Yes, another one of these dreaded threads.

Okay, I have been playing for a year(ish). I own a Squier P-Bass, but I am ready for a change...

Basically, I don't really have a money limit but I would like to keep it under $1000. I keep telling myself that I want a more mellow, Jazz sounding bass, but most of the music I play isn't mellow and Jazzy. I would like to have a bass that can sound good with Jazz, but that can also play harder rock (basically a heavier sound). I would also like a bass that has enough room to slap and pop. I am in love with the pickups on my P-Bass, but I am willing to try something new as long as it doesn't affect my speed...

Since I have only been playing for a year, I don't want to go out and splurge for some super advanced bass.

I was looking at: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Spector-Legend-Classic-4String-Bass?sku=517435

However, I am doubtful because there isn't enough room to slap and pop on that bass (from what I can tell). Also, I am wondering if that bass would have TOO much "punchiness"...

Please tell me what you think about the bass above, but especially give me other options, with some details.

I know you guys see hundreds of these threads every day, but believe me, when you answer, you are seriously helping someone out.
Thanks for the input! The Fender Deluxe P Bass is definitely an option. My only problem is that the pickguard is UGLY.
you can get a pickguard for like 25$ so definitly not a problem...

also if you pick it in black... the pickguard also goes beautiful with that color in my opinion...
Is it hard to replace yourself?

Is there anywhere online where I could browse options?
American jazz or american p bass.SR500-505-506.Stingray.1951 p bass reissuse.Geddy lee sig bass.Scechter elite 4-5.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by DesolationRow0
IM SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST!

Don't be sorry for the double post, use the edit button.

I'd recommend looking at the deluxe Fenders, Warwicks, Musicman and Lakland basses. If you don't mind buying second hand you can get the higher range instruments.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Hmm.. I would prefer getting a second hand instrument. Should I use eBay, or should I go to some local place?
Go to www.guitarcenter.com they sell used stuff on there.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
If you're buying second hand... unless it's the deal of the century and you're practically guaranteed to break even if you sell it on... NEVER buy a used instrument without trying it out first and giving it a thorough look over for possible wear and tear, damage, potential repair/replacement costs etc... preferably with someone who knows their **** there with you.

Because if you don't like it, you're stuck with it.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Enyab
Hmm.. I would prefer getting a second hand instrument. Should I use eBay, or should I go to some local place?

Try them out then buy it from wherever is cheapest.
Founder of Jaco society

What do you guys think about the Spector/Schecter?

I think that the Fender Deluxe P Bass would be a safer choice, but I kind of feel like I want to try something different...
Look at the Fender Marcus Miler Jazz and MIA Jazz basses. If you're looking used, see if you can find a Music Man Stingray. What amp do you have though? You might want to consider getting a better amp if it's not too good.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I have a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE amp. It's a freaking Traynor Bass Mate 10W... I am not currently in a band, so I don't really want to buy some super expensive one.
A good amp can make a bad bass sound good, with a bad amp no matter what bass you get it's oging to sound ****e.
Founder of Jaco society

So, is that why my bass sounds virtually the same with Flatwounds as it did with Roundwounds?

Also, what is an amp that won't make my bass sound bad?
Quote by Enyab
I have a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE amp. It's a freaking Traynor Bass Mate 10W... I am not currently in a band, so I don't really want to buy some super expensive one.

Your tone comes way more from your amp than your bass. It's not just about volume, when it comes to amps. A great bass amp can make a starter bass sound like gold, but an amazing bass through your Traynor amp will sound like sh1t. I would definitely reccomend an amp upgrade, because squiers aren't even that bad for starter basses. I reccomend Ampeg and Gallien Krueger for amps. Also, try looking into smaller/larger stacks rather than combos (depending on how much you want to spend). Just make sure you're strong, because bass gear can weigh up
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I don't know if they have Markbass amps in the US but I've got one and it is the stuff, 400w and it ways nothing, well compared to other amps of similar outputs.
Founder of Jaco society

Markbass amps pack serious punch for their size. They may be mini, but they sound great. I'd personally reccomend something bigger though, because of personal preferrence. That's why I'm saving up for an Ampeg SVT CL and an 8x10. That should be big enough.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

It all depends what sound you want, but if you can find a Markbass amp and like it there are no reliability issues or any other issues with them.
Founder of Jaco society

Should I even buy an expensive amp, because I'm not really going to be playing in a band anytime soon...
Buy a mid priced amp and a mid priced would be your best bet then, so if something comes up you've got the opportunity to play, you don't want to turn down an opportunity just because of poor gear.
Founder of Jaco society

go for an ashdown combo as someone already said in here, they'll be good for what you play, and you can easily play in a band and gig with it... the electric blue one...
If you can stretch it, go for a MAG series (ashdown).
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

I think I'll get the Electric Blue amp. It's pretty cheap, too.

Now, time to settle on a bass...

Anyone have any insightful comments on my current choices?

the Fender,
the Spector,
the Schecter

I am leaning towards the Fender, but I need some more opinions. Feel free to give me even more suggestions.
A Fender MIM Jazz, one of the most versatile basses around and pretty easy to mod in the future.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
A Fender MIM Jazz, one of the most versatile basses around and pretty easy to mod in the future.

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about. A MIM jazz would be the way to go. They're about unbeatable for the price.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Go look at A P-Bass Deluxe. They have the jazz neck, and a J-pup or humbucker (depending on what year you get). So you get more versatility. It's simplely the best of both worlds.
Quote by Captain Insano
Go look at A P-Bass Deluxe. They have the jazz neck, and a J-pup or humbucker (depending on what year you get). So you get more versatility. It's simplely the best of both worlds.

You won't get a very jazzy tone out of the humbucker. It'll be too meaty. It's probably more versatile than a standard P, but it's by no means a "P/J" best-of-both sound.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Well earlier today I was at guitar center trying some stuff out and tried out an ibanez sr500 and loved it. It can obtain all the sounds you're looking for, from light jazz to death metal. The only difference between it and it's big brother, the sr900, is it has a bolt on neck. I would definately recommend that bass.
I think one day I'll head down to my nearest guitar store, and just try out some basses. I would like to be prepared, so I think I'm going to definitely try out the Fender Deluxe P-Bass, and maybe something different, like a Schecter...
Schecters are also highly reccomended. I have a Stiletto Elite 5, and it's a tone monster. You can get about any tone you want from it. You need to beware though, it definitely sounds best with elixr strings. I have a set of D'addarios on it right now, and they were DEAD within a week. I wouldn't suggest them at all.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist