hey guys,

i was wondering if you all could help me. i've been playing guitar for a couple years now, and i want to start learning the bass, so if you all could help me pick out some bass gear i'd very much appreciate it.

for the bass i was thinking just a fender precision or jazz..would that be good? i'd be playing mostly blues, rock, classic rock, jazz, etc. maybe so metal, but barely any. are there any other suggestions?

as for an amp im not really sure, i don't know much about bass amps...i was looking at fender bassman amp line. do you guys have any other suggestions? i dont know how much money i'll be able to spend, but im guessing around 400 dollars - 300 for the guitar and 100 or so for the amp. im not really concerned about having a great sound at this point, i just wanna learn how to play!

well that was kinda long...hope you guys can read it all....and thanks!
*removed*
Just get an ibanez starter pack for about $250, and upgrade as you see necessary.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Your choice in basses sounds good. I've heard great things about both P and J basses, and since you're into those genres, a jazz bass would probably work great. Can't help you with the amp, though.

Also, please shrink your signature. It makes me want to punch nuns in the face.
fender jazz...by all means....fender jazz

even a squier jazz pack is decent, but if you have the money, stay away from that and stick to better amp/ bass

the bassman is not a bad line of amps, but they arent overly spectacular either...good for novice/intermediate players imo
Spend more money on the amp than the bass. A crappy bass will sound decent through a good amp, but a good bass will sound like crap through a cheap amp.
Fender Jazz with this amp.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

DONT GET ANYTHING FROM FIRST ACT! i made the mistake of buying a 70 dollar amp from them and it blows but i have a five string squier which sounds really good even with the crappy ass amp but i got this thing that u can change the sound from one thing to another by stepping on it (thats actually how u work it) im not sure were she got it but its really nice and im not sure if theres any bad ones of those so any is good
Quote by aixelsydevahi
Fender Jazz with this amp.

This guy knows what's going on! Save just a little more for you're amp because if you don't you'll just pay more 6 months down the line....tops.... and this amp is amazing and cheap for what it is. i played through one with an ibanez and with my old dean bass and the tone was phenomenal for the price. If i hadn't lucked into the cheap used peavey amp i've got i was going to get that exact model.

EDIT: Actually just realized i was going to get this same model... in 130 watts. I think it's $100 bucks cheaper for the 130 but if you can possibly spring for the 180 it definitely can't hurt.

This amp will last forever and be enough power to ...do....whatever it is u might want it to do.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jun 30, 2007,
basses: epiphone thunderbird, squier vintage modified

amps: you cannot get one single good amp for 100$ unless it is used... and still.....
Last edited by DesolationRow0 at Jun 30, 2007,
Yeah aixelsydevahi is right about the amp, then a Squier precision or jazz bass will do you fine.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
alex is right about the amp, but he is only willing to spend like.......100 on the amp..... if i was him i'd get the 400 and spend that whole money either in an amp, or in a bass...
Quote by DesolationRow0
alex is right about the amp, but he is only willing to spend like.......100 on the amp..... if i was him i'd get the 400 and spend that whole money either in an amp, or in a bass...

Well that's all very well and good but from reading the threadstarter's post he has neither an bass amp or a bass, so spending the whole lot on one or the other would be kinda pointless and playing bass through a guitar amp is not recommended . Threadstarter, you should always spend more money on the amp, and if you can afford to get a Squier and that Ashdown then you have a pretty good beginner setup which is also giggable if you ever need it to be.
Quote by Bumper

Well that's all very well and good but from reading the threadstarter's post he has neither an bass amp or a bass, so spending the whole lot on one or the other would be kinda pointless . Threadstarter, you should always spend more money on the amp, and if you can afford to get a Squier and that Ashdown then you have a pretty good beginner setup which is also giggable if you ever need it to be.

i said thats what i'd do (and actually did)... when i bought my bass i had to play it acoustic for a couple of mounths...
then i saved up for something good.... even though that good turned out to be **** for my own style of playing (i didnt have my own style at the time, so it was cool)... its a pretty reliable amp, i think... now im saving up for something even better... thats how most of us are with gear... we always want something better/different... as soon as he gets his for now "cheap" equipment, a couple of mounths after having it he'll want something bigger and better...
Yeah I see where you are coming from. If he can save up for the Squier and Ashdown though he won't NEED anything better for a while if bass will just be a sub-instrument and guitar will stay as his main one. We bass players always WANT something bigger or more expensive or just something different, it's just our nature .
Quote by Bumper

Get the Jazz bass 'cos they're more diverse and get a fender rumble combo, I have mine and it sounds great
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
My first bass was a Yamaha RBX 270 and i loved it, still do

not sure what amp to get though..
Ibanez SR505
Yamaha RBX 270
Epiphone G400
Ashdown MAG C410T
VOX AD100VT
Digitech BP200