Page 1 of 3
a great musician, the founder of pink floyd, and my personal hero.

anyone else listen to him?

if not i would definetly recommend it to any fan of pink floyds first album, the piper at the gates of dawn.
*reported*

To the ONLY Pink Floyd thread you go.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Quote by Cptbeefheart
*reported*

Hm, I don't know if this is justified seeing as things about Syd's solo career could go in here too.

Obviously, 'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' is a great album, but I think 'The Madcap Laughs' is on a par with it.
And the song 'Baby Lemonade' is really, really good. The introduction, if nothing else, really demonstrates what Syd was capable of in terms of guitar playing.
Cptbeefheart, stop being such a prick and reporting every little thing.

anyway, Syd has some awesome solo stuff. his solo stuff pwns the hell out of Gilmours and Waters solo stuff.
Quote by YEAH BABY!
anyway, Syd has some awesome solo stuff. his solo stuff pwns the hell out of Gilmours and Waters solo stuff.

Hell, I'll go out on a limb and say that Barrett's total catalog (Pink Floyd included) completely outshines those of Water's and Gilmour's. Although they had some astounding works after Syd left the band, Pink Floyd's music seems very homogenous and contains very little of the humanity and playfulness displayed in Syd's music.
Last edited by joshsirjoshules at Jun 30, 2007,
Quote by Cptbeefheart
*reported*

Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd are 2 different artist... and pink floyd during its years with syd was a completely different band.
^I know this and if the threadstarter had talked about Madcap Laughs or something in his original post, I would have let it go. But he mentions PATGOD in the original post, which is a Pink Floyd record. So I reported it because Floyd discussion goes in the Floyd thread.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
if i was the kind of person who flamed i'd say to you cptbeefheart to suck my nuts

but i don;t do that kind of thing.

Go Syd, you crazy, reclusive, mutant pommy
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
It's sad, there's more discussion of Cptbeefheart's assholery in this thread then there is of Syd.

So what's everyone's favorite Syd song for one?

Personally mine is "If It's In You."
Terrapin and Dark Globe are pretty predictable favorites, but for good reason. At least they're my current favorites... I'm sure it will change soon.

...If I'm not mistaken there's an open John Fogerty thread, too. CCR is mentioned in it numerous times. This thread shouldn't be closed for mentioning Floyd. It was part of Syd's career, and obviously the rest is discussed, too.
Hey, I'm Mike.
I bought a book of Ebay on Syd, he died about 3 days later, so the book is special to me.
It is a great read, very happy and Sad.

I love his solo stuff, but since he has passed away it is so hard to listen to such dull, but amazing music.
What do you think is Syd's best album?

My favourite is Barrett...because it has 'It is obvious', 'Rats' and 'Gigolo Aunt'.
My favourite song from Madcap is 'Octopus' or 'Dark Globe'.

But my favourite Syd penned song ever is 'Jugband Blues' off of the lacklustre Floyd album 'A Saucerful of Secrets'. That song makes me feel sad
personally i dont know what his best album was, i love them all wayyyy too much to decide, but if i had to pick id say The Madcap Laughs.
Quote by radio_schizo

My favourite is Barrett...because it has 'It is obvious', 'Rats' and 'Gigolo Aunt'.
My favourite song from Madcap is 'Octopus' or 'Dark Globe'.

But my favourite Syd penned song ever is 'Jugband Blues' off of the lacklustre Floyd album 'A Saucerful of Secrets'. That song makes me feel sad

Yeah, you can tell by jugband blues that syd knows that his days in the floyd are numbered, either that or its just coincidence.
i did not understand Piper at the Gates f Dawn at all. could someone explain to me why that album was so amazing? or, if it wasn't, tell me a different Syd Barrett album to listen to?
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
^Man - that's a real shame cos' it's a brilliant album. Try his solo albums, but you probably won't like them either.

Syd Barret era floyd > Gilmour era x100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Quote by radio_schizo
^Man - that's a real shame cos' it's a brilliant album. Try his solo albums, but you probably won't like them either.

Syd Barret era floyd > Gilmour era x100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Well you can't really compare the two considering they're very different.

I prefer Gilmour as a player, but Syd was also undoubtedly a talented player and songwriter.
Quote by Cptbeefheart
*reported*

you're not the only one who knows how to report. shut up please.

Anyway, I never liked Syd. Never liked Interstellar Overdrive.
peanuts and beers
Quote by Infatuation
you're not the only one who knows how to report. shut up please.

Anyway, I never liked Syd. Never liked Interstellar Overdrive.

'See Emily Play' is the best pop song ever written though.

So there.
Quote by SomeEvilDude
Well you can't really compare the two considering they're very different.

I prefer Gilmour as a player, but Syd was also undoubtedly a talented player and songwriter.

Yeah, I guess so.

Syd Barrett era was a lot more rock and a lot more fun and whimsy. Gilmour era is good at times but the songs lack the energy and kick PATGOD had - so many times they got lost up their own arses.
Ive always got the vibe that post-syd floyd, was just trying to hard.

Syds songs were more on the pop side,

his solo albums are quite different than his floyd material, A little more instrumentaly simple, but his songwriting was as good as ever.
Ya i guess for a while i kinda got into PATGOD and i still litsen to it every now and then, but i always liked post syd floyd ALOT better
Did i eat too many?
did I jump in too fast?
how long's this shit last?
Everyone take off ya mask, I lost my grasp

Like weeds?
Quote by radio_schizo

I've always thought that Madcap Laughs was in a completely different league than Piper or Barrett. Like, it's surreal how great Madcap Laughs is. In my mind it was one of the most ahead-of-its-time albums ever. I mean, there's stuff on there that foreshadows later classic rock, new wave, and even grunge. It's astounding.
Barrett's a fine album too, I guess, but it's too polished or something. It's not organic enough. Every time I listen to it I get the feeling that everyone working on that album tried to not make Barrett sound like a complete maniac, which is stupid because that's what he sounded like throughout all of Madcap Laughs and it worked brilliantly. It's like they tried to make him come off as a more "normal" sounding artist than he really was. Kinda cramped his style, if you ask me.
Quote by SethMegadefan
I've always thought that Madcap Laughs was in a completely different league than Piper or Barrett.

I agree that Madcap was better than Barrett, but Piper has some great songs on it too, like "Astronomy Domine", "Lucifer Sam", and "Bike". ::type
My uncles and dad used to play mad cap laughs by syd all the time when i was young about 9ish.. Brings back good memories.. "Ice-cream 'scuse me i see you looking good the other evening". But i can't listen to it anymore though....
A Syd Barrett thread!

Alright I'm trying to think of something good to write on my Tele in a nod to the Syd-meister since he is the main reason I love my Teles/Esquire so much.

Anyone got any good ideas?

Best I got is "What exactly is a dream?" Since the end of Jugband Blues is the thing that has always stuck in my mind.
Well, my primary inspriation is the psychadelic rock of the late 60s, and Barrett's Pink Floyd has had more influence on me so far than any other (moreso than the Beatles, even). Syd's style connects very well with me for whatever reason. It was him who made me think of getting an Esquire (which I hope to get once my birthday rolls around).

Now, I haven't gotten his solo albums yet, mainly because I wasn't sure if they were good or not. (also, I need to find a way to sell Piper at the Gates so I can get the special edition coming out soon) However, you all seem to like them, so I figure I'll give 'em a look.
I got an Esquire and 2 Teles!

Syd's solo albums are really different to Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. Still great but real different, definitely worth getting.

I think my favourite Syd Barrett song is 'Here I Go' just because it seems so happy for him. Dominoes is also a favourite.

Oh here's one of my Teles..

Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Aug 17, 2007,
Nice Tele! I'd like to get a Tele after I get a Strat, to get that Syd sound.

Edit: Check this blog out, it's full of good info on Syd's gear. There are definitely some interesting tidbits and plenty of stuff I didn't know. http://sydbarrettgear.blogspot.com/
Hey, I'm Mike.
Last edited by Thefallofman at Aug 18, 2007,
......oh man, chrome pickguard. Where'd you get that?

On another note, I don't quite get the reccomendations for the telecaster, as Fender makes a reissue Esquire for fairly cheap.....granted, it's not as common, so that may be the reasoning....
Barrett is such a good album. I absolutely love it! From the intro song Baby Lemonade to the Effervescing Elephant at the very end, it proves that he was an amazing musician, both solo and with Pink Floyd.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/sydbarrett/

Gotta love the guy, check that out if you guys are interested.

What are your guys opinions on Terrapin? I think it's one of the sweetest songs ever!
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Okay firstly.. That gear blog is sweet but it looks like the guy ran out of stuff to blog about in the first month Lol

Secondly.. The guitar came with the mirror pickgaurd, it's supposedly a limited edition. It's a Squier standard Tele if you're interested..
People think the Esquire is not as good as a Tele because it only has 1 pickup, but in actuality it has 2 tones that you can't get out of a normal telecaster, it's quite a different sounding beast.

Lastly.. I joined the Syd Barrett group! And I agree Terrapin is probably my favourite "love song" ever. Seems so lighthearted and fun instead of being all serious like most.

Sorry guys but this thread rules so expect postorama from me.
Quote by TheDev01dOne

Lastly.. I joined the Syd Barrett group! And I agree Terrapin is probably my favourite "love song" ever. Seems so lighthearted and fun instead of being all serious like most.

Sorry guys but this thread rules so expect postorama from me.

w00t!

Yeah, it has that light fluffy feel to it, a real laid back kinda love song.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Oh, I saw a few pics of Pink Floyd with Hendrix's group in Nick Mason's Inside Out. Had no idea they were touring at the same time, was really cool to see.

Huh.....Squier Limited Telecaster.....well, okay, I may look into that at some point....

And yeah, the tone-bypass ability, plus the bass-ish tone and the super-tele tone were the main reasons I'm after one. aside from the fact Syd used it, of couse.
I'll take that as a cue to ***** my Esquire..

'Tis an '86 A series MIJ Esquire. It's a '54 reissue I've been led to believe. Best guitar I've ever played, hands down. It's all original except the compensating saddles. I think I wanna get a black pickgaurd for it though, the white one makes it seem too bright.
There's always a few Esquire pickguards floating around on eBay. Depends on how much you want to pay, but it shouldn't be hard to find one.
Page 1 of 3