well duh, when a song about how ****ty america is becomes number one, i'd say it's pretty ****ing commerciaised
Quote by Jonjy2
Haha! You are awesome Bucketbotman!! Lolz!!

+100

I CAN PUT MY FOOT BEHIND MY HEAD!

Gear
Ibanez RG370DX special edition!
Tanglewood Oddessy Acoustic
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960's A slant cab
Fender 40W amp
Dunlop Crybaby
So... the rebellion has become the conformity that it was created to destroy?

Dang... didn't see that one coming...
Quote by Cheesepuff
So... the rebellion has become the conformity that it was created to destroy?

Dang... didn't see that one coming...

AKA: Irony
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Yeah, unfortunately that's how things go. In an effort to go against the "greater evil", a rebellion starts, then others join that rebellion and share the same views, and it eventually becomes a smaller "greater evil".

I believe that's why Music changes every once in a while. Many were trying to be different or better than the last form. I'll start at Blues. Blues, to Pop of the '50s, then Classic Rock and more widespread Folk, from that spawns Soft Rock and '70s Rock and Metal, along with the growth of R&B, and Soul, which brings us to '80s Metal, Glam, Hip Hop, Electronica, '80s Pop, to Grunge, a huge increase in Alternative Rock (proving Strummer's Law), big boosts to Hip Hop, an underculture of Dance music, Nu Metal, today's Pop, all of the "-core" genres (which REALLY proves the Law), and all of whatever else has spawned.

That's a broad list of course, but it provides a decent skeleton to show how Musical tastes of the ages reinforced the Law.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
this reinforces something though that most people know forget.

the counterculture wasnt a rebellion for the sake of rebellion, it was a rebellion because they thought their conformity was right.

slash: to the guy above me, your timeline is way off.

glam started right after the 70s started and soul was the biggest thing before the british invasion in the late 60s. i mean, everyone loved soul back then. but i know that wasnt the point of your post, and i agree. all new genres are brought to the forefront by kids who can't stand what their older siblings listen to.

which is exactly why "indie" will take over in a bit.
Last edited by Avopeac at Jun 30, 2007,
Quote by LANKY LOVE
that or make realy **** music

no, that wasnt my point.

the only way to truly rebel is to shut up, since no one does that anymore. the airwaves are ruled by "I'M EDGIER!1!" and stuff like that.

oh, but they won't fool the children of the revolution, now will they?
Quote by Avopeac

the counterculture wasnt a rebellion for the sake of rebellion, it was a rebellion because they thought their conformity was right.

glam started right after the 70s started and soul was the biggest thing before the british invasion in the late 60s. i mean, everyone loved soul back then. but i know that wasnt the point of your post, and i agree. all new genres are brought to the forefront by kids who can't stand what their older siblings listen to.

you really know your music. nice.

i hope indie takes over. im not a huge fan of it, but its way better than what we have now...
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
I totally agree with the statement. That's why I don't rebel against conformity. I choose to ignore it.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by instagata0
you really know your music. nice.

i hope indie takes over. im not a huge fan of it, but its way better than what we have now...

idk, i'm against it and for it.

i'm against bands riding it's coattails (which will happen) but the arcade fire really have potential for shaking the industry.
But Dad, I wanna be different ...... like everybody else.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Avopeac

Yeah I wasn't going for dead-on accuracy, but it was 6 AM when I wrote it, and I didn't live in most of those times, so it wasn't terrible. It was kind of meant to be a bit subjective, it's not completely easy to find the exact starts of new kinds of Music, but it's easy to remember who did it well.

On the counterculture thing, you're right, but that crumbles also. The counterculture gained its own counter-counterculture, those who didn't agree with the counterculture's views , and thought their way was right. To make it simple, it snowballed from there, each culture gained its own opposition, and with new technology, new thinking, and drugs galore, it added up to a butt load of possibilities for Music's advancement. It's a never ending cycle really, even if Indie does in fact 'take over' at some point, its opposition will make itself known, and etc. etc., the cycle continues.

To be honest, as much as I don't like to see some genres 'die', it happens, and it's actually good for Music in general. In the '90s when I was younger, I couldn't get enough of Classic Rock, I thought it was the absolute best, I loved everything about it, and I thought it was terrible that it's so hard to find newer bands willing to go back to that style. Eventually I realized that some types of Music will go away after a while, and with computers and CDs and all that, I could still listen to them any time I wanted. This opened me up to accept more forms of Music, and I can tolerate just about anything now, and at some level, respect it.

oh, i agree with you on the counterculture thing, but today we have people who rebel for the sake of rebellion *cough*most "punks" now*cough* while we've never really seen it in such large numbers.

and the thing about genres dieing is that they don't really, they get absorbed by others. glam may have "died" but it was the basis of the 70s punk rebellion so it still lives on a bit.

and there are always throwback bands that don't suck. the thing that keeps them from sucking is that they don't try and sound just like it. take for instance, earl greyhound. easily the better wolfmother because, unlike wolfmother, they take cues from more than just a certian sound.
Quote by Avopeac

Ahh, the irony that most indie music isn't actully indie...

.... the term indie label can't really by paraded by sony/BMI etc.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
[Insert well-thought discussion and complementory remarks]

I would do that for real, but it's quarter after 7, I haven't slept, and I'm getting an ever increasing headache. Maybe later on, but I will say I agree with what you said about "rebelling for the sake of rebelling," that's been rampant for too long.

Quote by flyingmarlin
Ahh, the irony that most indie music isn't actully indie...

.... the term indie label can't really by paraded by sony/BMI etc.

note the quotations around indie in my post
Quote by Avopeac

That's funny because Metallica started when James Hetfield started listening to his OLDER brothers Sabbath records....

Back ON topic, theres very few "true" rebels now a days, but then againit's hard to distinguish from the "real" ones and kids that are just doing it to be cool. It doesn't really matter either way though because theres too few of the true rebels to make a difference, there may be tons of kids that do believe in anarchy or just hating the government but they're too confortable in the position they're in to jeopardize having creature comforts just for some ideals that will most likely get crushed by the government.
Last edited by XMetallica73X at Jun 30, 2007,
Quote by XMetallica73X
That's funny because Metallica started when James Hetfield started listening to his OLDER brothers Sabbath records....

because i was speaking in absolutes, right?

"older siblings" was meant to represent the age group that was right above you who listened to stuff you didnt like. do you think james liked the stuff that was popular when he was young? of course not.

then again, no one sets out to make their sound huge. if they do, they're twats.
Quote by Avopeac

then again, no one sets out to make their sound huge. if they do, they're twats.

Unfortunatley that's whats on the minds of every band that gets started now, "Ooooooh I want to be famous so I'm going to write music just so people like me..."
Quote by XMetallica73X
Unfortunatley that's whats on the minds of every band that gets started now, "Ooooooh I want to be famous so I'm going to write music just so people like me..."

well that may be on the minds of a lot of the youth today, but it always has been.

do you think elvis started soley because he loved music? led zeppelin? the beatles?

all started a band because it was the cool thing to do back then. the more things change, the more you realize they stay the same.
Quote by Avopeac
well that may be on the minds of a lot of the youth today, but it always has been.

do you think elvis started soley because he loved music? led zeppelin? the beatles?

all started a band because it was the cool thing to do back then. the more things change, the more you realize they stay the same.

I'm saying that's ALL that's on their minds, I realise that the older bands did it too. I guess the only bands that aren't in it completely for the money would be "Indie" bands, but even that labels getting ruined by Myspace and the such. Punk (real do it yourself punk) is probably another point, but thats label got tainted by 70's punk A.K.A Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones. They were wayyyy to mainstream to still be considered underground.

EDIT: The retard I am forgot Reggae+Ska bands, the old ones based in Jamaica were really only around to have an awesomely (new word) fun time, some even going as far as making their songs political in nature (Ok well maybe they ALL started out poilitcal seeing as the basis for most modern day music was in fact music the Slaves sang while working during slavery)
Last edited by XMetallica73X at Jun 30, 2007,
Quote by XMetallica73X
I'm saying that's ALL that's on their minds, I realise that the older bands did it too. I guess the only bands that aren't in it completely for the money would be "Indie" bands, but even that labels getting ruined by Myspace and the such. Punk (real do it yourself punk) is probably another point, but thats label got tainted by 70's punk A.K.A Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones. They were wayyyy to mainstream to still be considered underground.

oh, i know what you're saying. but there are always going to be the ones who are thinking like that. that's why there's one hit wonders.

eh, doesnt matter to me though why a band makes music. as long as i like it.