So my Ibanez GRG170DX goes out of tune quite easily and I'm not talking about using the whammy. If I solo with a lot of bends it just gets detuned. Really annoying.

I really like it. Both in sound and it's feel so I won't be trading it in soon

Anyway, any solutions for this?
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
tighten the springs in the back, and scrape some graphite (pencil lead) into the nut slots
Quote by -heartbreaker-
and scrape some graphite (pencil lead) into the nut slots

I've heard people saying that before and I never really understood how it works. Care to explain the science behind that?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
The strings grip against the nut and either slip out of tune or get caught on the nut, and the graphite reduces the friction

I noticed a big diff when I did it, I rarely re-tune my LP anymore and it's got a ****ty plastic nutt hat I still haven't changed
Does it have locking tuners? If not, that could help a lot, probably 20 bucks for some decent ones.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Locking tuners would be nice but I don't really wanna get cheap ones since I'm afraid they'll just be useless cuz I'm on a budget here heh.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
So my Ibanez GRG170DX goes out of tune quite easily and I'm not talking about using the whammy. If I solo with a lot of bends it just gets detuned. Really annoying.

I really like it. Both in sound and it's feel so I won't be trading it in soon

Anyway, any solutions for this?

Yep, bends throw your guitar out of tune, especially if you have lighter strings. Upgrade to heavier strings and it will stay in tune much better. I've noticed a significant difference.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Yeah but I really like the feel and sound of the lighter strings.. I'm not fond of heavier gauge strings

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
Yeah but I really like the feel and sound of the lighter strings.. I'm not fond of heavier gauge strings

Well, that's the trade off. You'll have to get locking tuners or block the trem to get more tuning stability.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
the bends shift tension (even if ever so slightly) on the whammy's springs.. I can't imagine the whammys on a gio are very reliable.. like auranos says.. it'd be a good idea to block it if you don't use it much.

using graphite in the nut keeps the string from getting stuck in the groove.. allowing it to slide ever so slightly when you bend and release. having too many winds around your tuners can also compromise your tuning ever so slightly.. most whammy systems come with a locking nut to bypass this problem all together.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
...and make sure your strings are properly stretched
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for the advice guys! So how do I block my trem? Or make it stiffer?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
how much graphite do I need? just rub the tip of the pencil against the nut or cut small pieces and put them in there? My Ltd tends to get out of tune on G and B strings, and I am using a .010 gauge strings. I still don't understand the technique behind the graphite solution. Anyone care to further explain?
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic
ESP Ltd Viper 301 vintage sunburst
PEAVEY classic 50 212 combo amp
just grab a pencil and "color" the inside of the groove. that'll be enough to keep friction down.

remember to stay in the lines. hehe (dumb joke)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
just grab a pencil and "color" the inside of the groove. that'll be enough to keep friction down.

thanks

not a bad joke either
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic
Quote by Kivarenn82

Made me giggle though

I might just try the graphite thing too.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
There's a better option than pencil lead (graphite). Check out the link below for the shizznizzle in guitar lube's. I use it religously, and never have tuning issues. Plus, make sure your wrapping the strings properly when restringing, they could be slipping around the tuning peg and throwing you off. Anyhow, here's the site:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Big-Bends-Nut-Sauce-Tuning-Lubricant?sku=429800

And go here for tips on correctly wrapping the string on the peg:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm
you might have wrapped the strings around the tuners too many times when you strung your guitar too. usually its 1 wrap for the first 3-4 strings and up to 3 on the lighter gauge strings.
My Guitars:
One
Two
Quote by The Needles
All the kids in the coffee houses
try to act like they know what loud is
all they know is an electric beat
if you're rockin to this, you'll be rockin with me!
Quote by LeftyDave
There's a better option than pencil lead (graphite). Check out the link below for the shizznizzle in guitar lube's. I use it religously, and never have tuning issues. Plus, make sure your wrapping the strings properly when restringing, they could be slipping around the tuning peg and throwing you off. Anyhow, here's the site:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Big-Bends-Nut-Sauce-Tuning-Lubricant?sku=429800

And go here for tips on correctly wrapping the string on the peg:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

Thanks I'll look into that

I still haven't gotten a reply on how to block\tighten the trem though..

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Things to check:

1. Stringing technique. If you aren't using a loop and lock technique followed by stretching/snapping the strings the guitar won't stay in tune well.

2. Old, worn or bad strings. If the strings you're using were the original ones on the guitar or ones that have otherwise seen a lot of use or long term storage or shelf time, change them. Often this will correct tuning problems.

3. The nut. Most nuts on low to mid priced guitars, and even on some expensive ones, aren't cut well at the factory. Also changing string gauges may cause binding or free play at the nut which can cause tuning problems. This is an important, but often overlooked, source of tuning problems.

4. If you don't use the whammy, lock it down. On a Fender vintage style trem, tighten down the claw in the back until the bridge is flush with the body. You may want to add additional springs for more stability.
When I bought it it came with another spring and a wrench so they probably knew the trem sucks lol

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by steven seagull
...and make sure your strings are properly stretched

I don't know if you saw this post or not. I was going to suggest this. If you just changed your strings, be sure to stretch them out or they'll drive ya nuts.
Hmm.. I'll try it thanks. I'm more of into blocking\tightening the trem. Can anyone instruct me on this?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
Hmm.. I'll try it thanks. I'm more of into blocking\tightening the trem. Can anyone instruct me on this?

You can just add more springs at the back and tighten the claw fully or block it completely like so

Blocking The Tremolo System

There are couple of things that you can do to block them -
  • 2 wooden blocks, cut to a proper measurement according the distance between the body and the trem block;
  • More than 2 blocks/thin pieces of wood that are sandwiched in between (i prefer this way as you dont need the exact 100% proper measurement)

It is highly recommended that you make sure that your bridge is perfectly parallel or near perfect before you take your measurements. You dont want your studs/knife edges to be chipped/dented when you adjust the action.

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Very cool. Thanks

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Im having a similar problem with my Epi Dot. My G keeps going about half a step out. Should i just change the strings or should i get it serviced?
???
Quote by Blues Breaker
Im having a similar problem with my Epi Dot. My G keeps going about half a step out. Should i just change the strings or should i get it serviced?
???

Apparently, writing on the nut with your pencil should sort this out. I have not tried that yet, as I am yet to change my strings, but I will soon. Nothing to lose anyway, so try that.
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic