I've been wanting to solo stuff for along time but I have no idea how. so what are some scales i need to learn that will help me?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Learn as many as you can. Simple.

Definitely learn:

Major.
Minor.
Minor Pentatonic.
Blues.
Harmonic Minor. (Optional I guess, but it just sounds so cool).
you will fight death as you slowly realize...
Tell us the genre. Or else we can't give any scale suggestions really.
I bet you five bucks that I play guitar.
When we learn the Major for exemple. Should I learn all of them? I mean, the C, C#, D, D#..and so on? and THEN go to minor the same way?
Quote by Slicendice

stop using UG as a search engine.

I guarantee that google will be 10x more helpfull and loving.
Nevermind, double post.
Quote by Slicendice

Last edited by Heavil at Jul 1, 2007,
Minor pentatonic is a great scale to start off with. I find that the major scale when you start ends up sounding too classical, on the other hand the pentatonic always sounds bluesy and good for rock.
wow the site is lagging really badly.

but to thrash64, i'd like to learn to play as versatile (sp?) as i can.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by Heavil
When we learn the Major for exemple. Should I learn all of them? I mean, the C, C#, D, D#..and so on? and THEN go to minor the same way?

Well its all the same pattern regaurdless of what key you play it on. For example if you play it on the 3rd fret its in G, move over one and your in G#/AFlat, move over to 5 and your in A. Either way your playing the exact same pattern you would for G its j/ in a different spot.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
You dont have to learn every scales note per say but learn their formulas so you can make the scale on the spot
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
To make it easy to learn a major scale Heavil, you can just learn 1 pattern on the fretboard and then slide it up however many frets to change it to a different scale, just remember that major scales all have the same intervals in between the notes
Could someone recomend a book that gets deep into theory and teaches how to do this?

Yea thats right thanks. For exemple, I know perfectly one Scale, Major C.

So in fact, I know all Major scales? I just have to move the whole "pattern" to the right all the time from 1 step (or two)?

Does it mean I could start learning Minor? Or do you recommend to practice a few time the Major in other keys before?
Quote by Slicendice

And for your "theory book". Well, I think it's not necessary for your actual level. You can learn Scale very easily with guitar pro. You can select all the Scales in all keys and all you have to learn is where the notes are.
Quote by Slicendice

www.guitarists.com/scales

They have all the scales you could possibly care to learn.

I'd recommend scales in this order

Pentatonic minor (then the blues minor)
Major
Learn your modes
Harmonic Minor (more optional than necessary, it's more difficult than most scales)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
BLUES SCALE FTW!!!!

e--------------------------------------------5--8
B-------------------------------------5--8-------
G--------------------------5--7--8--------------
D-------------------5--7-------------------------
A---------5--6--7-------------------------------
E--5--8------------------------------------------
i say minor pentatonics, then move on to dorian mode.
u might want to put together the minor and major pentatonic scale. thats what crossroads, you shook me all night long, walk this way, all those songs' solos use. - Guitar World September(?) 2007
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by BLOODLETTING
Learn as many as you can. Simple.

Definitely learn:

Major.
Minor.
Minor Pentatonic.
Blues.
Harmonic Minor. (Optional I guess, but it just sounds so cool).

When your talking about the "Minor" what is it? Because I can't find it anywhere just called "Minor"...

It is not on: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=A&scchnam=Major&get2=Get
Quote by Slicendice

Aeolian = Minor

Id suggest learning the major scale and all its modes first. Then experiment with some of the minor scales and its modes. Harmonic minor and melodic minor can be used quite often.