hey guys ive been playing for about a year now and its seems i still have this dead spot when holding a root six barre chord... on the 2nd string...
and when i have to play songs using barres and hammeron and off it it just doesnt get grounded right...

what am i doing wrong? has anyone else got this problem?...
i use medium strings and my action is quite low... ?
It could be the action. I would recommend a professional set up by your local music shop!
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
I just wanna get this straight. By 'root six barre chord' im guessing u mean a barre chord with the root note at the sixth fret?? A chord like this:

--6--
--8--
--8--
--8--
--6--
--x--

Which note(s) sound dead exactly?
Here's a simple test. Put a capo on the fret where you're barring all strings, and strum all 6 strings "open". If each string rings clearly, then it's your technique, but if there's still a dead one with the capo on, check your action, or possibly a neck alignment problem. It could even be a high fret, one that's not fully seated in the groove in the neck.
If you find it's your technique, then practice. One of my past teachers used to piss me off everytime I'd get something right, he'd say "Good, now do it again", but he was right, even if you got it right, do it again and again. That builds strength and finger memory.
yep tom183 something like that... yea my action is good so from what you say i think its my technique. its always the note on the 2nd tring (thin 2nd string)....

so yea i guess i just gota practice.
the other thing is when im playing a song using bar chords kinda hard out my hands get really really sore. i dont think thats quite right either? so what do i do?
Not to hijack, but I have a question. Is it normal for acoustics to have a dead spot on the 13 fret of the high E string??
Well I know that mine does and when I have seen Clapton play his Martin, it also has a dead spot. So I just assumed that it was normal.
Kennocha, if your new at barre chords, it will take you a while to build up the necessary hand strength to do them properly, and for long periods of time. Take it easy on them in the beginning, otherwise you could injure yourself, tendonitis. Stretch out your hand and arm before playing if your intended on doing alot of barres, and it'll save you some pain later. If you ever have a chance to look closely at a lifetime guitarists hands, you'll notice that the fretting hand is much more muscular and defined than the strumming/picking hand.
LuthierofTexas......if your really a luthier.. you should know the answer to that question. Check your action. if its tooooo low youll notice a buzz. What you need...its a real luthier to fix that lol . sorry...i'm drunk.
Guitars.

Seagull Entourage Rustic Q1
Washburn D-10 N 93'
Jay turser.. i dunno what model.
Quote by Kennocha
yep tom183 something like that... yea my action is good so from what you say i think its my technique. its always the note on the 2nd tring (thin 2nd string)....

so yea i guess i just gota practice.
the other thing is when im playing a song using bar chords kinda hard out my hands get really really sore. i dont think thats quite right either? so what do i do?

That is a really common problem to have when you are a beginner with barre chords. I'd say that the B string is probably the hardest for people to play cleanly when playing 5th string root major barre chords... like:

e--6-
b--8-
g--8-
d--8-
a--6-
e-----

you just gotta keep on practicing! you'll get it eventually!

Quote by LuthierofTexas
Not to hijack, but I have a question. Is it normal for acoustics to have a dead spot on the 13 fret of the high E string??

what do you mean by a dead spot?
^When I say dead spot, I mean the note just dies right after its played. It sounds flat and just doesnt ring out.