Story.

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
eh,.. I love opera singing, but musicals ain't my bag, baby. /austin powers

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I havent seen a musical (braadway style) but I love (some) opera. I recommend the classics" "La traviata", Don Giovanni, Siegfried (my fav), overture of romeo and juliet, un ballo in maschera.

I also watched the philharmonic of new york perform Tristan and Isolde. It was great how the music tells the story w/o actors/singers. Interesting for those who care to sit down throughout the whole performance.

Im not a METALHEAD but im a big fan. Its easy to find those metalheads who (people think) are close minded and ONLY listen to loud distorted guitars but they'll be surprised how many metal fans enjoy the unthinkable.
meh, i'm not big into musicals, but i can tolerate opera. sometime when i have NOTHING to do i want to see Der Ring des Nibelungen (Wagner, and yes i speak german), if only so i can say i've seen the entire damn thing. I'm big on classical, though. i didn't start my music life as a guitarist, but as a bassoonist. so i have a pretty good background in that music, and i continue to play and listen to it as well as metal and jazz.
Quote by Pabli7o
I havent seen a musical (braadway style) but I love (some) opera. I recommend the classics" "La traviata", Don Giovanni, Siegfried (my fav), overture of romeo and juliet, un ballo in maschera.

I also watched the philharmonic of new york perform Tristan and Isolde. It was great how the music tells the story w/o actors/singers. Interesting for those who care to sit down throughout the whole performance.

Im not a METALHEAD but im a big fan. Its easy to find those metalheads who (people think) are close minded and ONLY listen to loud distorted guitars but they'll be surprised how many metal fans enjoy the unthinkable.

I saw tristan und isolde once, it was pretty good. wagner wrote some great stuff. and isn't siegfried part of the nibelung cycle?
i'm right there with you on how close-minded people can be about us metal lovers, its really stupid. seriously, though, i have no idea which is biggest: my classical collection, my jazz collection (ok, thats probably the smallest, but not tiny by any means), or my rock and metal collection.
Quote by Nightfyre
I saw tristan und isolde once, it was pretty good. wagner wrote some great stuff. and isn't siegfried part of the nibelung cycle?
i'm right there with you on how close-minded people can be about us metal lovers, its really stupid. seriously, though, i have no idea which is biggest: my classical collection, my jazz collection (ok, thats probably the smallest, but not tiny by any means), or my rock and metal collection.

haha ur right...u've done ur homework. i cant remember foreign language words haha. But now that u mention it, it rang a bell and yes it was one (out of four i think) musical in the cycle called "the ring of the nebelungen".

Jazz is not my cup of tea. It has to be unbelievable good for to like it. My classical (mostly piano) collection is as big as my rock. Chopin FTW!
Last edited by Pabli7o at Jul 1, 2007,
One main reason people like The Producers over other musicals was due to the Movie status it has. Same with other Movie Musicals such as Rent, Hairspray, Dreamgirls, ect.

yah thats basiclly it for me i would be embarrased to go see a musical
If you count Ziltoid the Omniscient as a musical, then yes i love musicals.

Now bring me a cup of your finest coffee.
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
Little Shop of Horrors
Nightmare Before Christmas
Corpse Bride
Newsies
Rent

Frankly i love the musicals, its like watching a chick flick but with more music and less acting talent lol keeps my g/f happy and me in her good books
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by progbass
musicals are all right.

i saw a musical interpretation of Anthony Burgess's "A Clockwork Orange"...twas amazing

What was it called? I'd love to see that.
Page 1 of 2