So Im getting a new amp. I want a tube amp not a solid amp and ive come down to these three choices. Im looking for something in the 200-500 range. Im pretty familiar with marshalls and fenders. What i dont know much about though are peavey amps. The music i play varies from grunge to hard rock to metal to alternative. So I guess the amp im looking for should be good for a wide variety of rock genres. Ill be running some pedals and what not through it too. So i guess my questions are do you have any recommendations on what type of amp i should consider buying? and how are the peavey amps?
"I have a large fridge at home and I've been eating alot of pork chops"
There is sooo much difference between those amps. It's like saying 'trying to decide between telecaster, les paul and esp'. List what amps of guitarists who have a tone like you are trying to achieve, and see if you can find any trends (ie. trends to el34 amps, which hints Marshall).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
If you don't need good clean tones, don't get a fender. Peavey would be a great choice, check out valveking combos.
There is nothing from marshall in that price range, unless you get lucky with used gear. Not much in that range from Fender either. It comes down to size, but I'd definately check out the Windsor if I was you, might have trouble getting a true clean tone out of it though.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by wHere_aM_i
So Im getting a new amp. I want a tube amp not a solid amp and ive come down to these three choices. Im looking for something in the 200-500 range. Im pretty familiar with marshalls and fenders. What i dont know much about though are peavey amps. The music i play varies from grunge to hard rock to metal to alternative. So I guess the amp im looking for should be good for a wide variety of rock genres. Ill be running some pedals and what not through it too. So i guess my questions are do you have any recommendations on what type of amp i should consider buying? and how are the peavey amps?

I wouldn't limit myself to Tubes if I were you. Maybe you like them now, but in the future you might want more sounds and different tones out of your amp. If money isn't an issue for you, then by all means get what you want. But maybe be a little more opened minded and look at hybrids and maybe open up to solid states, because you CAN get tube-like sounds out of those, believe it or not.

That being said, I've only played the Peavey Windsor and a b52- AT-100. And I prefer the Peavey sound... And the Peavey price. The Windsor will only drain you about 400 bucks. And it's all tube, which is what you're looking for. But again, I've only played these two tube amps so my opinion is almost void.

Windsor: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=481331
Possessed? Of course I am.

Quote by Demonikk
^^Apart from the MGs :P
They just drop outta Jim Marshall's ass
The music i play can be pretty versitile so im looking for something that can give me a nice clean tone but at the same time sound nice and dirty. The guitar I play is an epiphone sg special. I dont plan on getting a new one for awhile so I want something that pair up with it nicely. The things im looking for in the amp i purchase are nice warm sounding tones, big, loud, nice clean channel for pedals and effects. for under 500
"I have a large fridge at home and I've been eating alot of pork chops"
Last edited by wHere_aM_i at Jul 1, 2007,
please don't buy a hybrid. it is not good (or if it is good, it is not because of one tube it has, but rather it's made well in other areas). don't listen to anyone trying to divert you from your choice, and go for a tube-amp. your ears will thank you. Anyway, I can highly recommend the Peavey Classic 50 which I currently own, as it is a beautiful sounding amp, and will get you through most hard rock and even metal overdrives, although you might consider something like a tubescreamer ts808 along with it. It is great though on its own. Also, I have tried Fender Blues Junior, a small tube amp which sounds very good. Not much overdrive on it though. For Marshalls, I can only say that they are either great, or suck ass, as there is nothing in between, so be careful. Don't buy an AVT. Maybe if you could get a JCM800 used, it could be a good choice, but I do not know how much they would cost
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic
ESP Ltd Viper 301 vintage sunburst
PEAVEY classic 50 212 combo amp