Do you think learning tecnically hard songs (Yngwie, Atheist, NEgadeth, etc.) perfectly with a metronome and stuff is a good way to develop my technique and speed and stuff?
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
it doesn't hurt
some of that stuff requires to already know skill and technique though
maybe easier stuff building up
Yes. I get more out of spending a week getting a tough song nailed that I ever do out of just practicing an excercise. It's alot more fun that way.
Well I already know technique and stuff, and I can play fast, but I definitely need to metronome the stuff so I get less sloppy
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
Don't just practice songs- take patterns from the songs or take the most difficult licks and get them totally nailed, hell even play them double speed if you can.
But unless you can perfectly read music, isn't playing with a metronome with tabs a little hard to get the right timing?
Quote by Slicendice

stop using UG as a search engine.

I guarantee that google will be 10x more helpfull and loving.
Quote by Heavil
But unless you can perfectly read music, isn't playing with a metronome with tabs a little hard to get the right timing?
If it's hard for you to get the right timing with a metronome, that's a sign that you need the metronome.
Quote by CowboyUp
Yes. I get more out of spending a week getting a tough song nailed that I ever do out of just practicing an excercise. It's alot more fun that way.

+11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

theyre much better than exercises
cause youre actually interested in them
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
And always remember that just playing the same easy song/riff over and over again won't help that much. Always go for the more challenging stuff (With a metronome, like it was said before) like Malmsteen, and other shredders
Question: if I want to practice hard songs on a metronome, do I play every note/powerchord etc. on a tick?
Play it in time with the song. The metronome should be clicking to the tempo of the song, and you just follow and play exactly as the song is played.
The "thick" is the tempo. There is half note, wich are played between etc "thick" and there is also faster the that. I recommend buying a little theory book for beginner to learn the basic of music.
Quote by Slicendice

stop using UG as a search engine.

I guarantee that google will be 10x more helpfull and loving.
metronome is important, but the whole point is to build feel for rhythm aswell, in studio generally they make you play to the click but it's so you play in time, look when you play a gig you don't have a metronome and you have to play with feel, i think a metronomeis good for developing feel, many people play great with a metronome but have ver y bad feel cause everything they do is to a click, i rate play with a metronome but than play the song to a backing track
Quote by jimmypage1904
when you play a gig you don't have a metronome and you have to play with feel

or maybe............... a drummer! its like a human metronome that can make loads of different clicks.