Page 1 of 2
Ok, so, I recently started Yr 11, needed to learn an instrument, so I decideed bass was the way to go.

I got onto Ebay ('mistake' #1) and bought a guitar for $100. Its pretty good, but its very metal. Any song I play on it sounds very dee. And ive checked, its not out of tune, its just a really deep sounding guitar. I know the bass is meant to be deep, but its overkill.

Back onto Ebay (again, Mistake) and I bought a $180 package with another guitar (an Eternity 22 Fret guitar) and an amp (Eternity 40 watt) and some other stuff. Its a pretty good amp, its practice so im not after a high quality of sound, but once again, the guitar has a small problem - the strings are pretty far from the bridge. They are raised up about 1 1/2 cms from the bridge tat the bottom. It makes going from an (eg) D to an A (on the A string) a real pain in the arse (and I know you wouldn't do that normally, but anyways).

Im basically just asking, for a newbie, who just wants a 'good' guitar and a 'good' amp without paying too much, what are the best options.

I play rock or metal style songs (Fallout boy, Rammstein, Spineshank, Blink 182). Any advice? Ill also take any playing advice anyone has.
Hmmm maybe you should check out a Squier Strat pack. It comes with a amp and a Squier Strat. Or since you already have a amp, you can just pickup a regular squier strat for $179
Frirst of all, Ebay is not a mistake as long as you know what to look for.

For a beginner with your style I would recommend a Squier P Bass.
Decent quality, very good for the price, and above all, a very big brand (Which means you got some kind of a guranteene (sp) for quality).
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by FMNStratGuy
Hmmm maybe you should check out a Squier Strat pack. It comes with a amp and a Squier Strat. Or since you already have a amp, you can just pickup a regular squier strat for $179

Dude you're in the bass forum. Check where you are before posting next time .

Threadstarter I would recommend a Yamaha RBX170, Ibanez GSR200, Squier Jazz bass or Squier Precision bass. They are pretty much the standard beginner bass.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Thanks.

Ill keep those in mind, but Im more after amp advice (although it didn't seem like it cause of my bad posting)

I either have no idea on how to use the amp properly, or its a really crap amp. If I was to keep the guitar I have (Its basically a no-name brand I think, but its good for now) what kind of amp would you recomend? I was thinking a Fender amp, but im not sure which one.

Any more advice?

Ps, ignore my bad spelling. Im may be in yr 11, but English is not my best subject... who needs English anyways......
Last edited by Quinny90210 at Jun 30, 2007,
How much do you want to spend?
Quote by Bumper

i would go for a fender MIM precision, or a squier precision (depending on what your budget is), for the kinda music you play-...

(please, try not to mention fallout boy again...cose pete wentz is (kind of) TOTALLY hated in here...)
Last edited by DesolationRow0 at Jun 30, 2007,
Hated... sounds familiar... doesn't it?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
oh shut up desolation

i like pete wentz he's obviously doing something right other he wouldn't be earning more money and hour than you earn a year.

sure his basslines are simple but thats all the song calls for theres no point soloing a mixolydian mode if all thats needed is a root note line to back up the guitar.

you can mention who the **** you like its called an opinion

please stop acting like a total noob, its posts like this that have earned you the title of biggest spammer

regards

dan
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Skater_Dan0 is right.

Pete Wentz basslines fit his music perfectly. Would FOB's songs be as catchy if the bass was going around in Phrygian and Dorians modes underneath jazz guitar parts?

No.

So, until you're as famous as him, making the same as, if not more, money, the don't try to censor other people's opinions online.

Thanks.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

britney spears and 50 cent earn loads of money and they still suck, its not earning money that makes you a good player/musician...

and i still stand by my position that if someone says that pete wentz is a great bass player... then i'm some sorta cliff burton ahah... (even though i know i still suck)...
Quote by DesolationRow0
britney spears and 50 cent earn loads of money and they still suck, its not earning money that makes you a good player/musician...

and i still stand by my position that if someone says that pete wentz is a great bass player... then i'm some sorta cliff burton ahah... (even though i know i still suck)...

They may suck, but I don't see you earning that much.

They are making money doing what they like, they do not suck to loads of peolpe out there, no matter how much you think thier opinions are wrong
Quote by Bumper

Quote by DesolationRow0

I'm sorry, are you judging them? Do you know them personally?

I don't think that's a very nice thing to do.

They are sucessful though. More than can be said for you to be honest.

So before you start going on about how much these people suck, consider the other things that music means to people. The lyrics. The emotional help they get from hearing their favourite artists sing about thing that are actually effecting their lives and giving them a TINY ray of hope to keep going, day after day.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Last edited by Nutter_101 at Jun 30, 2007,
im not judging them... im just judging their made-to-sell, heartless "music"......

and indie, you can make all the remarks you want... they wont change the way i play...
Ahah... But seriously no. They do what they think is right and what they think is music. Therefore they are greats. And the fact that they earned a lot of money DOES mak ethem great musicians because people don't like crappy music. They like what's pleasing to their ears and that's never crappy. I love Britney Spears for doing what she thinks is right.
well... i only criticise musicians whom i know i can make better music then... and i can make better music then them, and im not afraid/ashamed to say it...
Quote by DesolationRow0

oh yes now i see it, you've gotta suck at something to make money doing it. just because pete wentz doesn't play 16th note phrygian solos in fob stuff doesn't mean he can't ever think that he might be holding back

because heres a little trade secret for you. nobody ever plays at their very limit with their band because theres more chance they'll **** up than if they play in their safety zone

and yes you obviously suck if you can't realise that

Quote by DesolationRow0
well... i only criticise musicians whom i know i can make better music then... and i can make better music then them, and im not afraid/ashamed to say it...

as i said you might be able to play better than they wish to record but holy **** you can't say they suck until you've seen them at their very limit of their abilities.

get over yourself

this will be my last post in this thread about you or pete wentz because unlike you i give a **** that i may be spamming up this forum

regards

dan

ps to threadstarter:

the general consensus of people say that ibanez make the best starter bass you can get so look into if you get the opputunity i personally think that the squier standard series basses are amazing starter bass, i've been playing nearly 3 years and i still use it, because it is of that high quality. so look into that too other than that i can't really help you
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Jun 30, 2007,
Quote by skater dan0
because heres a little trade secret for you. nobody ever plays at their very limit with their band because theres more chance they'll **** up than if they play in their safety zone

QFT.

To put it in layman terms, people will think you suck more if you play hard basslines and screw them up, than if you play simple basslines in an awesome way.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

oh yes now i see it, you've gotta suck at something to make money doing it.

i never said that............rush, tool, yes, black sabbath.......loads of those people earned alot of money.....but they invested themselves and their blood sweat and tears into their music..... THEY ARE THEIR MUSIC!..........and they have loads of money for doing what they do.......but they definitly earned it............
Britney Spears invested her hair...

To TS - make sure you give this instrument your all. It'll be incredibly rewarding in the future. If you ever get dishearted I found buying new gear helps, it gives you some motivation. Dont be scared to spend money on it, it'll reward you in ways money cannot buy.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Britney Spears invested her hair...

AHAH YEAH!

anyways, i cant really believe im discussing this.... im being ****ing ridiculous, and so are you guys..... lets just quit this.........
And I'm quite sure they could play alot more complex things.

I would rather play a nice sounding, half note line than try to go full out. Not only does it often sound horrible, it also makes me more likely to screw up and if I start going too sycopated, it can throw everyone else off.

Virtuosic playing has a time and a place (like Malmsteem often fails to understand IMHO)
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by BassistGal
Frirst of all, Ebay is not a mistake as long as you know what to look for.

For a beginner with your style I would recommend a Squier P Bass.
Decent quality, very good for the price, and above all, a very big brand (Which means you got some kind of a guranteene (sp) for quality).

+1, I still have my Squier and play it

And I'd go for a fender rumble, or ashdown perfect 10/after 8 amp.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
yeah, but i mean........you can play something extremely complex and still be a heartless piece of crap.......... but lets see.... complex parts on the bass like YYZ...... or most of the complex parts by cliff burton were amazing......... but they knew how to do that and they could.... and they did!
man wheres the love at? its not about making money or whos bad or good, its all about the love of the music and what your doing with your life.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I actually take Deso's side on the argument.
Most of today's popular musicians aren't really doing it for the passion of music, but for the passion of money, and it shows when you actually listen to them.
Alot of the stuff they play were written for them, and the stuff they wrote themselves usually (but defifnetly not always) means absolutly nothing.
For example 50 cent about his ho's, and britney spears basiclly about her being a ho' (No disrepect whatsoever).

As for the original question, I've already posted an answer in the first page.
I just felt this gone a bit too far.

Gal.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Last edited by BassistGal at Jun 30, 2007,
exactly.....but there are some artists....that if you say they have love for the music i'll tell you to go **** yourself, you know?
i know when something is made with your heart, even if it sucks ass!
Ok, I am going to pull out a John Swift comment from a while back. Some bassist are the "horses for the courses". They are the right bass players or singers or whatever for their time and place.

And back to the original TS question. Squier, Ibanez, and Yamaha make great starter packs with decent amps. My advise is to look and try all three, and find the one that feels and sounds right for you.

And Des, I'd have more respect for your opinion, if you weren't telling us all to **** off
Hey, I still enjoy writing my music, I do alot of contributing to the guitar and drum parts. It's just we all find simply bass works best 70% of the time. And for punk-pop/emo-pop, simple basslines nearly always sound better.

I don't even like either, but I can't imagine any rush style lines in Blink182, can you?

It is the overall sound that counts, not the individual lines.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Buying a squier p-bass is good for a begginer, but if you really get into bass then you'll probably hate it after awile, I know I did.
And back to the original TS question. Squier, Ibanez, and Yamaha make great starter packs with decent amps. My advise is to look and try all three, and find the one that feels and sounds right for you.

yeah, most stores carry those packs, so you will probably be able to try them, see what suits you better... the amps are generally 20/15 watt amps, and theyre great to start, but you'll want to move up to something better in a couple of mounths... yes, you'll find out that us, the bass players, always want more, better, different gear... we are never happy enough ahah!
hold on now so you are saying that if a band makes money by playing something that they AND a few million people enjoy then they are heartless sellouts who are only in it for the money.

i must be a heartless sellout because i'm getting paid to play my next two gigs with the band that i've commited my life to

had it never occured to you that before they got famous they were some of the millions of pop punk fans out there
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Last edited by skater dan0 at Jun 30, 2007,
hold on now so you are saying that if a band makes money by playing something that they AND a few million people enjoy then they are heartless sellouts who are only in it for the money.

had it never occured to you that before they got famous they were some of the millions of pop punk fans out there

dude... quit it already ok?
if you cant hear something, and tell if its heartfelt or not, i pity you...
Quote by DesolationRow0
dude... quit it already ok?
if you cant hear something, and tell if its heartfelt or not, i pity you...

I pity you for being closed minded.

On topic-I'd suggest a Squier or Ibanez. They're solid instruments and you can mod and upgrade them later. Make sure you try before you buy. Ampeg, Ashdown, and Fender all make nice amps. There's probably a few options in your price range. Don't be afraid to buy used though.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I pity you for being closed minded.

i am not close minded at all.....i listen to everything, from skip james' blues from the 40's (he's one of my fav artists, by the way).... to neurosis........to mastodon....... to tom waits....to bob dylan.... dont say **** about me like you know me...
Right, this is what Deliriumbassist had to say:

Well…. In all fairness, Desmond, your argument is extremely flawed. Firstly, who are YOU to say whether a piece of music is heartfelt or not? Even if the person who sings a song didn’t write it, someone did. They may have written something from their heart. It’s not up to you to decide. You say you can tell when something is made from the heart. Could you please craft that energy into being able to tell when you really need to keep shtum? Now, I’ve not been in this argument. However, by telling my bass family to go **** themselves, that pisses me off. You have NO ****ING RIGHT to say that who they look up to sucks, that what they feel from music is wrong. Pull your head out of my ass and heed my words, for I really pity your closemindedness.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Close mindedness does not mean taste in music.

It is the lack of willingness to accept others views.

And in a feeble attempt to bring this back on topic, I would recoment the squire jazz as a good starter bass.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Close mindedness does not mean taste in music.

It is the lack of willingness to accept others views.

And in a feeble attempt to bring this back on topic, I would recoment the squire jazz as a good starter bass.

Yes Squier Jazz is a good choice and also Ibanez starter packs, as well as Yamaha, as Indie-bassist said.
signature
Page 1 of 2