Hey there. I use an Epiphone Les Paul Goth and Washburn WI64DL on a Hiwatt 120 watt amp, and (for band prac) a Huge Crate 350W Cab. The amp ALWAYS hums really loud when I'm not playing (even when my volume on the guitar is off). I am not using an official boss adaptor, I am using an ordinary 9V one from the electrical store. My friends say that shouldn't affect it and the only reason it says to only use a Boss adaptor in the manual is for marketing reasons and to make money.

Is it my ac Adaptor that's causing the hum? The Pedal itself? Do I need a noise reduction pedal, a compressor? Plz help coz the drummers dad (who owns the amp I use at band prac) doesn't like the hum coz he says its damaging his Valve amp.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
It's probably just the pedal humming. High-gain pedals tend to do that... Get some kind of noise gate I guess. I doubt it would damage the guy's amp though.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Damaging his amp? first i've heard of hum damaging amps!!! Could be your pups and pots combined making the hum also... but more than likely, its the pedal, just purely because of the gain. happens with a lot of the Boss OD and Dist stuff.
Queens Of The Stone Age OWN!!!!!
Theres no humming without the pedal. And no humming when the pedal is off and running solely on the clean channel. I might try to get some batteries and see if it helps. If not then a noise reducer pedal or something.

Do compression pedals limit the noise or does nothing to it? Coz I don't know whether to get a simple noise reducer pedal or a compressor/sustainer pedal to further my sound coz a friend said a compressor can also limit noise. Is this true?
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
The adapter thing is actually true, the radioshack on if first of all ****, and secondly boss designed their adapter for their pedals so that's why it works better. (All this knowledge was learned from my guitar teacher.)
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
you get no hum when the pedal is off and on the clean channel? what about when it's on, but on the clean channel? if you get it only when you have the pedal on, while you're also using your amp's distortion, you could just be getting a lot of dirty, gross, hum because you're trying to clip a signal that's already being heavily distorted.
you could be getting some ground loop with the amp and power supply being plugged in. you could also chalk it up to assembly-line components used by boss.
I second the adapter point. You should look at getting a decent Boss or other adapter. Make sure that it's designed specifically for effects pedals. Checking with batteries should give you a definite answer.
metalzone is one hell of a noisy pedal, you'll have to bear with it.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by climhazzard
you get no hum when the pedal is off and on the clean channel? what about when it's on, but on the clean channel? if you get it only when you have the pedal on, while you're also using your amp's distortion, you could just be getting a lot of dirty, gross, hum because you're trying to clip a signal that's already being heavily distorted.

My amp is permanently on the "clean" channel and I switch only my pedal on for distortion and off for clean. I don't touch my amps overdrive/distortion.

Ye I think getting batteries should clarify what is causing the hum. If it continues to hum I'll get a noise reduction pedal, turn my gain slightly counter-clockwise on the pedal and see what happens.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
why would you use the MT-2 anyway? if there's a decent valve amp there, use the distortion on that...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
why would you use the MT-2 anyway? if there's a decent valve amp there, use the distortion on that...

If it's a SS Hiwatt then fair enough, but if it's a valve one then that's tantamount to a criminal offence.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm pretty sure it's trying to tell you to get rid of it, and buy a nice valve amp with good OD.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
The clean channel only works on the valve amp, for some reason the drummer said it's semi broken so the other channels don't work.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
I can almost promise its the adapter. Any guitar pedal adapter will work (dunlop, ibanez, boss) will work better than a store bought alternative.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
the humming is caused by the arficanized honey bees in the pedal (which create the distortion)

actually pretty much all high gain pedals do that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
It could be a bad pedal, My MT-2 doesnt hum very loud, If you think its not the pedal, But a Boss NS-2
It's not the adapter, i have the boss adapter for mine and it still hums. It's the pedal. It's hi-gain, get used to it.

And don't buy an NS-2, but an ISP Decimator if you feel you MUST have a suppressor
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
if you have a decent hum-bucker pikup it doesnt hum at all
you may want to turn off your top pickup too, also changing the heights of the
pickup can change things too, but its mostly the pickups you have are not
good enough, most likely, I know I use to have your problem till I palyed with my pickups