I have been looking around the interweb, and I can't decide to either get a Squire Standard Strat or a Vintage V6 (the Strat copy). They have practicly the same reviews and are around the same price. Also, if I get the Vintage it would be in Woodstck white, cos it's cool
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Vintage without a doubt. The people giving the Squiers good reviews tend to be people without any experience of good guitars, wheras the Vintage series are seriously awesome for what you pay. The Vintage Strat may even rival the Fender MIM Strat in terms of specs. I know a professional bluesman who gigs with the stock Vintage PRS copy. They really are good guitars.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Vintage definately, had my vintage for years and worked perfectly, and it sounds so much beta than my m8s squire strat.
All Squires pretty much suck. Lots of other companies make much better instruments in that price range.
All the Vintages I've played (not very many) have been very similar to Squiers, quality-wise. I wouldn't be able to choose one over the other without playing them first.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Jul 1, 2007,
Quote by mr_hankey
All the Vintages I've played (not very many) have been very similar to Squires, quality-wise. I wouldn't be able to choose one over the other without playing them first.
Even if the quality was the same, I'd go for the Vintage, with a great setup it'd scrub up well, especially with these specs:

Vintage® V6 Series
Body: Eastern Poplar
Neck: Hard Maple – Bolt On
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Scale: 25.5"/648mm
Frets: 22
Neck Inlays: Pearloid Dot

Tuners: Wilkinson® WJ55 E-Z-LOK™
Vibrato: Wilkinson® WVC
Pickups: Wilkinson® Single Coil x 3 (N)WVS (M)WVS (B)WVS
Hardware: Chrome
Controls: 1 x Volume/ 2 x Tone/ 5-Way Lever

Locking tuners, Poplar body, Wilkinson Vibrato...
^I wouldn't say those specs are much better than those of (some) Squier guitars. The only thing that is interesting is the bridge; and those tuners aren't really locking anyway.
True about the tuners. The annoying thing with the Squiers I find though is the uncertainty of body wood. In the UK they have Agathis-bodied affinities and standards, but in USA it's alder-bodied affinities and agathis standards. But even then my 'UK' Squier was alder. sure, agathis doesn't make that much of a difference, but the real-sized trem block, alnico pups and everything else have to count for something...
^Sure, but that's no reason to just go for the Vintage; like all other brands/models, there are great ones and not so great ones. I've played some great Squiers, which I would definitely choose over any Vintage, despite the somewhat lesser specs. Of course, it could work the other way around too.

There are plenty of fine SquiERs out there. You just have to try them out. The bottom end Squiers are usually terrible... however some can be made to play beautifully with just a nut and bridge change. (and possibly tuners)

I have a Squier that plays as well as $1500 Fenders I've tried out. It just takes some work.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
i've played a vintage... it seems to good to be true for the price... i don't trust them... so go for the squier, if it poops on you, switch out some hardware

and are you talking about the reliced vintage? because they look way too fabricated from up close...
that vintage does seem pretty cool... i mean poplar (its used in mustangs and a few of the reissues) definitely trumps agathis

also check out the vintage modified squires they seem nice
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
i used to have a squier strat and i wasnt all that impressed but it was still ok, i also used to own the vintage sg copy and that was much nicer so if the vintage strat was to the same standard i go vintage over squier.
Gear

Ibanez RG1451 (Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck)
Jackson DK2T(Bareknuckle Miracle Man bridge,SD Jazz neck)
Ibanez RG321mh(SD JB bridge)
Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
Quote by Hoppusorange
All Squires pretty much suck. Lots of other companies make much better instruments in that price range.

Says the person who can't spell it. Squiers are decent guitars for the money if you want a licensed fender designed instrument.

They aren't all bad, if you're lucky, you can get a real player from squier - i have, and never played a fender tele that compares in my opinion. They are rare but they do exist.

Vintage in the same way aren't bad, they make a wider range of guitars and they are very varied quality wise, but if you want a fender style guitar, you aren't going to get a more authentic guitar than a squier, even though you do tend to get a few really terrible instruments from them due to their lack of quality control and the fact that fender WANTS them to be low quality so that people buy american fenders rather than squiers.

@MrCarrot - what you say about most good reviews being from people who have never played a "good" guitar, i must inform you that i'm not one of those people, i know most squiers are pretty badly built, but i genuinely prefer my squier telecaster to any fender tele i've played.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 1, 2007,
Those machine heads are not locking as you would expect, you have to tie them in a peculiar fashion, not like a screw or anything.

I'd go for the Vintage, I have one (which i am selling) which has served me well. But now I have the guitar in my Sig i really have no need for it.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH