At my college, there is an entire wall filled with people who are looking for a new band mate.

I was looking through the papers and i noticed that everybody was looking for a drummer, singer, or bassist. They already had a lead/ rhythm guitarist. I guess guitar is a much more popular instrument than a bass or drum set. Probably because a guitar is the loudest of the three generally.

So a guitarist looking for a band is very common i guess and we get a hell of a lot of competition. I'm going to start to learn a bass for supply and demand reasons almost. It looks like i'll have more sucess as a bassist.
"Those with the heart and the brain to get past it can spot a pathetic without even asking" -Phil
Yeah, I know what you are talking about, that's right, the guitar is a very popular instrument. It's flooded by lot's of show-offs and wannabes, but it also provides a large variety of styles (something different than punk, pop or metal is rare, though).

You have several options:

One is simply to outplay them. I don't know how good you are, but this always works. Don't be arrogant or anything, just get a band, cover some hard songs and play them on a gig. Once you've gained some reputation, you won't have any trouble with competition anymore.

The other one is by showing a unique musical approach. Do something interesting.

And the third option is to switch the instrument (thats rather unpleasant).
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
^^Yeah. There's a reason why you don't normally hear bass and drum solo work whereas you have many solo guitarists. In more cases than not the drums and bass need to be in a band setting to really flourish, whereas guitarists are able to stick it out on their own.
Quote by panteraddict
I guess guitar is a much more popular instrument than a bass or drum set.

NO REALLY?!??!?!!?!
Quote by ad4mZX
Not that it's the loudest, it's that it's the most versatile.

Victor Wooten would beg to differ. So would Marcus Miller.
yea, down here in Texas, that's pretty much the way it is. I've been trying to pick up piano, mandolin, and violin, and singing too. Bass isn't too hard for me either. So..I can kinda do my own thing, but I'm always looking for other guitarists to inspire me.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Thats why you learn everything, so that if someone needs help, you can play with them. Work hard at everything, and you will be noticed in the community as a great musician. Learning multiple instruments also gives you a different look on all music.

But dont give up guitar to pursue bass just because you have a better chance. Sure work on bass, but dont give up guitar.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
& then there are people like me...i wanted to be a drummer,but my house is too small for that. so i had to choose either bass or guitar,& quite frankly you hardly ever hear the bass in a metal band

it's just natural selection
Quote by Sense()Offender
Victor Wooten would beg to differ. So would Marcus Miller.

Wooten is far from versitile. he can slap and pop just like a bunch of other bassists. what else can he do?
Quote by yawn
Learning everything takes money. ><

Meh, not really. Just get a job, and start off buying cheap stuff. It does the trick.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
Meh, not really. Just get a job, and start off buying cheap stuff. It does the trick.
Meh, if I got a job I'd need to put the money towards the welfare of the family rather than buying unnecessary luxuries.

And if I were to spend it for myself, I'm probably more in need of a car. ><
Last edited by yawn at Jul 1, 2007,
Quote by Jearl
Wooten is far from versitile. he can slap and pop just like a bunch of other bassists. what else can he do?

i think a better question would be "what can't he do" the list would be much shorter (if there even is a list) btw, this really isn't music theory related, it'll prolly get closed if a mod sees it.
Wooten hardly ever slaps compared to his double thumbing technique. He has everything down pat, and hes amazing and so versatile.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Quote by Jearl

Double thump, chords, harmonic chords, tapped/artificial/natural harmonics, two handed tapping. What more do you need ?
no sig
Quote by DeathDealer
& then there are people like me...i wanted to be a drummer,but my house is too small for that. so i had to choose either bass or guitar,& quite frankly you hardly ever hear the bass in a metal band

Try removing it though.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Quote by DeathDealer

Tool uses there bass ALOT some songs they have more bass than guitar and they are very groovy. o.O I play guitar and when i get into a band i want my Bassist to be heard cuz i sometimes feel bad since u cant really hear them in metal ... thats why i like my distortion to be very high so the bass can do what he is supposed to do and play the bass....
Quote by Jearl

Listen to his version of Norwegian Wood and then feel very dumb.
I'm so sorry to hear your tragic loss.

Irrelevant.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.