Ok, so I'm writing a very simple song for fun and to improve. I want to be able to solo in it with E minor pentatonic. But this is where I'm confused. To make the solo work over the chords, would I be restricted to the chords E, G, A, B, D? These are the notes in the E minor pentatonic scale, and from my understanding to make it sound alright its a good idea to stick to the notes of the scale for your chords.
Also, how would I do a cliched progression that would involve a VI or VII, when it is a pentatonic scale? And how do I know whether these chords (presumably E, G , A B D) are minor, major or 7th or diminished or whatever?

Thanks
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Last edited by John W at Jul 1, 2007,
you could use the blues scale
Gear:
-Brownsville BMAG3 (acoustic)
-Fender 70s Reissue 60th anniversary Stratocaster
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-Roland Digital Piano HP-4500
-(other stuff)
E natural minor scale Em F#/Gbdim G Am Bm C D

I just found this.. would this be the chords I could use? I couldn't find it for the pentatonic.
If I used Em, G, Am, B and D that would fit in right?
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-

*masturbates*
Any chords from any key which has the notes of the E minor pentatonic would be fine, It'd work best over a key that naturally resolves to E than one that resolved to say C for example. All the chords should fit as they are diatonic to E minor and so is the E minor pentatonic. And just btw it's F# dim because there's an F# in the E minor scale not a Gb.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Ok thanks.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-

*masturbates*