My beloved Warwick Corvette ProLine has a stripped truss rod nut. I bought it in the States, and in my opinion, the previous owner was using emperial allen keys to adjust the bass instead of the proper metric ones. A 3/16th's allen key is close enough to 5mm, but the guy damaged the nut. I could still adjust it, but you could tell it was stripping. I though that if I took it easy, it would be OK, but today, it just went out and stripped. When I got it, a 5mm key (the proper one) wouldn't fit (i.e. I think it was from the guy using the emp. one), so I used the 3/16th as well, but now it won't adjust at all.

The neck bow is just fine (I was doing minor tweaks, and I've set up all my other basses without any harm at all), and the bass plays like a Warwick should, but I'm worried that in the future, I won't be able to set this thing up at all... or nobody will.

Does anyone have any advice? I feel that this could be a costly repair... or is there a screw at the bottom of the neck, so if I take it to get set up, the luthier can adjust it that way (while he adjusts the neck angle)?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I suspect that, if in the future the truss rod must be adjusted, the fretboard would have to be taken off and the truss rod repaired/replaced, unless you can adjust the truss rod from both ends i.e. if it is bolt on, remove the neck and have a look to see if their is a hole in the end of the neck to see if you can adjust it though their, though I doubt it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
well the truss rod isn't mentioned at all on the warwick site so my guess is that it's a standard truss rod that can only be adjusted at the nut in which case i'd say take it to a luthier for repairs it'll be costly but its gotta be done sooner or later
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
****!!!

Granted, it's fine now, and I don't think the neck bow won't get unbearable for a few years. Regardless, it's a shame.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
take it to the store and ask how much would the repair be... you might be shocked by the price... but, i mean... its a warwick! its worth it!
What's even worse is that I was going to buy a wenge brass nut fretless Warwick neck off eBay a few weeks ago, but the guy took it down...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
god, thats a pain... warwick fretless basses sound soo fuking good........ im amazed how they retain that damn growl on a fretless!
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods/1/Truss_Rod_Rescue_Kit/Instructions/I-5680.html

That may be cheaper then having the fingerboard removed or getting a new neck.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods/1/Truss_Rod_Rescue_Kit/Instructions/I-5680.html

That may be cheaper then having the fingerboard removed or getting a new neck.

Good call, thanks a lot. However, I do hope that it's a long while before I need to do that.

But dang, I really wish I had the opportunity to buy that Wenge fretless neck...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Keep looking. eBay often takes a while, but good things do turn up.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Yes... that has happened to me to one of my basses before.

But I may have some good news. When was your bass built? If it was built before circa-1998, it may still have a removable truss rod.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Yes... that has happened to me to one of my basses before.

But I may have some good news. When was your bass built? If it was built before circa-1998, it may still have a removable truss rod.

Arg, no, it's a 2001. How much do you think the repair is going to cost (considering the DIY is $229)?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
A lot to say the least. It is pretty tricky to get the fretboard off without damaging the neck or fretboard. Damage could lead to a need for replacememt, so more cost. And it is a pretty tricky operation.

I would say £100 min if you are VERY lucky to have a luthier who knows what he is doing.

Best to just ask for an estimate.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
do oyu happen to have a die kit laying around? this happened to a kid and he came to the store i work at so i just squared the truss rod exterior and mad it so a socket could fit around it and i told him just to use that, he says it works good enough
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
^ another great idea... my guitar player works with tool and die. If he doesn't have a kit himself, he'll have access to one.

But for now I'll keep checking eBay and wait for a response from Warwick. I also know a very good luthier. Thanks for all the input. I was really wondering if there was some super-secret solution that I didn't know about.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
http://www.evor.com/askrick_66.html

You might be able to do that but it depends on the type of neck.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.