I've recently started getting into learning modes, as well as harmonizing and I've realised that it doesn't always sound good to harmonize a certain mode with a certain type of harmonizing.

I was wondering if you could list off which modes are used most in metal type music, as well as which type of harmonizing sounds best with that mode.

EG: Aeolian with 3rds (that's just an example, I have no clue if that would sound good, but thats what I'm looking for as a response)

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Since when you're harmonizing you are staying in the same scale (usually, in this case I'm talking about thirds which are most commonly used in metal) it shouldn't sound bad if you're playing the correct scale, i.e it sounds good.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

what you wanna do is stick to harmonizing in thirds,fiths & octaves...doesn't matter what mode

harmonizing with distortion makes other degrees sound rather nasty,most of the time you'll just sound out of tune
Yeaaah I know it doesn't sound "bad" per say, but I've heard that certain modes sound better when harmonized with 3rds, I think it was harmonic minor sounds really good when harmonized with 3rds, which I got from a Trivium column in guitar player magazine.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Anything harmonized will sound good, as long as the lick you're playing sounds good. I don't believe any scale or mode will sound better, persay. However, when somebody who finds the harmonic minor scale more pleasing to the ear than the Aeolian mode, naturally one would assume that that somebody would also find harmonizing the harmonic minor scale more pleasing as well.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Tensorspencer, that would be correct under some kinds of distortion, not all. I usually switch over to a warmer overdrive when I need to play full chords and the such. Listen to Necrophagist, their distortion actually sounds quite nice durring their open chord passages.

As far as the thread goes:

In metal (as in any other genre of music), you have the freedom of adhering to any scale/mode/chord when composing a song, so just stick to whatever sounds good to you at the moment, or whatever you are comfortable experimenting with.

As far as harmonization, I assume you mean lead, or riff harmonization, where you constantly have a set rule for it... I'd recomend you look into harmonic motion if you want to use that same concept to it's full effect.

Best of luck.
Quote by Tensorspencer
I've recently started getting into learning modes, as well as harmonizing and I've realised that it doesn't always sound good to harmonize a certain mode with a certain type of harmonizing.

Well, maybe you aren't keeping things diatonic (within the key) and sometimes those notes that are outside the key sound a little misplaced. If you want everything to be in key (diatonic) with 3rds for example, you'll have to use major AND minor thirds, depending on the note. Same goes with 5ths, some will be diminished (7th note of the major scale for instance. The 5th of the 7th note is diminished).
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Ohh okay I see, so its basically all preference when it comes to which mode you find more pleasing when harmonizing. I'm to read into this much more as I am very interested in all this at the moment, and I figure I lack theory at the moment to grasp all the concepts. Im going to lead some theory from the basics right now, hopefully this'll all start making more sense to me soon enough. Thanks for the help!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
the easiest way to come up with a quick harmony is to superimpose the degrees

3ds
C-D-E-F-G-A-B
E-F-G-A-B-C-D

5ths
C-D-E-F-G-A-B
G-A-B-C-D-E-F

you can do that with any scale
Quote by NovemberRain273
Anything harmonized will sound good, as long as the lick you're playing sounds good. I don't believe any scale or mode will sound better, persay. However, when somebody who finds the harmonic minor scale more pleasing to the ear than the Aeolian mode, naturally one would assume that that somebody would also find harmonizing the harmonic minor scale more pleasing as well.

exactly,

TS you must be harmonising wrong or something. i have a feeling you are not harmonising in the same scale or something. learn your modes back to front before you start harmonising in case you get into bad habits. because it doesnt matter what mode i harmonise. if i have a good riff harmonising always makes it sound cooler. its the law.
Yeah. If you're "harmonizing in 3rds", you can just pic say a major 3rd and use that
everywhere. It all depends on what kind of 3rd happens to be in that interval of
the scale for the note you're choosing to harmonize.

They way I look at it, you can take 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths like clock positions as they
move across the strings. 3rds will go generally diagonally in one direction, 4ths
go generally straight across the fretboard, and 5ths diagonal in the other. But,
the kind of interval -- maj, min, aug... -- will tend to vary the basic directions a bit.

Anyway, a good way to practice this, is to know your 3 string triads from any note
in the scale at any position. I like to practice that as 3 string sweeps, but you can
aslo do that as chords and/or double-stops or what not.

This chart might help to visualize those 3th and 5th on the fretboard.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS