So I have a 1973 Chevy Van with an El Dorado motorhome on top. Theres no speakers in the front but the stereo still works. Someone left the stereo on and the battery died. I jumpstarted it, drove it down to this battery shop, and had it tested and the meter came to 12 volts (with the engine on) and so the guy said the alternator wasnt chargin the battery (which would have read 14) and I needed a new one. I bought a new alternator and put it in, and it started up fine. This was the day before yesterday and that day I started it up like 10 times and drove it a total of about 10 miles. I didnt try to start it up at all yesterday, but today I go to start it and it wont start. The lights/wipers/stereo all work, but the engine doesnt turn over at all. Could anyone give me any ideas as to what this could be? I really dont have that much car expertise so I dont know if it has something to do with the work I did on it or if its something else. Also, before I started it up today I was trying to take the center console out to get to the engine (for those of you who dont know old school chevy vans, to get to the engine you have to take this massive plastic console out from inbetween the two front seats). I undid both latches and took out both floor screws but the thing was still stuck in there and I thought perhaps in my trying to yank this thing out I could have messed with some of the ignition wires or something.

Im really at a loss as the thing was running fine...

EDIT: I forgot what is probably the most important piece of information which is that I tried to jumpstart it again and it still wouldnt start, so I dont think it involves the battery.
Originally Posted by guitar_freak333
I dont like death metal, I just see it as a bunch of hairy men playing the same riff over and over again exetremely fast.
Last edited by Shoestick at Jun 30, 2007,
there should be 2 more screws bury deep in there on the sides. and try to hit the starter with a 2by4 or something and crank. because the motor doesn't even crank. so it doesn't seems like a fuel problem.

get it running and sell it. those van is a big o piece of troubles waiting to unfold.

oh those 2 screws i talked about you have to go from the hood. shine a flashlight and there and you will find it.
Last edited by ZombieModeRocks at Jun 30, 2007,
Quote by ZombieModeRocks
there should be 2 more screws bury deep in there on the sides. and try to hit the starter with a 2by4 or something and crank. because the motor doesn't even crank. so it doesn't seems like a fuel problem.

get it running and sell it. those van is a big o piece of troubles waiting to unfold.

Lol I just bought it. My band is taking it across country. It runs really well, i took it to my mechanic and he said it was a good find but yeah Ill try that.
Originally Posted by guitar_freak333
I dont like death metal, I just see it as a bunch of hairy men playing the same riff over and over again exetremely fast.