Page 1 of 2
Can you safely drop tune a guitar equipped with a Floyd Rose trem?
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
no, not without the correct attatchment. in order to but ur guitar in drop (d, was it?), u must but thus little adapter. its an eddie van halen drop d system. look it on musiciansfriend.com, its about 50$
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Absolutley. Just loosen the screws in the back with the springs. (This gives the string more pull and tension rather than the springs. You might have to **** with the allan screws on top of the floyd as well. Oh and try to use thicker gauge strings so they don't become spaghetti.
Just tune, make your spring adjustments, tune, lock down, and fine tune. Fin.
myspace.com/coffinslutcoffinslut
Quote by vmanoman
no, not without the correct attatchment. in order to but ur guitar in drop (d, was it?), u must but thus little adapter. its an eddie van halen drop d system. look it on musiciansfriend.com, its about 50$

I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.
OK lots of misconceptions going.
You can tune in whatever the hell you want safely, but it'll take you some time to the adjustments to compensate for different string tension. Or, you could be smart like me, and buy a tremol-no.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by blsjunkieSDMF
dude

unscrew your locking nut with your allen wrench

and tune up.. or down lol

+1, its as easy as that
+1, its as easy as that

If you're idea of easy is pissing around with your trem springs to get the bridge level and spending 10 minutes re-tuning then fair enough.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Dude it was a joke.

Thus assuming that wasn't sarcasm

<.<

>.>
yeah well I can get mine into drop D just using the fine tuners. It just makes it. Try tuning it taking the locks and crap off and using the actual tuning things first and make the fine tuners screwed in a fair way. That way you can get it into drop D with the fine tuners. Sorry if this didn't make any sence.
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:
-Boss ME-50 Multi Effects

Quote by Ajax413
Pfft... I know a guy who didn't even masturbate until he was 18... now that's a late bloomer.
you can safely do it. try with the fine tuners first to see if you can get there, otherwise you'll have to either reset up the floyd to change the tuning or you have to block it so that it doesn't pull up.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Yeah, and make sure the fine tuner on the e is tightened as far as it can go, and the e is still in tune. That'll give you more tuning down range.
Quote by blsjunkieSDMF
dude

unscrew your locking nut with your allen wrench

and tune up.. or down lol
its not actually that simple. if its set up to standard in the store and you change to drop whatever, your changing the levels between the strings and the springs. its balanced perfectly when its set up so changing tuning without professional set up can **** up the bridge. you can take a risk if you want but it might not be worth it, since your intonation might go screwy and then if you start to make all weird kinds of compensations you can completely **** the whole FR system. so yeah you can downtune but if you want it perfect then get a luthier to do it.
Quote by vmanoman

That only works on non Low Profile OFR's.

You can tune a guitar with a floating trem to whatever you want, it's just significantly more difficult.
Well, you can, obviously. You can tune to drop D using the fine tuners only, but if you want to go any lower you'll have to unlock the nut, tune, lock the nut, fix the trem springs to compensate the different tension, and repeat the process until it's tuned.
No need for d-tunas or luthiers if you bother getting informed about what you're doing before you do it.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by cold_steel

i know how to drop tune but this spring business? im so confused, i just got a dk2m and i wass drop c, but i hate no idea what to do "spring" wise
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
O yeah man, easy as cake (sometimes).. Alright look on the back of the guitar and there should be a plate covering up 2, maybe 3, springs. If you're in standard take off the middle spring and your guitar will automatically go into Drop B I think.. That's with my guitar though (an Ibanez RG350EX).

P.S.

Take off your locks at the top before doing any of this.
Old thread is old.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by The Duggan
O yeah man, easy as cake (sometimes).. Alright look on the back of the guitar and there should be a plate covering up 2, maybe 3, springs. If you're in standard take off the middle spring and your guitar will automatically go into Drop B I think.. That's with my guitar though (an Ibanez RG350EX).

P.S.

Take off your locks at the top before doing any of this.

Wow great advice!! Works every time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you fucking kidding me?
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Yeah, itll take kind of long unless you have something like a Tremol-no, but its safe.

Or, if you get lucky you could be like me. One time i wanted to learn a dropped D song (crossroads duel, to be exact) but i didnt want to fuss about with it to tune. I yanked the bar really hard back, and it dropped about a quarter tone lower than D on the Low E string. It was great
i got the same problem with tuning to drop c with my floyd rose, the trem always sinks.
Ancient thread is ancient!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by cold_steel

This. Mines in dropped D
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Guyz, if you want to drop to D, you might be able to do that with the fine tuners only, at least with the actual tuners (loosening the locking nut). But if you want to have a good set up (assuming you already had a good set up in standard, or whatever you were in), and good playability, youll have to open the trem cavity on the back of your guitar and LOOSEN the screws. Then tune (to D or whatever your tuning to) and again, adjust the screws.
You might have to adjust the truss rod slightly when changing tunings, for the same good low action. But you better know what your doing.

Example (to help you get it). My guitar has been set up well, and its in E standard. I want to tune to drop B. I open the locking nut and tune down, quite down. The trem will sink. I open the trem cavity on the back of my guitar and loosen the screws (or if I had 3 or 4, or even 5, Id take 1 away, and I have 3, so Id take 1 away leaving 2 springs), to the point that the trem has risen to its regular position (flush with the guitar). (I mustve not down tuned too much, like quite down, but not too). Then I tune (to drop B, as thats where I want my tuning) and if the bridge is too high, Ill tighten the screws, and if the bridge is too low, Ill loosen the screws. Then I just tune, adjust screws and repeat until Im where I want to.

Jonathan

EDIT: oh yeah (in D I wont have to, assuming I originally had a good set up), I might want to adjust the truss rod slightly (as Im tuning to B, which is quite down) but if you do it, you better know what youre doing.
Last edited by fc89konkari at Jun 23, 2010,
You can, but you must arrange the springs in a certain order. PM me if you want a pic of how mine are arranged on my dropC axe
It's ok. They are not designed for a specific tunning anyway. But you will have to readjust everything.

Quote by a_hub10

Sigged. Joke or not

Quote by a_hub10

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
Well, I'm tuned to drop A on my B.C Rich and I didn't have any problems.
My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Harley Benton B 600 (6 string bass)
-Ibanez RGA7 (7 string guitar)
No springs no risks. This works If you have a original floyd.
Undo the locking nuts at the top. Screw the mini adjustments knob right down (now you should be tuned higher than e on the low e string)
Then take your tuner and use the machine heads to tune the e so your just in e (very close to e minor) then screw the mini adjures out and you should be in drop d (ish not that accurate but sounds right)
Started with a westcoast
Then bought a line 6 spider 111
Then got a epiphone jimmy page
Then a ESP kh-2 for 600 mint because the shop forgot their real value
Paleolithic thread is paleolithic.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
so basically to be able to drop tune and still use the whammy bar on a floyd rose you just gotta unscrew the screws a little at the back?

why didn't I learn this sooner? >.<
Quote by paul_allendre
so basically to be able to drop tune and still use the whammy bar on a floyd rose you just gotta unscrew the screws a little at the back?

why didn't I learn this sooner? >.<

well its not like this thread hasn't been around long enough..
Page 1 of 2