It seems as if there have been a lot of coming-of-age style movies that have been created since the '80s (Stand By Me, Breakfast Club, Almost Famous, Dazed And Confused). I'm in the midst of writing a script about teenagers (trying to do it the right way) and I've been hearing a lot lately that basically "any movie about teenagers growing up, dating, or having problems is cliche". The way it's usually worded is BS, but I am wondering if it's true.

So, UG, I ask:
Is it possible to make an amazing film about teenagers without being too cliche? Would unique character development help the film from becoming too sterotypical?

And:

Would you find a movie like this interesting?
Get Judd Nelson in it.
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
Quote by indiepistolgirl
It seems as if there have been a lot of coming-of-age style movies that have been created since the '80s (Stand By Me, Breakfast Club, Almost Famous, Dazed And Confused). I'm in the midst of writing a script about teenagers (trying to do it the right way) and I've been hearing a lot lately that basically "any movie about teenagers growing up, dating, or having problems is cliche". The way it's usually worded is BS, but I am wondering if it's true.

So, UG, I ask:
Is it possible to make an amazing film about teenagers without being too cliche? Would unique character development help the film from becoming too sterotypical?

And:

Would you find a movie like this interesting?

I think it can be done, but it certainly wouldn't be easy. Unique character development is key,in most of these movies you have the same types of people. It'd be hard to make it more realistic and unique through character development, but I think you could do it with a bit of research and trial and error.
Inhuman evil take down!
^ at your avatar.

ahahahah
Have one of the kids try to get a sex change part way through! Then have the doctor tell him that he's actually a robot, and such an operation would be impossible! That'd be quite the twist!!!
It would probably wind up as very cliche or stale but you can't rule it out. It could be done in a unique and proper way, but I'm no script writer.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
do it like Van Wilder.
It will be very hard. And the trial and error approach is very risky when it comes to making movies because that's time and money down the drain if it flops. That's why you get a lot of the same cookie cutter movies because people like to stick with the formula.

Stick with it though. How hard it will be really depends on what kind of movie you want it to be. The genre really makes a difference. Of course many would be quick to just label it a teen movie, but if it's a drama or something like that it breaks the mold and can be much different. Most movies that are labeled cliche or "teen movies" are comedy's involving teenagers.

But have you ever seen Kids or Bully? Both directed by Larry Clarke. Both are primarily about teens and their, well if you ask me over exaggerated, daily lives. That's not to say that the **** in those movies doesn't happen, but they are very harsh and gritty.

They are cult classics in that they really either scared or disgusted teenagers out of doing what the **** ups in those movies were doing. The teenagers that felt no effect or saw nothing wrong usually are part of the problem. Now where those movies didn't succeed is where they were TOO gritty and harsh. But I think Clarke was trying to send a message more than make the movies famous. The movies were too real.

Well regardless... those could be considered teen movies, but far from what you'd expect when you hear the term "teen movie"

So I guess you can say he had it half right even though he probably wasn't trying to be completely right. I forget what points I'm even trying to push here and I'm not even sure what direction to point you in. But just keep on it. There's nothing wrong with being brave and trying to tweak a formula with hopes of something better.

Just be real. But digestible. Try not to overwhelm people like those movies did.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...