Hey, me and my band are looking to record our own demo. We already recorded some songs (www.myspace.com/incarnia) but as you could hear we have programmed drums. We would like to record with real drums. Any of you guys know which ones are good? Thanks in advance.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Get any pair of cardioid pattern condenser microphones and hang them over the kit, left and right. Then put a dynamic mic in the kick drum. Run them all through a good preamp and output the preamp to whatever you record with.

Oh, and go to a different forum.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Budget?
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Thanks, where else would i put this thread?
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
UG Gain Whore
I guess like 500$ max.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
And how many pieces does your drummer play?
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
He's going to have 3 toms, 1 floor tom, bass drum, hi hats, 2 crashes, 1 ride, 1 china, 1 splash.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
Bass Drum:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-Beta-52A-Kick-Drum-Mic?sku=270267

Overheads (hang one over the left side, one over the right; whatever picks up the cymbals the best):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AKG-Perception-150?sku=270377

Snare:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-DSM1-Drum-Mic-Mount?sku=270770

Toms:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-E604-Evolution-Series-Dynamic-TomSnare-Mic?sku=270817

I'm not sure how much that comes out to, and I can't really explain micing patterns, but these are the mics I used with the last drummer I recorded with. They worked fantastic.

Keep in mind you'll need cables and stands.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
get an AKG drum mic set. reasonable priced. good quality.

an EV RE-20 will do anything and everything, but one mic costs more than your budget.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You don't need tom mics, the overheads will pick them up just fine. I'd say two overheads, kick mic, and a snare mic for that extra attack. Remember, you've gotta get some preamps, and good ones can be pricey.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
alright sweet, thanks a lot man.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
Quote by Muphin
You don't need tom mics, the overheads will pick them up just fine. I'd say two overheads, kick mic, and a snare mic for that extra attack. Remember, you've gotta get some preamps, and good ones can be pricey.

That really comes down to tuning. The frequency range of the overhead mics could potentionally be low enough for the tom toms depending on tuning, but they probably wouldn't sound to good with the floor tom.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by TehNez
That really comes down to tuning. The frequency range of the overhead mics could potentionally be low enough for the tom toms depending on tuning, but they probably wouldn't sound to good with the floor tom.

I use a pair of cheap Joemeek JM27 overheads and they even pick up the bass drum. But I only have a 5-piece with two cymbals and hi hats.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
you only need 2 snare mics, 2 overheads and 1 bass drum mics. Experiment with miking techniques. Alternatively download BFD and go digital.
OKay... here's a lil list of recomenended mic's from the studio where i study sound-engineering..
Its only a recommendation cuz finally it comes up to trying different stuff n what YOU think sounds the best.. its subjective!

Kick - AKG D112
Top of Snare - Shure SM 57
Bottom of Snare - Berodynamic condensor
Hi-Hats - Nimen 184
Tombs - Sennheiser MD421
Over Heads (panned L & R) - Audiotechnica 4033A

again its subjective but thats what we usually use in the studio for recording drums... Sound pretty good but it mostly depends on the overall acoustics of the room, placement of the mic's and how the kit sounds.

Edit: and make sure your recording interface has a "Phantom Power" switch. You need to have it switched on if you're using condensor microphones or else they wont work!
Quote by Muphin
erm ... yes ......and no.

The balance between the toms and cymbals can't be adjusted, and to my ears, it always sounds too heavy with cymbals. And you will never get the "cannon" kind of sound that bottom mics give.

None of the ideas here are bad. just preference. But I'd probably do 2 of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AKG-Custom-4Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack?sku=278572

That will give you 2 larger diaphragm mics for the bass and floor. and 6 for whatever else.
$200 each x 2 sets = $400
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
sweet thanks ^ i was actually look at that just before. I'll talk to everyone about it all. thanks again everyone.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore