Well, I'm running the following:

EMG 81/60 -> Boss SD-1 -> Boss MD2 -> Crate Powerblock (150W SS) -> 1x12"

.. I can get okay ish tones out of it, but they're WAY too brittle and have NO warmth whatsoever.

Can anyone suggest what kind of pedals I need to fatten up and 'warm' my tone? I'm looking at getting a digital delay soon, but is it worth looking at a chorus or reverb pedal? I know that the amp is rubbish, but I simply cannot afford a full-tube right now.
Hmmm.. how would I fare with something like a Peavey ValveKing 112? I'm at the point now, where I only want tube for my next upgrade, and I can either buy a bunch of pedals, or an amp. I hate to admit it, but I have no idea what to do. A new amp seems like the most logical answer, but that would mean forking out some serious cash.
The vast majority of your warmth will come from your amplifier.

Having such high output pickups won't be helping things at all either. Changing them for a lower output would give you more warmth.

Try rolling back the tone a little bit.

The amount of people I know and have known who spend years messing with gear and never touch the volume/tone knobs always astounds me. Using them you can clean up, fatten, brighten etc your tone. Mess with them.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by -MintSauce-
Hmmm.. how would I fare with something like a Peavey ValveKing 112? I'm at the point now, where I only want tube for my next upgrade, and I can either buy a bunch of pedals, or an amp. I hate to admit it, but I have no idea what to do. A new amp seems like the most logical answer, but that would mean forking out some serious cash.

A Valveking is alright...but you can do much better, even at that price range.
I'd say, if you're really serious about your tone, and guitar...Get a job. Do oddjobs. Mow your neighbor's lawn. ***** yourself out to fat chicks.

What do you play?
Thanks for the replies dudes..

I'm happy with the tone of the guitar itself, and it seems to cope fine through other amps. I generally roll the volume back to about 80%, and the tone only kicked back a tiny bit.. just to control the highs.

Can you recommend any reasonbly priced amps, which take me into tube territory, and have decent cleans aswell? I'm not too worried about having stacks of gain or anything, as I prefer using pedals to give me a bit more control.

Edit: I have a job :P .. but I have a lot of studying to do at the moment, and I'm off on holiday soon.. but yeah, saving is key.

I play anything from loose punkrock, through Megadeth style thrash, to things like Children of Bodom.. so I need something that will actually respond to my picking, instead of a flat SS.
Quote by Kurapica
The vast majority of your warmth will come from your amplifier.

Having such high output pickups won't be helping things at all either. Changing them for a lower output would give you more warmth.

Try rolling back the tone a little bit.

The amount of people I know and have known who spend years messing with gear and never touch the volume/tone knobs always astounds me. Using them you can clean up, fatten, brighten etc your tone. Mess with them.

higher output doesn't necessarily mean "less" warmth.
i'd suggest an eq pedal. but honestly, you know you need a new amp man.
Well, see, with metal, it's hard to get anything cheap.
Probably best bet would be a used Peavey 5150, or something like that. You can find those for around 500.

I saw Dave_MC rec'ing this to someone: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Edition-Tube-20th-Anniversary-Model-Combo-Amp?sku=480426&src=3SOSWXXA
But I don't know anything about it.
well you have a 1x12" already, so you could go for a tube head. the valve junior is cheap, only has one knob, is clean, and will be a lot warmer than the powerblock. unfortunatly it is also only 5w so you wont really be able to play with a band or anything. it is nice for someone who wants to keep their control with pedals though. throw in an eq pedal and you will be good to go (i recomend the dano fish and chips, cheap and good enough).

next step up would be something like the peavey windsor for $400, the epi so cal or crate palomino for $500, or peavey classic 30 for $550. a bit more money, gives you more control and more power. im not sure which of those have the correct impedance for your cab, but since you already have a cab i would think a head would work. unless you dont like your cab, then go for a combo of course.

EDIT: i see you are in england, so disreguard the prices. the peavey's will be a worse deal over there. look at laney's instead as they are better priced on your side of the pond.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Well, the VJ wouldn't be suitable at all for metal. The Classic 30 or Palomino with a pedal could do the job, possibly. The Windsor would do it, but would have no cleans.

he said cleans are more important as gain is from pedals. so a VJ cranked up plus some pedals should do metal ok, as long as the pedals are decent. i mean its not the way i would go, but it should work. i like my gain from the amp, but if the goal is just for a clean amp with pedals for almost all the gain, i dont see why the VJ wouldnt work.

and -MintSauce-, the valveking isnt bad, it just isnt good. its a cheap tube amp that sounds like a cheap tube amp. it isnt as warm or responsive as other tube amps. its not that it is bad, it just isnt really up to par with other things you could get for a similar price.
I like the idea of just getting either a VJ head or combo. I've got another year of uni left, and I don't really have time to be gigging, so it'll only be used for bedroom practice and jamming. Having said that, I've heard great things about Hughes & Kettner tube amps, so I might look into 20-50w 1x12 combo of theirs. I need it loud enough to be heard over drums, but not so powerful that I never get it cranked, because it's too loud. Anyway, I'll stop being a pain in the ass and do some research.

Thanks again for your help
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/14396
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/31417 (returned)

I have one, it's good for metal, but doesn't have that much gain. Cleans are good, but I'm not exactly an expert.

Seriously, they're amazing for the price, and LOUD. They'd be a good match for EMGs, too - they're very bassy, to balance the EMGs' treble.
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
Last edited by sheldonplank at Jul 1, 2007,
Quote by -MintSauce-
Hmmm.. the Ashdown website says that all of their models are no longer in production.. what's the deal with that?

They're no long in production maybe?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
They're no long in production maybe?

Yes, but it seems strange that a successful amp manufacturer would discontinue all of their lines.

Has the company been bought? Or perhaps shut down?
Quote by -MintSauce-
Yes, but it seems strange that a successful amp manufacturer would discontinue all of their lines.

Has the company been bought? Or perhaps shut down?

They started a separate company, Hayden, to produce their guitar amps. Hayden Peacemakers (I think) are the same amp as the Ashdown Fallen Angel, more or less. It's £400, and much harder to find than Ashdowns were.

I got mine when Ashdown had stopped making them, as well. From that store, as it happens. That's why they're so cheap.

Edit: http://www.haydenamps.com/index.asp
Edit2: http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Hayden---Peacemaker-40,-Blonde~ID~1939.asp
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
Last edited by sheldonplank at Jul 1, 2007,
EMG's + solid state amp = zero warmth

They're you're two problems right there, ditch the Powerblock and get a tube amp, the EMG's will really come to life then.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com