Page 1 of 2
hi
i want a overdrive pedal for my Marshall dsl-100 that i just got , everyone is saying to get a tube screamer ts-9 but i ain't got that much money but i could get one second hand , but the question is if i get a cheep ts-7 and get a mod kit for it will it sound just as good? + the mod will give me something to do during the holidays
I cannot answer that, as I have never tried the TS7, but from what I've heard, Ts808 is even better than Ts9 is. not sure if you can buy one now, though
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic
ESP Ltd Viper 301 vintage sunburst
PEAVEY classic 50 212 combo amp
IF your on a budget you could look at a digitech bad monkey, boss super overdrive, or a ehx linear power booster
I happen to own a Ts-7 and think it's the best TUBE overdrive for that price, the one I have sounds as good as my friends unmoded Ts-9; believe it or not.
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
Quote by TylerRRR
I happen to own a Ts-7 and think it's the best TUBE overdrive for that price, the one I have sounds as good as my friends unmoded Ts-9; believe it or not.

There is no tube inside of a tube screamer.

Yes, you can mod the TS-7 to TS-9 or TS-808 specs. Don't worry about the mod kits on ebay, you can source the parts for much cheaper on Mouser or Smallbear.
^since when did I imply there was a tube? I was simply stating that the tube screamer works best with a TUBE amp not a solid state as in other overdrives fit solid states better.. a little to obvious I guess.
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
Get a Maxon OD9 or OD808. Superior to the Ibanez tubescreamers.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Quote by TylerRRR
^since when did I imply there was a tube? I was simply stating that the tube screamer works best with a TUBE amp not a solid state as in other overdrives fit solid states better.. a little to obvious I guess.

Your original post

Quote by TylerRRR

There was no mentioning of amp in your post. I was posting my statement to make sure there was no confusion, as your post, IMO, implied that the tube screamer was a tube overdrive. Yes, it is a pedal that is meant to overdrive the tube preamp of an amplifier, but your original post didn't do much to convey that message. Once again, trying to keep misinformation down amongst the unknowing...there was no harm intended.
^fair enough, I didn't explain my self very well.
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
from my first hand experience with modders, TS7 is the prefered model for modding compared to the 9 or 808
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I have a TS-7, and it isn't that great, all it can do it s make your tone fuzzy-ish.

They are great for modding though, there are plenty of things you can do with them.
You can make them sound rock hard, or whatever. It's like a Eevee, and then you can decide to use some stones to make him evolve into several other pokemonts, like Flareon, Vaporeon or whatever
Alright guy, this is simple, The chip for the ts808 is already in the ts7. So go out to radio shack get a pack of 100 ohm, and 10k ohm resistors. A saudering iron and metal, assuming you have the iron. the mod itself, if done by you will cost you about 2 bucks. and works just the same as the modded ts9 :S
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
Quote by Flyingwhitey182
Alright guy, this is simple, The chip for the ts808 is already in the ts7. So go out to radio shack get a pack of 100 ohm, and 10k ohm resistors. A saudering iron and metal, assuming you have the iron. the mod itself, if done by you will cost you about 2 bucks. and works just the same as the modded ts9 :S

I'm sorry for doing this, but I had to...I've seen you incorrectly spell this word too many times in one day. It is spelled SOLDER. And you're completely right. There really isn't much of a difference at all between all of the Ibanez tube screamers, the Maxon overdrives and other pedals that use the TS circuit. Mainly just resistor or cap value changes. The chip isn't a very big piece of the pie, it's mainly the resistor values.
so all i will need to mod it is some high quality 10 ohm resistors and 10k ohm resistors ? dose anyone know whear i can get a diagramand instructions for this mod or do i simpaly change all the 10 ohm and 10k ohm resistors.
Make sure you don't muck up, it's pretty easy to muck up in this case actually.

Carefully does it.
if you plan to do it, post it in the forum
do all ts7 come with the 4558 chip? i might mod one myself looks simple enough. how much for the 2 resistors? i would assume fairly cheap
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
like $.10 cents each online. at radioshack its like $2-3 for a pack of 5 or so. very cheap
makes you wonder where the $50+ cost for a ts-9 or ts808 comes in. damn extortion
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
metal casing instead of the plastic ts-7 case?? but still a metal case isnt $50.... those better be magical resistors for $50 more.
The 4558 chip and pair of resistors should be no more than $1...probably $3 - $5 with shipping depending on where you get them from.

Mouser is dirt cheap, but sometimes you have to buy at least 10 of something. But the resistors on Mouser (1/4 watt, 5% Metal Film) are no more than 9 cents. The 4558 chip from Texas Instruments is around 30 - 45 cents depending on which one you get. There are more 4558 chips than you can imagine.
Hmmm. After reading through this I have to reconsider.

I was gonna order the Bad monkey on wednesday, but with that tutorial I just found it seems like I should order a TS-7 and pay 5 bucks to mod it.

Is this really going to sound like a TS808 or will it be a rip-off, and I should still go with the Bad Monkey?
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
The circuit is the same, but a few comonents are different. I think the major difference is in the buffer, but I haven't had a chance to rip the pedals apart to spot the differences. You should get a similar end result with the modded TS-7 though.
There is only a 2 resistor difference between the TS-9 and TS-808. There have been various op amps used in the entire TS series. Everyone seems to prefer the JRC4558 chip, but there are tons of options available. Really, you can buy either one and convert is to the other...you can even make them switchable.

There are other changes you can make component wise to both the TS-9 and TS-808 to make them even better, but that's a subject for the mod forum.
has anyone got a idea whear i can hear the difront sounds from the tube screamers
check you tube for videos
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Meh, I dont know if its a constant, or i just mucked it up. But about a month later, my barrety cable no longer works :S I took it apart to find the connecter had melted. Could be a fire hazard, but no burn marks. Anways, when used with the adapter it sounds, nothing short of incredible.
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
Page 1 of 2