Poll: Minimum number of songs for a demo?
Poll Options
View poll results: Minimum number of songs for a demo?
1 2%
4 9%
24 51%
4 or more.
18 38%
Voters: 47.
3. Keep them fairly short, and don't do like 1 uber metal, 1 acoustic ballad and an experimental elctro-butt-rock song.
3 is what most people do. I know a band that did 6 once. It got boring after the 2nd song....
3 or 4
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Never, ever, ever label anything a demo these days. What's the point? People can make better sound quality in their bedrooms today than top of the range studios were creating 25 years ago. Call it an E.P.

And 3 or 4 songs for an E.P, since demo's are now essentially defunct.
do 3 and then take one and make it the radio version
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by olif8
Never, ever, ever label anything a demo these days. What's the point? People can make better sound quality in their bedrooms today than top of the range studios were creating 25 years ago. Call it an E.P.

And 3 or 4 songs for an E.P, since demo's are now essentially defunct.

Possibly the difference is that people might expect you to charge for an EP, but would expect a demo to be free - so that you can be giving away demo CDs while trying to sell merch(which is a lot easier to get done cheap these days).
Yeah, 3 or 4's fine. We did a two track once, which we got covers and stuff made and just gave them out for free. We found that the two track did better because people'll actually listen to it, because it only takes about 6 minutes of their life to listen to.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Minimum would be 3 or 4. I'd always go with more though. And if you cant write more than 4 songs you're not going to succeed as a band. If money is an issue you can just record the extra tracks at home.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Schmietty
4. 3 originals, one cover.

Yeah that is perfect for a band just starting out.
Quote by Schmietty
4. 3 originals, one cover.

I personally wouldn't risk doing a cover unless you're really good. People know how the originals should sound, so if you don't do them justice then it'll make all your own songs look crap because they'll instantly realise that you're not that tight, if that makes sense.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Also, if you put a cover on without permission and sell the CD, you can get sued.
3 songs are probably as much as you'll get anyone to listen to unless they came in their pants at your show.
From someone who knows what they are talking about (a.k.a. me), a demo should be 2-3 tracks maximum. If you send your demo off to a promoter or A&R guy, he's going to listen to two tracks tops, and thats only if he likes the first track.

Demos should be between 1-3 songs. 2 is ideal, because it proves that you've got more than one good song, and three can be a bit pointless because it'd doubtful people will listen that much. The songs themselves should have vocals entering before around 20 seconds, and you should have your first chorus before 50 seconds - a lot of people who get sent demos don't have the time to listen to your 14 minute epics, so don't even think about putting them on there. Even if your song needs editing to get the vocals and chorus in quickly, do it... just for the demo.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that I'm talking about a demo here, not an EP. This is a demo you'd use to get gigs, reviews etc. An EP that you want to sell at gigs, I'd say minimum of two songs, nothing wrong with a 2 track cd... as long as it's not extortionately priced.
Last edited by Tom Martin at Jul 1, 2007,
Quote by Yakult
I personally wouldn't risk doing a cover unless you're really good. People know how the originals should sound, so if you don't do them justice then it'll make all your own songs look crap because they'll instantly realise that you're not that tight, if that makes sense.

Exactly but these guys are pretty good so I don't think they'll demolish a song.
You can get away with just one or two...

It's a Demo, not a release.
It depends on the lengths of your songs. Demo disks are usually 15 minutes to a half hour in length. So just fill up that time with however many songs it takes.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?