Poll: Do you think the smoking ban is a good or bad idea?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think the smoking ban is a good or bad idea?
Good idea
137 82%
Bad idea
31 18%
Voters: 168.
Page 1 of 4
Ok, this is aimed at both people who smoke and people who do not. I myself do smoke occasionally, I keep meaning to stop, but I just seem to continue lighting up. Personally I think this ban is a very good idea, so those of you who do not smoke can breath cleaner air, and those of us who do smoke, can smoke in piece and be left alone to do so, we just have to go outside to smoke (which is alright, I dislike smoking inside anyway because the smoke goes stale and smells really really bad).

Please can we all also refrain from flaming each others opinions and eachother. If you don't agree with someone's opinion, then by all means DISCUSS it, but don't flame people, respect eachothers personal views please, even if they clash violently with your own.

For whoever asked for the link...
http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/drugsafety/smoking/smokingban
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Last edited by rockdude375 at Jun 30, 2007,
They did it in my province of Ontario a year or two ago and I think it's a grand idea...
I dont smoke anymore, I managed to give up easily.

However, nearly all of my friends do and I doubt it will make much difference to them because they only ever smoke outside anyway.
Own a PS3?
Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
well, where Im from, smoking is banned in any indoor private place...and I dont mind it.

I used to hate going into resturaunts as a kid and smell smoke.

and now im a smoker and I enjoy smoking outside because...im only harming myself and not others.
It's alright as long as it's not the weather's decent, which isn't usually the case here.

My biggest issue with it is it doesn't allow for separate smoking rooms or anything which seems like a perfectly viable option to me.
I love to give others cancer so I think it's a bad idea.

Can you link to the ban because I have no idea what you're talking about.

I put Bad idea because smoking indoors should be allowed.
High as tits
I think it's fair enough. I hate going out and coming home stinking of smoke. If I put a clean pair of jeans on then I can't wear them the next day because I smell like an ashtray, which sucks. I've got nothing against people having a smoke, I do myself on occasion, but I think it's fair to ask that they do it away from other people.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by the_experience
They did it in my province of Ontario a year or two ago and I think it's a grand idea...

yeah i live in ontario too and i am a smoker and have no problem with the going outside i like the fresh air while i smoke and i personally don't apreciate th smell while eating eihter
Good idea definately Cleaner air for us non smokers and perhaps the ban will help people give up smoking.
You Are More Likely To Be Devoured Than Empowered By Your Own Sense Of Romance
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
I love to give others cancer so I think it's a bad idea.

Can you link to the ban because I have no idea what you're talking about.
I put Bad idea because smoking indoors should be allowed.

I've got the link up now
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Places will smell of vomit and urine instead now :-) I gave up smoking a while ago too, so I don't really give a ****.
Who smokes inside public places anyway?
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
I dont smoke anything, brown or green, but wouldn't you guys think it would be better to ban tobacco in favor of marijuana being legalized?
Quote by Grundy0
There's loads of Landlords vowing to allow people to smoke.

Just like when fox hunting was banned and some ignorant ****s simply carried on as if it was still legal.

They'll simply either be put in prison or have their licenses suspended.

Why is it that in this country, whenever there's a change in the law, people think that they can ignore it. It's an 'I'm special, I don't have to follow rules' attitude and it pisses me off to no end.
Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Confusius or Marmoseti to join
Quote by Norse_Iron_King
I dont smoke anything, brown or green, but wouldn't you guys think it would be better to ban tobacco in favor of marijuana being legalized?

If anything should be legal, it should be marijuana. It causes no harm in actuality.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

awesome idea
Quote by Andjustice.....

i could see that being liek a sign at an entrace to a theme park ,"remember to always be safe dont litter and remember to have a nice day in my pants!"

Quote by Robbie n strat
"If you listen really carefully, you can hear carrots scream when you cut them."
Quote by walkinbazooka
If anything should be legal, it should be marijuana. It causes no harm in actuality.

Agreed, it is not as harmfull as tobacco. But it is said to sometimes cause, or help to cause, mental problems after extremely prolonged use. But yes I agree it should be made legal.
Quote by rockdude375
Agreed, it is not as harmfull as tobacco. But it is said to sometimes cause, or help to cause, mental problems after extremely prolonged use. But yes I agree it should be made legal.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't cause any mental problems unless you're under like the age of 13 or 14.
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by walkinbazooka
I'm pretty sure it doesn't cause any mental problems unless you're under like the age of 13 or 14.

I dunno, its been, and is being, speculated by scientists. But the theory is that it can. I'm just going from what i've heard lol.
Quote by rockdude375
I dunno, its been, and is being, speculated by scientists. But the theory is that it can. I'm just going from what i've heard lol.

All right, I believe you but we can still all see that it's nowhere near as harmful as tobacco or alcohol.
Quote by shattamakar

I think it's a brilliant idea. I'm sick of coming home stinking of the smoke of inconsiderate twats.
Come at me bro.
Awful idea. They have no right to tell people what to allow on their property. If you don't like smoky bars, don't go to them. You don't have the right to be there let alone tell them what to fucking do. It's truly ridiculous. I cannot believe the sheer stupidity of people who think they have the right to tell people what to do on someone else's property. The level of self-absorption is astonishing.

EDIT^: Case in point.^
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by rizo299
Today, England took the first steps to becoming a civilised country.

Fascism is hardly civilised you insufferable moron. What kind of civilised country forces its citizens to behave a certain way?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
if tabbacco had just been invented today, theres no doubt in my mind that it would be completely banned. the only reason you can still buy it is because is been there for a long time.

but what realy annoys me is people saying that telling them not to smoke is against they're human rights. what about non-smokers rights to not get lung cancer?
Quote by stevilkinevil
if tabbacco had just been invented today, theres no doubt in my mind that it would be completely banned. the only reason you can still buy it is because is been there for a long time.

but what realy annoys me is people saying that telling them not to smoke is against they're human rights. what about non-smokers rights to not get lung cancer?

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PASSIVELY SMOKE, DON'T STAND BY SOMEONE WITH A CIGARETTE.

The same way that you don't stand in the middle of the road when you don't want to get run over. Fucking tool. You're too lazy and irresponsible to notice that there's something you can do it about and instead use the government to enforce your opinions as if you have the right to tell us what to do. Get the fuck out.

Oscar Wilde
no need to get so angry mate. im just saying that i have as much right to be in a pub and not passively smoke as you to to be in a pub and smoke.
Quote by walkinbazooka

it does if you smoke a ****load of it, but ya. i think it should be legal but there should be a limit on amounts.

and i actually dont smoke pot but i agree w/ you

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Jul 1, 2007,
i don't smoke, but i think it's a good idea, as i'm less likely to die from lung cancer from fags (excuse the pun) who choose's to light up in front of me
my books myspace
Here
read it, new chapter added every 2 weeks
what do you people keep whining bout the ban so much??!

We've got the smoking ban here in Ireland since ages and no one ever complains bout it. It only makes the place cleaner and more breathable for non-smokers!!

Suck it up guys, its not the end of the world!!
Quote by Meths
Awful idea. They have no right to tell people what to allow on their property. If you don't like smoky bars, don't go to them. You don't have the right to be there let alone tell them what to fucking do. It's truly ridiculous. I cannot believe the sheer stupidity of people who think they have the right to tell people what to do on someone else's property. The level of self-absorption is astonishing.

EDIT^: Case in point.^

what about the people who work at the bar? They should be able to go to work and not risk lung cancer. You can't say oh just leave the bar, because it's their place of work. The people I know who work in bars work there because it either fits their schedule or it happens to be the only place where they were accepted.

People keep missing out on the point that the ban is to stop people working in enclosed workspaces not just in the pub. It's not a personal agenda against smokers it's an attempt to help the people who have to suffer from second hand smoke whilst in work. just because it's your free time it doesn't mean that it isn't somebody else's time to work.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I'm a smoker. Even when I wasn't, I thought the ban in California was moronic. If someone wants to allow smoking on their property, so be it. They pay the rent or mortgage they pay for the licensing. There are smoking sections for a reason. In most cases, you can't even smoke outside of a restaurant in California. In San Francisco, you can't in front of government building or at bus stops. Of course, no one pays attention to that kind of idiocy.

It should be left up to the owner, no questions asked.

I understand that people who are waitresses/waiters and bartenders may have a problem with it. That's why buildings need windows and ventilation.
They've had such a smoking ban in NY for a few years now. I love it. It's great to not go into a bar and have a haze lingering a foot above the floor, or coming out smelling of stale tobacco.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by garden of grey
I agree with meths.

I think a ban in all places besides bars and your own house is fine, though.

why should a bar be exempt from the ban? because it's a place where people go to relax and enjoy themselves?

People have to work in bars just like people have to work in banks or shops, so why should bars be any different from an office or any other workplace
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by stevilkinevil
no need to get so angry mate. im just saying that i have as much right to be in a pub and not passively smoke as you to to be in a pub and smoke.

You don't have any right to do anything on their property. Whether or not smoking is allowed should be entirely up the owner. If you don't like being around smokers and the bar-owner allows it, leave. Don't inflict your ridiculous laws on the rest of us.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
what about the people who work at the bar?

Don't like cars? Don't be a mechanic.
Don't like flying? Don't become an aeroplane stewardess.
Don't like animals? Don't become a vet.
Don't like smoke? DON'T WORK IN A BAR.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
They should be able to go to work and not risk lung cancer. You can't say oh just leave the bar, because it's their place of work. The people I know who work in bars work there because it either fits their schedule or it happens to be the only place where they were accepted.

Tough shit. Get another job.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
People keep missing out on the point that the ban is to stop people working in enclosed workspaces not just in the pub. It's not a personal agenda against smokers it's an attempt to help the people who have to suffer from second hand smoke whilst in work. just because it's your free time it doesn't mean that it isn't somebody else's time to work.

If you don't like second-hand smoke, don't go to places to areas where it's around. It's really quite simple. Put pressure on your boss to create a smoking area or something. Don't turn the UK into some ridiculous, fascistic nanny-state where anything remotely dangerous is banned because of the constant bitching and moaning of self-absorbed pussies.

Oscar Wilde
lol

Smoking ban is class.

I don't particuarly care about folks rights, or smokers rights...

and I know many places that are just..better since the smoking ban in Scotland and my dad, who has to play gigs in a bar a lot, loves it.

On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
According to terms of the leaseholders, I'm not supposed to smoke in my apartment. Do I follow that? No. They don't live here. My roommate doesn't care. I'm not going out into my neighborhood at 3 AM to have a smoke, and they understand that. So long as it's not bothering those around me, I'm not throwing butts out the window, and I respect the presence of others, it's not a problem with them.

I'm not even old enough to go into a bar, so I guess that ban doesn't really apply yet. Nevertheless, it's frighteningly hypocritical. Protect the rights of non-smokers only to take away the rights of people who do smoke?
Page 1 of 4