Page 1 of 2
So I kinda have an idea for a magnetic car;

Say you have a car out of metal or whatever that's magnetic, and you put a one of those huge U-shaped magnets like a few inches from the front of the hood with a bar or something. Wouldn't the magnet attract the car and drag it forward? I know it would have to be one hell of a magnet to do that, but is the idea correct? Oh and also they'd have to find a way to have you adjust the magnetic force or whatever so you can brake.

Quote by Rocking-Rob
well yes it would work if the magnet was strong enough but the magnets got to be moving in teh first place, so its flawed in that concept

Yeah that's what I couldn't get my head around too but I mean the magnet is attached to the car so if the magnet pulls the car forward then the magnet goes forward too so **** this is confusing.
If the magnet was on something that moved, it could possibly work.. but It seems like it'd cost too much money...

I think we should get land speeders like in Star Wars..
Quote by Bmm386
It would, but then it would attach and then stop.

Now if they attached a moving magnet to the road, then you would go places.

lol @ the ambiguity in your speech.
I the magnet is attached to the car, it would pull on the car, but it would not go anywhere. The mount to hold the magnet in place would not move. The magnet would need to move forward along the road.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
the force would cancel out because the one in front would try to move back while the one in back would try to move forward.
Oh Shit!
Quote by vicd08
I the magnet is attached to the car, it would pull on the car, but it would not go anywhere. The mount to hold the magnet in place would not move. The magnet would need to move forward along the road.

they have them magnetic trains in japan, that reduce friction to save energy. Now suppose you placed magnets in the roads, and had a tiny jet engine in the car and you could have land speeders....
Quote by cocacolabottle
Yeah that's what I couldn't get my head around too but I mean the magnet is attached to the car so if the magnet pulls the car forward then the magnet goes forward too so **** this is confusing.

Study up on Newton's laws of motion. The car would be pulling the magnet as well.
it wouldn't work, that's all there is to it
Quote by ledhendrix711
do u guys know where i can get guitar tabs ive bin lookin every where on the internet..

Quote by Muphin
I take the strings off before I smash my guitars. I usually go through about 2 a week. It's mad fun.
If you mounted a magnet on the axle, connected to the wheels, with the ability to rotate you could in theory make the car move by exploiting the repelling force another magnet could exert on that magnet
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by JesseWyllychuk

its not that it wouldn't work, its just that it would be very impractical.
I've had similar idea's but a magnet of the scale that is needed would affect electro-magnetic equipment, people who had braces maybe (whether in their teeth or to set broken bones) and we'd have to start making everything out of plastic.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by cocacolabottle
So I kinda have an idea for a magnetic car;

Say you have a car out of metal or whatever that's magnetic, and you put a one of those huge U-shaped magnets like a few inches from the front of the hood with a bar or something. Wouldn't the magnet attract the car and drag it forward? I know it would have to be one hell of a magnet to do that, but is the idea correct? Oh and also they'd have to find a way to have you adjust the magnetic force or whatever so you can brake.

cars are magnetic my L plates have magnetic things that allow me to stick them to my car without getting glue on the paintwork
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
nice idea kinda like holding a carrot in front of a donkey so it goes for the carrot. but magnets are different things. first you'd need an incredibly powered magnet but maybe for the future you never know . try some small scale tests with say a tiny magnetic car with the same idea. It might work i dunno much about physics and things like that but give it a try never know
Quote by sargasm
Study up on Newton's laws of motion. The car would be pulling the magnet as well.

/thread
Youd have to have the second magnet attacked to the front of the car but a few metres ahead. Even then im not sure how it would work. Interesting idea though.
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
Quote by Bad-Penny
If you mounted a magnet on the axle, connected to the wheels, with the ability to rotate you could in theory make the car move by exploiting the repelling force another magnet could exert on that magnet

That's pretty much how electric motors work.
I'd love air bubble cars.

"omg! im gonna hit j00!"
*woosh*
"noooo, dude you temporarily compressed my front air sack"
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.
Quote by Bad-Penny

well done, you've just invented the electric motor.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Here's an example of how it wouldn't work: you can pick up your own weight right? Or at least move it? Now get in a plastic bag and try and pick yourself up.
Actually the point is that it's not the magnet that pulls the car, it's the car that attracts the magnet.

Take a really strong magnet, and take a fridge. Throw the magnet in the air near the fridge.
Result: Magnet attaches to fridge.
'
If you put a magnet on a stick and the stick in front of a car, then the magnet would try to get on the car, not the car trying to get on the magnet. Unless that magnet is like heavier than the car itself. But that's just ridiculous, man!
Quote by Bad-Penny

I like this guys idea. It makes more sense than most stuff I've heard.
Quote by JesseWyllychuk

+1

thats the short answer.... the long answer requires some physics and the definition of an engineering system

now mag lev technology for cars, thats a good idea. it would just require the overhaul of everything you think a road is
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Quote by Taoistic_Beer
Actually the point is that it's not the magnet that pulls the car, it's the car that attracts the magnet.

Take a really strong magnet, and take a fridge. Throw the magnet in the air near the fridge.
Result: Magnet attaches to fridge.
'
If you put a magnet on a stick and the stick in front of a car, then the magnet would try to get on the car, not the car trying to get on the magnet. Unless that magnet is like heavier than the car itself. But that's just ridiculous, man!

No, they both attract each other but the smaller magnet requires less force to move, if you had a magnet that meant a strong enough force and cemented it into a wall and put a car in front of it (and it would have to be a very strong magnet) then the car doesn't stay still while the magnet rips out of the wall, the car comes to the magnet as it requires less force to move.

God some people on UG really have no idea of basic physics or logic. (not just to you I have quoted)
Wouldn't it just stick to the car?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
That's like sitting in a boat and trying to move by blowing into the sails. You wouldn't move.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
EDIT: Dat necrobump tho
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 13, 2014,
Quote by ulrichburke
Dear Idiots.

The magnetic car idea works like a dream. All you have to have is two magnets repelling eachother. The repulsion pushes the car forwards.

Just have a look here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHDFxm7ZU4Q

and you'll see a magnetic car working perfectly.

Yours respectfully

ulrichburke

You really bumped a 7 year old thread?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You really bumped a 7 year old thread?
And he registered today.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Bet his first thread is going to be for his magnetic car Kickstarter project.

[deliberate misinterpretation]But if the car is magnetic, why would you need to kickstart it, hmmm? HMMMMM?[/deliberate misinterpretation]
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I was still in elementary school when this thread was created.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It was one day after my 16th birthday when this thread was created.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I may well have been in hospital when this thread was created. 2007 was not a good year for me.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Page 1 of 2