I need some advice on getting a Geddy Lee like tone. I have a Status T-Bass with 3 Pickups and a 2 band active EQ and also a 8 band EQ on my amp. I have tried playing at the bridge which gets me a little closer however it still doesent sound right.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
^It would be absolutely ridiculous to go out and buy all of that crap just because you want to sound like Geddy. He wants advice on preamp settings, how to play, etc.

On your bass' eq set the treble up fairly high. Keep the lows at a medium level. That should give you a bit of a treblier, cutting sound like Geddy has. On the amp, keep your treble high, but set the mids slightly higher. Also, play with a pick. I know Geddy uses his fingers, but without years of practice and technique study you're not going to get that same tone that he does with your fingers. So, play with a pick. Tell me how it works out.
Ok thanks ill give that a try.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
he also hits the strings prety hard and plays as his pointer as a pick and moves it back and forth on the strings a lot
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
Try Bass Player magazine with the Rush transcriptions, or the issue of Guitar World's Bass Guitar that has the link Foible gave you. ( I think it's out now )
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.