Well my band plans on playing shows in a few months, so i have a problem, i don't have an amp capable of gigging with. I know that i want a stack over a combo amp, and I've narrowed it down to these four.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-100W-4x12-Half-Stack?sku=481301

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-HD150-HalfStack?sku=485062&src=3SOSWXXA

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW120HS-120W-HalfStack?sku=481416

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RH200G2R412CX-Half-Stack?sku=480332

I play mostly metal and hard rock if that helps, if u have experience with any of these please help. Thanx
Probably the B52, but are you playing your gig in a huge arena without being miced?
If not, get a combo, not much need for a budget half stack
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
What? No MG? Man, you could get a stack and be reel leetz yo!

J/k, don't ever get that ****. What's your budget? I'd say go for the B-52 if that's all you can afford, or go for a used JCM 800 online.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Yea thanx, i probably won't be mic'd, but i'll look at some combos anyways.
I have tried the B-52 halfstack, and it's not very good. It sounds really thin, and doesn't get that loud.
But that aside, you don't need a halfstack, ESPECIALLY a solid-state one. A good tube combo will be louder and sound better at high volumes than a SS halfstack. 30-40 watts tube is just louder than 100W solid-state, and sounds a lot better when cranked. Go search guitarcenter or Musician's Friend for a Marshall JCM 2000 combo, or a B-52 60W tube combo.

At least you weren't considering the MG halfstack ><
I know that i want a stack over a combo amp

You just think you do. You will be able to get a far better amp if you go for a combo.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
never use a digital amp for gigging. thats my advice
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by flamingmarble27
I have tried the B-52 halfstack, and it's not very good. It sounds really thin, and doesn't get that loud.
But that aside, you don't need a halfstack, ESPECIALLY a solid-state one. A good tube combo will be louder and sound better at high volumes than a SS halfstack. 30-40 watts tube is just louder than 100W solid-state, and sounds a lot better when cranked. Go search guitarcenter or Musician's Friend for a Marshall JCM 2000 combo, or a B-52 60W tube combo.

At least you weren't considering the MG halfstack ><

My budget is only $700, so the JCM isn't an option.
Quote by a_hub10
My budget is only $700, so the JCM isn't an option.

For $700 you can get a decent tube combo.
Go ahead, blow it on a ****ty solid state half stack. You'll look cool, but the rest of us will sound good.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by jeowy
never use a digital amp for gigging. thats my advice

no. shut up. go away.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Archeo Avis
For $700 you can get a decent tube combo.
Go ahead, blow it on a ****ty solid state half stack. You'll look cool, but the rest of us will sound good.

I came here for help not to get bitched at, but anyways, what are everyones thoughts on the Peavey Valveking 212 combo? It fits my budget.
^You can do better.

Used Peavey 5151/6505 or XXX?

Marshall DSL401?

Kustom 36 Coupe?

Traynor YCV40WR/YCV50Blue + OD?

Give those a shot.
+1 to Peavey XXX and Traynor Blue. In all seriousness it blows those halfstakcs out of teh water and will sound waayy louder. i owned 4 solid state halfstacks over the past couple of years and their volume sucked. i got drowned out at shows by my counterpart who had a dsl 40 combo a 3/4 volume, while i was at full...
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by gibsonpenguin
I said
used.

I thought u just meant used on the peavey lol i feel stupid.
I do agree that nothing beats a good valve amp, my main amp is a Marshall JVM with V30 loaded 4x12 and I love it! But............. I also run a Spider II 2x12, both for practice, and have gigged to about 250 people with it, without going into the desk.

Remember the Line6 is digital modelling, I don't really consider that the same as solid state, because it isn't using SS components to replicate tubes as such.... it's taking your guitar signal and digitally processing it to replicate a tube amp.

It's not as good, but it is good when set-up well, and with a bit of patience it can sound very nice. I still use mine regularly as a recording tool, as the emulated out is way easier to get sounding nice than an SM58 in front of my 4x12.

It's also been great when playing in covers bands because you have a vast number of different amp sounds at your feet. Great when you have a really varied set.

So, IMHO, I do love valve amps, but at the cost you are talking about, I'd take the Line6 over a bad valve amp.

If you do go for a valve amp, have a think about a second hand JTM60 combo or stack. I've ran the clean channel of one of those with a good overdrive and it can sound real nice, for a nice price.
^Which of the valve combos that have been recommended would you consider "bad"?

And I'm not so sure I agree with you on the quality of the Line 6, but whatever, you seem to like it, so that's fine.
^^ ill disagree with you. I used to have a II halfsatck and when i turned it up for a show, i got a really thin buzzy sound.
I have read on forums before about people having reliability problems on Line6 gear (my echo park delay has been nothing but trouble) but mine's always been good to me, and really quiet at high volumes, which I think is important.

I was referring earlier to the Valveking, tried one (nearly bought one!) but it was awful (in my opinion).

And also (I'll probably get flamed for this!) I always thought the JCM2000 was way too noisy; the JVM is a huge improvement for Marshall.

The other Peavey's would be great, but I think it'd be hard to get one for the price? At least here in the UK..... I might be wrong for the US prices.
I'll agree with teh Valve king. not too big of a fan of them. and with the JCM2000(thought they were thin and muddy and not justified by teh price) Now other peavys here in US are easy to find and cheaper. I could go out and get a 6505 halfstack for 700 bucks off craigslist, or a combo for 700 off ebay. ori could go down to my store and pick up a XXX combo for 500
^^AFAIK, Peaveys are a much better deal to people in the US than to people in the UK.

Also, agreed on the Valveking, I haven't heard too many good things about it.
In which case, I'd take the XXX combo, and put the extra money into a flight case with wheels! It'd save the amp, and save your back at the same time.
Take a look at the Randall RG50TC or the B-52 AT 60W 112. Much better amps than the stacks you're looking at, and you get to save a couple bucks in the process, too.

50-60W in a tube amp will sound as loud as a 100-150W SS amp. Amazing, but true.

Looking used is also very wise, and you've gotten some good suggestions in this thread. Maybe you could find a Mesa F50 under $700, too. You'll regret any of those stacks you mentioned. Trust me on that.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.