how big a bass amp (as in watts) would you need to fill a medium-large venue? like something just short of stadium size?

if you could just list amp size needed for various sizes of venues that would be greatly appreciated.
If you needed it, you'd know

Nah. You don't need a big amp to play a big venue, you need a good sounding amp with a line out socket... and a good PA system. If you look at a lot of touring bands (that aren't 80's cock rock) you probably won't see vast arrays of cabs and amps on-stage with them. They know what they need.

edit: Okay, the profanity filter is getting really stupid now.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I agree with the PA comment, however if you know the PA doesnt have a Sub Woffer i would be cautious. I have a way nice Carvin PA but it sucks up the bass tone so i have a 450 Watt Half so most of the sounds coming out of the amp its self. It will piss off soundmen, but your sounds way too important. A PA without subs can screw up sound. Most Gyms, can be handled with 400 or more watts, (aka Pep band at a Basketball Game). Feel free to tell me im wrong anyone,
Also Carvin has a 1200 Watt Bass head and a 8 x 10 cab for only a grand.
So id check that up.
Quote by CollinPlaysBass
I agree with the PA comment, however if you know the PA doesnt have a Sub Woffer i would be cautious.

I'd be shocked if a venue of the size he seems to be talking about (that regularly runs live bands / musical shows of any kind) had a PA with no subs. Unless it's like, an empty warehouse or something.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
how much are you willing to pay for something like that?

well dude, that depends... because there are smaller amps with huge amounts of power... and there are big amps that dont have as much power as those smaller amps...
depends on the quality and stuff... there are 4x10's (like the B-52's).... that are SOOO LOUDDD they'll melt your brains out!
Depends on the quality of the PA system. Though, TBH, 400-500W stack or half stack will be more than enough 95% of times, and can give great tone (depending on the model of course).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by CollinPlaysBass
I agree with the PA comment, however if you know the PA doesnt have a Sub Woffer i would be cautious. I have a way nice Carvin PA but it sucks up the bass tone so i have a 450 Watt Half so most of the sounds coming out of the amp its self. It will piss off soundmen, but your sounds way too important. A PA without subs can screw up sound. Most Gyms, can be handled with 400 or more watts, (aka Pep band at a Basketball Game). Feel free to tell me im wrong anyone,
Also Carvin has a 1200 Watt Bass head and a 8 x 10 cab for only a grand.
So id check that up.

I agree with this guy, I'd hate to be completely reliant on the PA someone's got. But also you can pour huge amounts of cash on the amp as well, I'd say, like collinplaysbass, that the best route would be the carvin 8x10 fullstack and 1200 watt head for a grand. That's a good price for a fullstack, and you wouldn't need to depend on the PA. although a good smaller amp could plug into the PA, I'd rather use my own amp and be assured to rock the croud. Although if this place is big, I hichly doubt the PA is going to be crap.
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
Seems a pretty pointless question though - the threadstarter is 14/15 going by his username and probably in no danger needing this information!
i am 17 and i have a 410 stack with 320 watts(8 ohm) and it booms, that should be enough for most places, if not add another cab (115) or get the 810
You're right, I'm only 14, but I brought up a large size like that because I do play shows and I need to be sure that when I get my next amp it will be big enough for sure. All the places around here generally have sucky PA systems, so everyone relies on the actual amps.

Other threads like this always say "Oh you could probably get by with X number of watts." I'm compensating by saying a larger size than I'll be playing at, so I'll always have enough power and it'll last me a while.
Quote by Caustic
If you needed it, you'd know

Nah. You don't need a big amp to play a big venue, you need a good sounding amp with a line out socket... and a good PA system. If you look at a lot of touring bands (that aren't 80's cock rock) you probably won't see vast arrays of cabs and amps on-stage with them. They know what they need.

edit: Okay, the profanity filter is getting really stupid now.

Couldn't of posted it better.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
I like the punchy, middy tone for punk like Rancid, but I also need the option for a deep low sound because I like to play some Drop C metal stuff like early SOAD.

I'm looking at the Ashdown MAG C115-300 cause it gets good reviews and seems like it would work for me pretty well.
i'd recommend you getting a GK 1001RB head

and GK Goldline cabs: one 410 and one 115...

but i believe you dont really need so much power, so that ashdown combo will do just fine...
Last edited by DesolationRow0 at Jul 2, 2007,
You may occasionaly run in to a problem where the stage is very wide, outdoor gig, monitor system is poor or the P.A. lacks bottom reinforcement or subs. In these situiations you may need huge amounts of power and cabs, maybe cabs on each side of the stage. In most cases you won't need more than 700watts.
Quote by MLmaster37
well i definitely trust you *reads posts and sig*
thank you for your help

Over 30 years in the biz. If you are looking for speaker info, I have tried many over the years . So hit me up and I will try to help you younger guys and gals.
Thanks everyone for the help. I just played and outdoor gig on Saturday with combo Peavey and everyone said they could hear my bass solo perfectly well from way back, so I think the Ashdown is gonna be good.
Ashdown MAG combo's are built like Panzer tanks. They will not let you down unless you a) treat them badly or b) and much, much, MUCH more rarely, get a dud from the factory.