You probably get this question all the time, but this is my first time here. I've looked at some of the FAQs and things, and they helped. But I thought it would be quicker to do this. I am borrowing an accoustic guitar until I can earn enough money to buy my own.
How do I start? Should I just start trying to play songs? I think I understand tabs. The number corresponds with the fret number on that string.
Learn how to do basics like chords, hammer-on,pull-off, etc. But yes, you can play songs. That makes you feel like your really getting somewhere. Practice normal things AND songs.
And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
Songs are always fun, but there are better ways to improve playing starting off. Don't get me wrong learn songs or theres little point in playing an instrument. But if your just starting off you should learn at least the basic chords, especially if playing acoustic.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
These are the first I learned. CyberFret is one of my favorite guitar sites along with UG.

http://www.cyberfret.com/chords/beginning-7/index.php
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
learn basic chords, Em G D C ect. then learn basic songs to g et the chords good then power and barre chords then try hammerons pull offs and that stuf