Ok, I currently own a squier strat. It has served me well for about 2 years, but now I want a good Second/Intermediate level guitar.

I have a budget of about $300-400 Dollars. I love playing Punk/Grunge mostly.

Thanks

Edit: I was thinking about this guitar..Reliable maker, at a decent price: Gibson Melody Maker
Chris Redfield Of The Resident Evil Club
Last edited by Bowlingforcerea at Jun 29, 2007,
The Melody Maker should be good, but Gibson quality control isn't the best, so you might not want to get one off the internet. See if you can find a store to try one out before buying it.
Well my local guitar center has it so I would go there to purchase.
From what I've heard, low end Gibsons aren't that great. On the other hand, I've heard that Epiphone G-400s are great for the money, and I'm sure that would work for grunge, alt. rock, etc.

Edit: I should mention that I don't have any personal experience with either of those guitars.
Last edited by werty22 at Jun 30, 2007,
Yeah I looked at the Epi guitar, and I also spotted the Epi les paul standard. I've heard some good things about it too. So what do you guys think is more worth my cash, an Epi, or the Gibson? Thanks.
I don't know much about the Melody Maker, but it does only have singlecoils, so if you want a more powerful guitar then I would say an Epiphone with humbuckers.
I have the Epi LP Custom (just a slightly upgraded Standard) and it's awesome. I'd imagine the Standard isn't very different from the Custom. I've owned it for a little over two years now and it still rocks my socks.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Melody Maker

pro:
Best looking headstock ever.
Lighter weight than a 'Paul.
Even more sustain from a wraparound bridge than a tunomatic!

con:
Finish is mediocre quality.
Pickups are average at best.
Tuners are very poor quality.
Most vintage Mels are double cutaway. This is only single cutaway.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
ive got an epi les paul std. you cant go wrong with one of them. i spent weeks choosing it and played loads of different guitars. this was top of the pops by a mile. (in the price range)
Try to look at some Esp, they are good, with more agressive sound than Epi or Gibson
Gear:

Ibanez RG5EX1
ESP Viper 100

Marshall VS65R

POD xt pro
Boss Metal Zone, Metal Core, Mega Distortion

Elixir Strings