stuportrooper
493 IQ
Basically the title explains it all, but let's do a background...

I have been only playing guitar for a few months and I'm always nervous to ask idiotic questions like this to the clerks so I embarress my self here

all right I was at the store the other day and needed to get some strings for my guitar. looking at the selection I wondered if I could put acoustic strings on my electric guitar. I decided to get regular strings and not waste my cash.

But really, will it do anything different? Or will it even work (pick up) on the guitar
TaV0
What's the craic?
3,213 IQ
the nylon strings won't work, and the thicker ones, will sound awful, if they sound. Actuallya I don't know, but I believe it won't work
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
LastAuramancer
28 IQ
if the strings are metal, they will work. Acoustic strings tend to be larger gauges though.
Quote by sincewhen??
You LastAuramancer ....Are a GOD
guitarman47
962 IQ
i dont think so. sometimes i put 13's on my electrics to help with my finger strength. try it and see what happens!
Peanut1614
UG Board King
140 IQ
Nylons dont work at all, my friend did it to his electric and it soundes awful and the pick ups wont pick it up..
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

greendayguitar
UG's Proud Leafs Fan
1,212 IQ
Normal acoustic strings will work.

Nylons wont.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
bluesrocker101
Danny
997 IQ
Quote by Peanut1614
Nylons dont work at all, my friend did it to his electric and it soundes awful and the pick ups wont pick it up..

Nylons aren't magnetic.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
lyko65
10 IQ
actually i just put some light gauge accoustics on my ibanez AS-73 and it sounds amazing
brandon2784
UG's Oli Herbert wannabe
882 IQ
you could always just get electric strings but with a wound 3rd (G) string thats what i like doing since the g string always seems a little off to me... costs a little more but i like it a lot, mostly for low tunings like C# standard though.
metal321
43 IQ
I've got 13's on my acoustic but they are too heavy. I'll be moving to 12's when I have the money for a new batch of strings. I like to use light/heavies on my electrics. A .9 on bottom and then I use heavier strings for D,A, and E. It's helps if you don't have the strongest hands, but still gives you a little more meat on the low end. Have any of you guys read what guys like Pat Matheny use? I read once that he uses .17 gauge strings. Man, I wouldn't want to shake his hand. Talk about playing on barbed wire or what?
Last edited by metal321 at Jul 31, 2010,
Iblis92
Lyricist/guitarist noob
1,663 IQ
Acoustic strings will work, because their metal (if not nylon) and the pickups..pickup the vibrations the metal makes. I actually just found this forum because tonight I put acoustic strings on my electric... I would've put the electric ones.. But i sorta broke one... newbie mistake.
I like the sound it has, its a bit different and not what I was expecting but it has some benefits. One thing is that when I put it on my amp it sounded...warm. and then an added bonus is that I can practice and hear my guitar better without an amp (if im unable to use my amp ofc) Anyway, yea i like it. but theyre comin off soon.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"