Hi there, im looking for a good guitar learning book, could anyone recommended me? Want something that is good in teaching proper techniques and theory as well. Like proper palm muting, pinch harmonic and stuff.

I know getting a guitar teacher will be better but the problem with me is that i play guitar for quite a good number of years, but most of the time i do is learning song PURELY by tabs and pratcising pentatonic scale, and i can play lick fairly fast enough.
Mh, for your technique, I recommend John Petrucci's Book called "Rock Discipline".
As far as theory is concerned, I don't have a clue, would use the internet, I guess what you find there could replace any theory book, really.
Quote by bReAdLiNe
Mh, for your technique, I recommend John Petrucci's Book called "Rock Discipline".
As far as theory is concerned, I don't have a clue, would use the internet, I guess what you find there could replace any theory book, really.

DON'T use the internet to learn your theory.

most sites that teach 'theory' either try to focus it more on guitar, try to divide the theory into small segments that are supposed to be easy to learn but really only leave most of the important staff behind, and because each site teaches staff its own way, you'll be so confused trying to get staff together from multiple sources, that you'll just end up having you confused. Apart from that, if you went by most internet sites, music theory is just about learning the treble cleff, the major scale, and building major and minor chords.

My suggestion is, if you want to learn theory, get a book that's dedicated on teaching theory. Most guitar books that try to put theory instruction in just to a half-ass incomplete job. my suggestion is to go to Amazon, put music theory in search and try to find the highest rated books and choose from them- but if you want my suggestion, the BEST book you can get out there on theory is Basic Material in tonal Music: A programmed course. If you finish that you can get the two more advanced book on harmony on the series. But the first book is by no means simple- it contains frankly everything you're going to find on the internet and much more.

And really, if you don't know theory and just play the guitar, you might as well be a machine, putting tabs into it, getting music out. Learning theory will make you much more of a musician and capable of knowing what you are playing.
Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar is a good one, but not on theory.
I go to eleven..........
Some online sites do a better job than others of tying in theory to playing; but they do tend to say different things and in different ways, which can be good or bad depending on the content. You can also find theory books online...

I've been learning off of web pages thus far, and as far as I know, I'm moving along okay. Tomorrow I'll be going on a 4 day trip on in-law soil, so I want to grab a theory book myself so I can have something to do while I'm there. Anyone else able to chime in and confirm/deny the suggestions made thus far, or add their own favorites to the mix?
Last edited by Alizec at Jun 30, 2007,
I'm using Maran's Illustrated Guitar book. I'm a beginner as well so I obviously can't tell you if it's the best book to get or not. But, I am liking the book so far, it explains most things pretty clearly, and it's also good that it's in full color and has many photos and illustrated diagrams for beginners. Not sure where you're at in your playing level, but if you're a beginner, this book seems to be pretty good.
I checked out a few books on theory from the library until one I liked and this is it:

How to read Music

Not too complicated and easy to read. The author has a companion volume on How to Play Guitar.