Alright, here is the deal. I just bought a guitar yesterday, I got an amp, the chords, everything I need. I even have an instruction manual, so I now know how to get main notes on the first four strings, and I know the C, G, G7 and D7 chords. I'm having trouble getting my C chord to resonate like the others do, but... when I check, I even make sure my hand isn't pressing any other string... I have problems like that. I can read music, I've played piano/keyboard for about... 8 years, (I'm 17), so... my main problem is just lack of knowledge, I think, and, of course, I have no IDEA how to read a tab... I usually use the ones that name the chords above a sheet music, but... Will someone help me? Maybe I just need a guidance instructor or tutor that I can just ask questions to whenever I get confused... Is there a good way to go about teaching oneself, or... should I really wait till I have the money for an actual instructor? It's easy now, but... I'm thinking it will get harder.
Oh. By the way, I should add the type of guitar, shouldn't I? Sorry. I have a black Squire Strat Fender, I think it's called... I'm COMPLETELY in love with it, and got no sleep last night from trying to get down most of the basics. 6-string. <3
well.. i might not be into the whole thingy, as some of the other ppl might be..
But sure, here is my Email ( Messenger ) Dj_flyhigh "at" hotmail.com (avoiding Spam bots ;D )
But i know how to hold the C, and how to read a tab hehe
I don't know about you, but when I tried to teach myself I completely screwed myself over. My teacher helped me fix that >_>

And tabs basically tell you which fret to use. So if a tab says like... 3, then its the third fret from the nut. And each line represents 1 string.
i kinda dont understand how it could NOT sound right if you know for a fact that you're not muting the the rest of the strings,and are infact in tune, if neither of those two things are a problem it should sound fine. but as for tabs, its easy, the bottom line represents the Low E string, the line above that is the A, then so on and so on....the numbers represent the frets you play on those strings
You'll be confused for a few weeks, but you can do without a tutor if you don't want to spend the money. About the chord problem bit.. practice until you are able to keep your fingers from hitting other strings when they're not supposed to. Tabs are easy, get used to reading them because they can be a lot quicker than reading notes, at least in my case, considering I just started reading music about a year ago. The number on the tab is the fret number and the strings should be labeled (usually the low E on the bottom). You will eventually pick up on the letters and what not. Most tabs have some kind of key at the bottom.
That's what I thought, but a lot of the tabs on here are so confusing... I think I must be looking at them wrong, because... I don't have enough fingers to hold down that many frets on one string... >.< I feel like an idiot... haha.
when you see the same fret being played on a couple different strings...you usually will just use 1 finger to press them all at once, the picture below i just made as an example..is that what you meant you'd see and feel you didnt have "enough fingers"?..if so then for the example i have below you would just use you'r index to press all the strings on the first fret,then you ring and pinky for the 2 strings on the 3rd

E---1--
B---1--
G---3--
D---3--
A---1--
E---1--
Wow, it's really that easy?! That's amazing! Hehe, thank you so much! I'm glad I asked, I don't feel so lost anymore. I really appreciate it, is there a particularly easy or less complicated Tab song that I could use to start out with?
Haha, though, I guess I shouldn't label it easy until I've gotten through a couple of tabs... *chuckles*
Here’s some help on reading tab (tablature)...

To start with, put your guitar on your lap, strings facing up. See the highest sounding string? The one that’s farthest away from you? That would be the top string on a tab, above the B.
Tabs are always written like this. If you put your guitar with your strings facing towards you next to your tab, the strings will be positioned the same way. Either way, something like this would be your empty tab:

E |----------------------------------------------------|
B |----------------------------------------------------|
G |----------------------------------------------------|
D |----------------------------------------------------|
A |----------------------------------------------------|

Now, if I was to tell you to strike the 1st string (highest sounding E) open (without pushing down on any frets), then hit the first fret on the same string, and then the 2nd on the string above it, I would write it like this:

E |--0---1--------------------------------------------|
B |---------2-----------------------------------------|
G |----------------------------------------------------|
D |----------------------------------------------------|
A |----------------------------------------------------|

Notice how each number represents what fret to hit, and depending on which string the number is on, that’s the string you have to strike. Getting clearer? Still got chords to do, sorry.

Lets say you have this:

E |---------------0-----0-----0------------------|
B |-----------1---------1-----1------------------|
G |--------0------------0-----0------------------|
D |-----2---------------2-----2------------------|
A |--3------------------3-----3------------------|
E |------------------------------------------------|

This is a chord (see if you can figure out which one) picked one note at a time and then strummed twice. The picking part is telling you to: strike the A string while pressing down on the third fret, then strike the D string while pressing on the 2nd fret, strike the G string in the open position, B on the 2nd fret and finally E open.
I’m hoping you’ve figured out by now that tabs on UG are always written left to right (unless you’re in Japan [?]).
On the chord section, notice how the numbers are stacked on top of each other. It’s the same as the last one, except played ALL AT ONCE. On the first bit, where you picked them out, you should have played the notes one at a time. Try striking a string, waiting a second, then the next, then the next etc… That would be the first part of the tab. Then, strum down all the strings in one second. That would be the strumming part, all though in the tab its telling you not to hit the 6th string, the low sounding E.

I hope this was easy enough. If you haven’t figured out the chord above, it was the C Chord.

If you still don’t get it, it’s my bad teaching not your bad reading ^_^

Oh one more thing, if you haven’t noticed, tabs generally don’t have rhythm. Also, generally people put instead of repeat signs things like x2 or x3. Tab is easier, but musical notation is far more accurate and will help you later on with theory.
Quote by Slvrncld
Wow, it's really that easy?! That's amazing! Hehe, thank you so much! I'm glad I asked, I don't feel so lost anymore. I really appreciate it, is there a particularly easy or less complicated Tab song that I could use to start out with?

Time of your life - green day

And yes, my above post was late Took me a while to type up, sorry about that.
<3 Minichibi-- Thank you SO much. It's not often you meet someone who actually has the patience to type that much explanation to a newbie. Hehe. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the other responses on this thread thoroughly and completely, and that's the truth. And Time of Your Life? Sweet. I'll look for it, it should be on here, right?
Quote by Slvrncld
<3 Minichibi-- Thank you SO much. It's not often you meet someone who actually has the patience to type that much explanation to a newbie. Hehe. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the other responses on this thread thoroughly and completely, and that's the truth. And Time of Your Life? Sweet. I'll look for it, it should be on here, right?

Yeah time of your life is on here, its popular enough. Btw, i answered your PM
you'll get use to it. i self taught myself and learned all the basics within a week (except sounding out barre chords). it just takes practice and dedication. watch as much videos as you can on youtube search google for guitar lessons and such. do as much as you can. if you really are dedicated you can teach yourself with many trails and errors
I'd recommend you try playing chords you don't know that look really challenging. You don't have to memorize them, just play them as finger exercises, they really help.

At the top of my head, these are probably the most beneficial chords you could try to get your finger dexterity up.

G Major Seventh

E |-1----------------------------------------|
B |-2----------------------------------------|
G |-3----------------------------------------|
D |-4----------------------------------------|
A |-X-----------------------------------------| <Don't play this string
E |-X-----------------------------------------| <Don't play this string

E Sixth

E |-4----------------------------------------|
B |-2----------------------------------------|
G |-4----------------------------------------|
D |-2----------------------------------------|
A |-X----------------------------------------| <Don't play this string
E |-X-----------------------------------------| <Don't play this string

It's a finger stretcher alright, but in a few days or so of practincing playing that chord you'll think it's a piece of cake.
Gear:
- G&L Tribute Series Legacy Guitar
- Behringer V-tone GM108 15-watt amp
Quote by Slvrncld
Alright, here is the deal. I just bought a guitar yesterday, I got an amp, the chords, everything I need. I even have an instruction manual, so I now know how to get main notes on the first four strings, and I know the C, G, G7 and D7 chords. I'm having trouble getting my C chord to resonate like the others do, but... when I check, I even make sure my hand isn't pressing any other string... I have problems like that. I can read music, I've played piano/keyboard for about... 8 years, (I'm 17), so... my main problem is just lack of knowledge, I think, and, of course, I have no IDEA how to read a tab... I usually use the ones that name the chords above a sheet music, but... Will someone help me? Maybe I just need a guidance instructor or tutor that I can just ask questions to whenever I get confused... Is there a good way to go about teaching oneself, or... should I really wait till I have the money for an actual instructor? It's easy now, but... I'm thinking it will get harder.

Dude, you been playing for ONE day. RELAX! and take it easy... Oh yeah and practice everday!

My advice... Practice POWER CHORDS alot... Your fingers will cry in pain but its worth it
Practice simple scales that you can reapeat over and over and over and over again it will help you find the location of teh frets faster... oh yeah and dont let Barre Chords scare you !\

If you love Metal like I do.. dont stress yourself over OPEN chords I had to learn ALL of them in high school.. and yeah open chords are useless ... [for me anyway] They sound bad on electrics too...
Last edited by saiyuki411 at Jul 1, 2007,
Yeah I just started recently playing myself around 2 weeks ago and Im teaching myself. Ive hit a snag, and Im having trouble playing any of the music Ive been praticing. Ive been trying to keep a constant 1-2 hours per day, but in some cases its not really helping. Its mostly my tremelo(not sure if thats spelled right) and strumming is pretty bad, and not matter many hours Im putting in its not getting any faster which is quite frustrating.

So really if you play without a teacher go ahead, but I think I might need one myself.