I found myself with a little bit of spending money, and I've gone and made a hypocrite of myself. However, when I laid eyes on this thing, I knew I had to have it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190125383988&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=009

It's a nice toy, just like my 8-string, but I don't think I'll ever see something like that again. I was in the market for an acoustic guitar to write music with, but if I tune this thing BEADGBE, I can use it like a bass/guitar on one neck (with the lower octave).

Yes, I know I badmouth cheap acoustics, but cheap acoustics are fine with high notes, and this one has a lot of them.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
looks like a fine instrument for the price......who knows? you might find it has a great sound!

p.s. - if you dont like it, you can always give it to me...
Last edited by DesolationRow0 at Jun 30, 2007,

$45 for shipping.

Are they on the moon or something?

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Quote by screamsoftly

$45 for shipping.

Are they on the moon or something?

Dude, sure, that's about right. I was once charged $65 actual shipping prices for one bass. That's by no means a gouge (but by no means a deal).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'll kill you if you tune it BEADGBE. Tune it like a bass should be tuned. Otherwise, give it to someone that will treat it like the beast that it is (me).
Quote by Bumper
I'll kill you if you tune it BEADGBE. Tune it like a bass should be tuned. Otherwise, give it to someone that will treat it like the beast that it is (me).

Yeah, but I don't want to relearn guitar chords. If I tune it the crappy way, I can at least play bass at the bottom and guitar at the top.

Or, maybe I could tune it ADADF#AD and get some crazy open D action...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
You could tune it BEADGCF#. Period. End of. Trust me, you won't be able to play guitar chords on it like you think, it just doesn't work. Now don't make me rob you.
I think it would be interesting to string it up with strings that were meant to be tuned F#-C (from low to high). I wonder how the acoustic would handle it. I have that funny feeling like it would do a horrible job, but I think it's worth a try.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Bumper
You could tune it BEADGCF#. Period. End of. Trust me, you won't be able to play guitar chords on it like you think, it just doesn't work. Now don't make me rob you.

http://lordonly.net/lojtbas3.htm

This guy tunes the bass that way... and if you're going to rob me over him, you really have some whacked out priorities.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
those are electrics not acoustics. It's not that you can't play chords on the acoustic, they probably just won't sound very good.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
Chords not sounding good on acoustic instruments? That's a new one...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
http://lordonly.net/lojtbas3.htm

This guy tunes the bass that way... and if you're going to rob me over him, you really have some whacked out priorities.

Don't wave John Turner in my face. Are you sure he tunes up like that? I always thought his 8 strings were tuned in straight fourths. I might be mistaken though. Tell you what, I'll ask him.
Quote by Bumper
Don't wave John Turner in my face. Are you sure he tunes up like that? I always thought his 8 strings were tuned in straight fourths. I might be mistaken though. Tell you what, I'll ask him.

He's the guy I got the idea from.

On the double neck on:
"Each neck is tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E, low to high, just like my single necks. "

On the 7 string page:
"How do you tune them?

Low to high, B-E-A-D-G-B-E, except for my first fretted, which I tune low to high F#-B-E-A-D-G-C. I chose the guitar tuning originally, when I got my fretless, to help me figure out what to do with the top two strings."

It's July 1st/4th weekend... I'm waving everything infront of everyone's face.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Jun 30, 2007,
^Great. Now I have to add John Turner to my people to kill list because of the way he tunes. Seriously though, you won't be able to play chords on this like you will a guitar. It would be much more useful to tune it to fourths, and keep all your scales in the same basic shapes. Then you can construct your own chords a bit easier. On the chord thing though, seriously, you can't just play an open G on a bass like you could a guitar. Not even if it's tuned the same.
^ Yeah, I wouldn't mind trying some crazy tunings, though. I was thinking of playing it Chapman stick style, using the 4 top strings as chorded strings, and bass lines with the A, E, and B. I like playing upside down mandolin chords on bass (whoops, I just gave up my secret) in certain ways, so we'll see.

But regardless, if me and friends are sitting around a camp fire, and one punk pulls out an acoustic guitar and plays 'time of your life', I'll bust out the 7-string and then see what happens.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Chords not sounding good on acoustic instruments? That's a new one...

On a bass acoustic chords probably won't sound great, but they'll sound alright.
Quote by Bumper

(This is indeed a delayed response)

Why would I tune it BEADGCF#? Wouldn't you want me to tune them all to 4ths? That way, it'd be tuned BEADGCF.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
nah dude you gotta be heavy as **** and tune it F#BEADGC
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
nah dude you gotta be heavy as **** and tune it F#BEADGC

The more I think about it, the more I want to tune it to a low F#. Sure, it'll sound dead acoustically, but the piezo pickup should pick up the string without any problems.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, but I don't want to relearn guitar chords. If I tune it the crappy way, I can at least play bass at the bottom and guitar at the top.

Or, maybe I could tune it ADADF#AD and get some crazy open D action...

Could you really barre that though?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Well, I probably could, but when I play open D on a guitar, I don't always barre. I'll, say, barre 4 strings, and hit the others strings open a la Jaco.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
since no one else has the balls to say it, I'm going to...

THIS THREAD IS STUPID!!!
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join