can someone please help me with diminished chords.

I got my 7ths 6th's sus2 sus4 major minor etc. Im just stuck on dimished.

i read two diffrent things about dimished chords.

one place i read it was a I bIII bV VI

but other places i read that a dimished chord is only 3 notes not four.

so instead of trying to figure it our, i say **** it, once i see the chord shape THEN i'll realize which was correct. But then i cant din the chord shape. I search for C#dim, but i cant find it. Well I find it, but its justa bunch of slash chords, like C#dim/D or C#dim/G or somethign like that.

can someone help me out?
dim : 1 b3 b5
dim7 : 1 b3 b5 bb7
m7-5 : 1 b3 b5 b7
Been away, am back
A diminished chord is a triad built of minor thirds. A diminished 7 adds another minor 3rd. A C#dim7 chord uses the notes C#,E,G,Bb. You might play it like this:
|--3--
|--2--
|--3--
|--2--
|-----
|-----

Edit: that's a C#dim/E btw. The slash thing is just an inversion in this case.
Last edited by ZootCst at Jul 1, 2007,
^ Minor chords use minor 3rds.
diminished chords use both minor 3rds AND diminished 5ths
Been away, am back
its the root, flatted third, flatted 5th. Nothing to do with the sixth, don't know where you got that info from, but its wrong.
Quote by Logz
^ Minor chords use minor 3rds.
diminished chords use both minor 3rds AND diminished 5ths

Yes, but a diminished 5th = min 3rd + min 3rd. Minor chords = min 3rd + Maj 3rd.
Quote by C130
Nothing to do with the sixth.

Its not a 6th. Its a flattened diminished 7th. It may sound the same, but in theory its different.

Quote by ZootCst

Yes, but a diminished 5th = min 3rd + min 3rd. Minor chords = min 3rd + Maj 3rd.

Ah right, i get where your coming from. Pretty awkward way of explaining it though. But i suppose it is useful in other theory.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
Pretty awkward way of explaining it though. But i suppose it is useful in other theory.

Lot's of things are awkward to explain in a couple of sentences on a thread post when you don't know anything about who you're trying to explain it too.
Quote by ZootCst
Lot's of things are awkward to explain in a couple of sentences on a thread post when you don't know anything about who you're trying to explain it too.

Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
Its not a 6th. Its a flattened diminished 7th. It may sound the same, but in theory its different.

Huh? Where did the 'flatted diminished 7th come from'. I was responding to this: "one place i read it was a I bIII bV VI". What's that VI in there?
Quote by C130
Huh? Where did the 'flatted diminished 7th come from'. I was responding to this: "one place i read it was a I bIII bV VI". What's that VI in there?

Sorry. Thought you were talking about my post: bb7
Been away, am back
because it's a diminished 7th chord, it has to contain some interval of a 7th. thus the bb7.

Logz is correct, even though a maj6 is the same pitch , it needs to be called a bb7.