Page 1 of 2
i know playing an instrument shouldn't be about showing off, and should more be about self development, having fun.. just doing your thing.. but im sure just like how guitarist whip out a solo or a certain song to show people they're not a "posuer" i'm sure some bassist do the same. so what songs do you play to prove yourself to people/other musicians, especially other BASSISTS. i havent been playing too long, but i usually play some leftover crack or anti-flag, it's the kind of stuff im into, and people know im into, but they have some pretty good bass lines. id whip out hysteria or something if i could, but i havent even tried playing that yet. maybe i will today. what about you guys?
i whip out some rush and some nice slap improv. grooves. and i love playing a lil bit of scarified by racer x
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
I never show off because I'm afraid people are going to laugh at me, but I love playing blues and people always seem to like that.
[Light]
maybe improvising.... i can also play anesthesia (actually i think i cant remember some parts)... thats a cool song for show off........now, if only i owned a wah pedal....
Can't Stop. I'm not very good at slapping but all my friends consider me amazing.
No matter what I play...everyone expects me to play some song meant to be played on a guitar
i cant play get up and jump... i've never worked on my slapping skills as much as i should, probably because i find it alot harder to slap on 5 strings, and i only have a 5'er...also my pickups are really really close to the strings, doesnt sound good for slapping that way........ do you guys have the same problem with slapping on a 5 string?
'The Country Song' - Blink 182
The intro to 'Carousel' - Blink 182
'Time Consumer' - Coheed and Cambria
The tapping solo I stick into '99 Red Balloons' by Goldfinger
'Take It Away' - The Used
and last but not least

The guitar intro to 'Welcome Home' by Coheed and Cambria - at thsi moment I am working on including the artificial harmonics in there too.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
I don't have to show off, most musicians can tell a poser from a real musician by talking to him.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I don't have to show off, most musicians can tell a poser from a real musician by talking to him.

there are also great musicians who are HUGE showoffs ahah... like jaco for example.....that guy had a HUGEEEEEEEEE ego, but he obviously had the skills to carry that huge ego around...
^ "Its not showing off if you can back it up".
He was an incredible musician, and he knew it.
Thats not showing off.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
you think showing off is only when you are a crappy player and show stuff you dont really "have" or only a poser?

i think jaco sometimes showed off in his love solos and stuff, but i dont mean the "regular poser or show-off"... jaco will be forever great, im not depicting him in any way, he's one of my bass heros...
Uhm, I'm still rather mediocre but to show off I'd either play Readymade by RHCP, Californication by RHCP, or do some cool improv because I don't actually learn songs that often.
yeah, me neither...... actually i barely know any complete songs on the bass (except for mine of course)
The best thing is to show off with an incredibly simple thing, and make it so badass that everyone gets their faces melted. Thus 'The Country Song' Even DragonForce's bassist played that bassline to be badass.
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

for whom the bell tolls - metallica

But I also lay some crazy parts of the solo iuntro cliff does at woodstock 85'
Thunderstruck lol People go nuts when you play that song.

But usually I just do a little improv with the minor pentatonic.
Dont Drink and Drive, Smoke and Fly.
Quote by DesolationRow0
how can people be amazing at thunderstruck???? its sooo damn easy!!!

I'm talking about people in general. They seem to amazed by the fact that you use only one hand and that it sound so damn cool.

Look Ma One Hand!

Edit: Looks at Name of Forum (Bass Guitar) and begins to feel like a retard.
Dont Drink and Drive, Smoke and Fly.
Last edited by zeppelin_maniac at Jun 30, 2007,
Quote by DesolationRow0
how can people be amazing at thunderstruck???? its sooo damn easy!!!

Exactly!!

When I play The Country Song, both our guitarists and our drummer join in slowly and then I bass solo over it - that's pretty much how my band starts every gig, only we never bother with the vocals for that song - that's not our vibe.

And for thsoe who don't know - this is The Country Song (by Blink 182).

D -----------
G -----------
A -3-3-3-3-023
E --3-3-3-3---
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

^ Hehe =P

Umm I play some random slap pop stuff..easy but quick.

I also tremalo (spelling =S) slap with my thumb and top knuckle of my pinky it wows the croud...
i don't have show off songs as such but my shop songs are the tapping bits from scarified by racer x, american life by primus for the slapping and the chords, and orion for finger picking plus several scales and original songs to test the sound
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
my showing off is just me all the time. i always jam to the best of my ability, give 100% and like to be expressive. i don't think of it as a competition so much as just giving it all and hoping to get back what you put in
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by aggiefan33
Can't Stop. I'm not very good at slapping but all my friends consider me amazing.

Same here. Except I use Higher Ground and Tell Me Baby
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Guns 'n' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine.

I can seriously kick out the jam with that song!

When there's something strange in your neighbourhood...who ya gonna call?!

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Quote by Confused4930
Same here. Except I use Higher Ground and Tell Me Baby

ya for me it's can't stop and higher ground for the chillis when i slap.

oh and get up and jump
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
I prefer to show off my taste rather than my chops. Ramble On is a classic bass line that sounds complicated enough, and for some strange reason, I never really hear it played. I also bust out some Jaco harmonics with Portrait of Tracy and Okonkole Y Trompa, and the head to Continuum. Oh, and it's hard to beat the solo and main riff of Sparks off of Live at Leeds Deluxe Edition.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i either do the stone cold bush bass solo or something from primus. usually tommy the cat.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Dance Dance.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by MX4Life
Dance Dance.

Funny, I use that song to start fights.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
dude every time i play To the End of East Bay by Rancid people always seem to luv it and then when i play Higher Ground by the Chilis it gets sum attention. Wats a good song to learn that will really help ur slapping abilities?
I use whatever the people around me like. So, Orion, for whom the bell tolls, Californiacation, and fun songs like Under Pressure, Cant Touch This, and when its requested, Dance Dance or that damn White Stripes thing...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Page 1 of 2