I've been playing for about 3 years now, and I've come to a point where I just don't feel like playing anymore. And I'm angry at myself for that.
If I pick up my guitar, it's only for 10 minutes or so, and I get tired. I can't seem to learn anything new for lack of wanting to play-- That and I've gotten to the point where the only thing left is the hard stuff, solos, improvising and the like... Since I don't feel like playing, I can't make any progress on that stuff.

Any advice on how to get back into it? =/
Find a band maybe?
Quote by Tyson2011
d von is truly one of the pit.

Quote by 09phillt
Good God Man What's Wrong With You!?
listen to/ try stuff u normally wouldnt play and basically just try different things thats what i do when i hit that musical rut, also take a break for a few days to a week then come back to it
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Start playing songs that you haven't learned already. Especially ones that sound good, and maybe get a band, jam with others, you might learn new things. Master all your skills, so that way someone can't say your quiting just because your not good.

keepin' it retarded.

Dirtbag #9 Of The Official Dimebag Darrell Fan Club PM INNOCENT VICTIM To Join
Maybe I should mention that I live in a Rap and Hip-hop infested area, and very few listen to my music, and by few I mean..30 or 40 anywhere near my age, tops. And even fewer play the music

The ones who play don't have cars and we live far apart, so it's practicly impossible for us to play until we all have licenses and cars. So, there goes the band idea.
If you don't have acoustic or classical guitar, buy one and try and learn something new. I was kind of bored of guitar and decided to buy a classical, and I'm playing just as much as I used to.

Also, if you mainly listen to one genre, try exploring different genres and bands.
This happens to me a lot. What I like to do is go into a guitar shop where people are playing,usually its people who are more advanced than I am, get jealous then go home and play like theres no tomorrow. Works like a charm, for me anyways.
Take a little break, after a few days you'll miss it and everything will be back to normal.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
you probably need to expand your music base. if all you play is metal, pick up jazz or blues. try classical guitar. write your own material. learn to play bass or keyboard/piano. start a band. any of these might help, and i hope you don't give it up!
I've notice the same problem, what I usually do in that situation is just put down the guitar for a few days. I've notice myself not really wanting to ply recently, I went the whole day yesterday without even touching my guitar, and I'm already fiending to play it.
Quote by Dethvone1
I've been playing for about 3 years now, and I've come to a point where I just don't feel like playing anymore. And I'm angry at myself for that.
If I pick up my guitar, it's only for 10 minutes or so, and I get tired. I can't seem to learn anything new for lack of wanting to play-- That and I've gotten to the point where the only thing left is the hard stuff, solos, improvising and the like... Since I don't feel like playing, I can't make any progress on that stuff.

give urself a break don't touch ur guitar don't listen to music you like unitl you miis it and want to play again. ( they say that's the best thing to do yet i never tried it cause i was never bored)

cheers
Quote by Dethvone1
the only thing left is the hard stuff, solos, improvising and the like...

I know a guy who only knows 5 chords. He's known those same 5 chords for about 30 years. I tried to teach him a couple of new ones, but he said that if he couldn't figure out a song using those 5 chords, it wasn't worth playing.

The point is, be happy with what you do know. There's more to learn later if you feel like it.
Quote by Norse_Iron_King
explore new sub-genres: for example, if you like metal, try death metal or power metal or black or thrash metal. If you like punk, try out D-beat, anarcho, OI!, or ska punk

for metal: try some prog and see how you do. i completely revamped my playing once i started listening to and learning prog songs. dream theater, for instance. maybe liquid tension experiment, or rush, opeth? kansas, tool, ayreon... look around and find something interesting. you don't necessarily have to like it, the guitar line just has to interest you.
Quote by ZootCst
I know a guy who only knows 5 chords. He's known those same 5 chords for about 30 years. I tried to teach him a couple of new ones, but he said that if he couldn't figure out a song using those 5 chords, it wasn't worth playing.

The point is, be happy with what you do know. There's more to learn later if you feel like it.

hes better off than me then, i dont know any chords... i cant get motivated to learn them..

i mean i can read tab and play stuff but i just don't know my chords...

and to the thread starter, best thing to do is take a break for a while.
Rainbow
(I'm not gay)
Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'm going to try taking the break for a while. When I coem back to it I'm going to try some Blues and Jazz.

Can anyone recommend some good Blues/Jazz?
Quote by Dethvone1

I'm in exactly the same situation, except whenever I play it tends to be acoustic stuff, chords and the like.
Quote by Dethvone1
Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'm going to try taking the break for a while. When I coem back to it I'm going to try some Blues and Jazz.

Can anyone recommend some good Blues/Jazz?

Blues: Howlin Wolf
Jazz: Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane

very famous names to get you started

i know exactly how you feel...and one of the best things i felt i could do to keep my passion for not only guitar but music in general is learning new instruments. i played guitar for about 3 years until i picked up piano (again). then i inherited a ukulele which i pretty much learned, and borrowed a violin from a friend.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
The same thing has been happening to me. I started listening to different guitarists, like Alexi Laiho, Michael Amott , and Sami Yli-Sirnio, players with different styles. it got me more interested in learning different aspects of the guitar
Quote by Dethvone1
...If I pick up my guitar, it's only for 10 minutes or so, and I get tired. I can't seem to learn anything new for lack of wanting to play...

1 - Put your guitar away, for a week. Don't even look at it.
2 - 2nd week no guitar, AND avoid music as much as possible. No radio, no ipod
3 - During that second week you will start to hear music in your head.
4 - 3rd week get out the guitar, and figure out how to play the music.
5 - ???????
6 - PROFIT!!!!!

During the second week, if you have a recorder,
you can hum or sing the melodies and record them. but no instruments.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Same thing happened to me, but with piano. I was playing for a longgg time and didn't really know where to go next, what else to learn, etc. I just stopped playing for a while. After a while, songs with cool piano parts just started sounding more and more interesting until I got sheet music of it or played it by ear and just started playing stuff more. Take a break, you're probably just getting tired of it. The "passion" will come back sooner or later.
Quote by astepabove
Hey. Guess what. I'm hittin' omgnowai. Yep. That's right. Seriously. Ask her. She'll say "Yes, astepabove is hittin' me".

yeah...he is. hehe