Right, well I'm now in the market for a new guitar. It's going to be my only guitar in a long time so it's gotta be a good 'un. What I currently have is an Ibanez RG321, your bog standard beginners guitar so anything's an upgrade.

What I'm looking for?

Well:
-I want a humbucker guitar.
-Not an Ibanez shape or superstrat
-Nothing that looks like a Tele or Strat
-Versatile: coil tapping is a bonus
-Not a thin neck (I.e not a Wizard type neck)
-Not a Les Paul
-This is going to be played through a Orange TT so crunchy dark tone which is what I'm aiming for.

So, see what you can suggest from there.

I was actually looking at the Gibson SG but then so many people have one...
Then I considered a Gibson Explorer Pro (the yellow/black flame top) but then I saw the neck was quite thin (about 2.1 cm?? not sure) so that put me off.
I also considered a Schecter Tempest. I like it, has a good feel to it but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it for long.

Based on this what can you suggest to me?

Cheers.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
wat's wrong with thin necks, they help you play faster and allow you to hit more notes?

any ways, try looking at PRS's or a Gibson Flying V
i would get the SG. dont worry about being like everyone else, if you like it then you should get it
the explorer pro's neck isn't super thin like they make it seem... i found it to be just right. i also like the tempest though, the standard or custom model... not the bigsby equipped model.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
where are you in the world? that'll affect price and availability a lot!

what type of tones are you after?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by strat335
i would get the SG. dont worry about being like everyone else, if you like it then you should get it

Yeah, it's not so much looking like everyone else because well...there are only so many different guitar shapes...It just doesn't seem exotic enough. That's why I was looking at the explorer, because it still has a sort of "classic" look but still modern.

How thin is the neck, say at the 12th fret for example. Because basically what I'm after is a normal neck thats not a strat/tele/ and pref. not a les paul shape.

My budget is around 1500USD btw.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
I'd say look at the Schecter C-1 Classic, but it's a strat shape, so I guess you're not too interested in that.

Maybe look at Carvins, they're really great guitars.

I'd give the SG another look too.
Quote by philjay
Yeah, it's not so much looking like everyone else because well...there are only so many different guitar shapes...It just doesn't seem exotic enough. That's why I was looking at the explorer, because it still has a sort of "classic" look but still modern.

How thin is the neck, say at the 12th fret for example. Because basically what I'm after is a normal neck thats not a strat/tele/ and pref. not a les paul shape.

My budget is around 1500USD btw.

you could probably get a custom-made guiterrez or similar for that amount of money. might be worth considering, since you seem to know exactly what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^Bear in mind I'm in the UK, so a custom guitar is probably too complicated as the idea was should my dad travel to the US, he would pick up the guitar there.

I think I will look at the SG again, because it really does fit the bill quite nicely. I'm going to try an Explorer though. Otherwise I think it's just a question of laying my hands on as many guitars as possible tomorrow on Denmark Street London

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
ok, well i dont know much, but i kno mahagony body guitars tend to have a darker tone, and schecters have that. i had the chance to borrow i friend's schecter for a couple of weeks once, and it had a nice dark sound to it...if u like dark sounds....i dont personally. if you like that sound thoug i definitly recomend one because the necks play well and they are very well built guitars
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
from your description i thought SG immediately, then i saw you ruled them out so i can only suggest you reconsider the SG
Carvin DC-135
PRS SE Soapbar II

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)
yeah, sounds like you need an SG, did you mention a price anywhere?

because if you've got the cash you can get some pretty original SGs, like the GT, silverburst, or the Blue 61 Ri, or even The SG3
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Get a black SG standard. Standards have thicker necks, and not many people use the black one.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
*Compiles pics of interesting not as common SGs for you*:

The Sapphire Blue version of this (can't find pics):

you can also find the SG standard in white, sorry for all the pics, I get excited
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

^ Love the first one
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
HAHA, I think the SG users unite thread has camped out here for a bit.

I think I will reconsider an SG, I remember playin a G400 and liking the feel of it so it seems like its the way to go. Plus, it seems to be the guitar of choice for most stoner rock bands. As for which one well...I'll see! I'm still gonna play around though, you never know, something might crop up!

Cheers guys!

One thing though, that SG GT, what the hell is that thing on it??

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
I'd check out a PRS. It's not strat shaped, it's PRS shaped. I have 2 PRS', a Gibson LP, 2 Ibanez, and a Strat. I prefer the PRS look and the sound most of the time. They run decently priced too. But only some people like the way they feel. Either they fit you or don't.

I really think since you're playing through an orange, the only types of guitars you would want would be Gibson, PRS, or Gretsch. My opinion though. Those are the guitars that would fit that amp. Dean, Jackson, ESP, Schecters, Ibanez all might be a little too metal for the sound you're going for. And could possibly sound rather thin through an orange.

Completely my opinion, no one shred me for this. I'm just saying.
Possessed? Of course I am.

Quote by Demonikk
^^Apart from the MGs :P
They just drop outta Jim Marshall's ass
In know this is an old thread, but I'll give my suggestion anyway.

I'd say check out a parker fly. Those seem awesome to me... here

(I want this one...)

they come in more finishes too...
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by philjay
^^Bear in mind I'm in the UK, so a custom guitar is probably too complicated as the idea was should my dad travel to the US, he would pick up the guitar there.

I think I will look at the SG again, because it really does fit the bill quite nicely. I'm going to try an Explorer though. Otherwise I think it's just a question of laying my hands on as many guitars as possible tomorrow on Denmark Street London

try out some gordon smiths! and eggles and jj's, if they have them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

If you're in the UK then why on earth did you say yo uhad a budget of $1500??? We ain't the 51st state yet y'know

If you've got £750 you could just buy 2 of these...ticks all the boxes as far as I can tell, although you might consider it superstratty

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/x50-pro/67531

and I know you said no Ibanezes but there's always the Iceman...of course, not everyone is cool enough to an Iceman
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Right well I was out on the guitar shops. Played around with a bit of everything. Meh, seemed like there was little hope.

"Along Came Firebord"

It's a funny looking thing, stands out, funyn headstock and body shape : special.

Sounded great with crunchy small mesa combo (think it was an express500 or something)

I fell in love. The neck was nice, the action was good, played nicely sat down.

This was after trying an explorer: VERY awkward. Probably more of a stand-up guitar but still, didn't apeal to me as much.

After playin a small Foo Fighters riff (you have to, everytime you pick up a firebird...you just do), I settled for that. So thanks all but I think my mind is set. If not, Ill be sure to revert back to this thread.

About me saying 1500$ rather than £750, generally it seems the english can manage converting currency without kicking up a fuss, so bearing in mind the number of yanks on here (me being one ^^), I thought I might as well.....

Peace.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
What model firebird was it?

Please tell me it wasn't the studio. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

did you get to try any of thos gordon smiths? in the uk, they're as good, if not better, than gibsons for about half the price. In my opinion.

though if you're getting your dad to buy from the US, maybe it's a moot point.

But last time i was in denmark street they had maybe about 10-15 Gordon Smiths. Shame i was in a hurry or i'd have tried them all!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by hamish5178
What model firebird was it?

Please tell me it wasn't the studio. . .

It will be, the mini hums are too thin for my taste of music.

Sorry to disappoint.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
What you described, that you are looking for... is a PRS CE 24. Beefy enough neck, coil tapping pickups, humbuckers, doesnt look like a strat or a les paul, and you should be able to get one in your price range. Remember.... NOT the SE series PRS... the CE series. Outstanding instruments that cover quite a bit of tonal territory... and along with your orange amp you will be very very happy.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Last edited by brianthemayan at Jul 1, 2007,
That SG GT is awesome ha. When reading your first post I was thinking of sugesting the tempest but you did how ever alrdy have in mind. I would say go for it. I almost wish I could that instead of my Les Paul.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
OK, try a PRS, a Music Man, and an ESP Viper. You have nice ESP explorers as well. USA made ones would be excellent. ESP Viper will give you the dark tone
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic
ESP Ltd Viper 301 vintage sunburst
PEAVEY classic 50 212 combo amp
Quote by Gu1tar K1d
Epiphone Firebird

Yum

I'd say that this guitar is the gayest looking one ever
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic
ESP Ltd Viper 301 vintage sunburst
PEAVEY classic 50 212 combo amp
I vote an ESP viper. You have the sg shape, with a twist. Plus, it'll get darker tones than an sg would.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
I vote an ESP viper. You have the sg shape, with a twist. Plus, it'll get darker tones than an sg would.

I don't do EMGs. Too...meh. And the shape..well its like the SG's ugly cousin, not for me..

Thanks anyways!

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot