Poll: Can you read music?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can you read music?
Yes. Multiple instruments, keys, and clefs.
33 34%
Fair amount. Can get by.
20 21%
A little. Give me five minutes, and i'll figure this out...
32 33%
Nope.
11 11%
Voters: 96.
Page 1 of 2
How many people can read music on this site?

Discuss, if there's anything to discuss...

Oh, like pros/cons, necessary or not, etc...
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
I can read music.... played trumpet for 7 years in the school band, and guitar for 4 years in the Jazz Band, Its a good skill to have, but not necessary by any means, Learn to improv. Unless your playing for a school or college or something i dont really think reading music will be that benificial.

and most sheet music in Jazz Band is just showing you the rhythm with the chords written above it.
Yay! I was waiting for another one of these to come around!
No cons, heaps of pros. Necessary, depending on what you want to do.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Yes. Being the little choir boy that I am I got alot of training with this.

There are no cons. There are never cons to learning something new. The pros include:

-being able to learn anything in standard notation
-being able to properly communicate with musicians (not just guitarists)
-being able to transpose things for other instruments that are written in standard notation
-pretty much anything having to do with standard notation.

There are no cons. There are never cons to learning something new. The main pros are:

Quote by CowboyUp

There are no cons. There are never cons to learning something new. The pros include:

-being able to transpose things for other instruments that are written in standard notation
-pretty much anything having to do with standard notation.

Well, i cannot read sheet music very well, but I can commmunicate properly with other musicians.

For example, "Hey CowBoy, lets play Jonny B. Goode in 'D' today, the old way is boring". I think that any musician who understand music theory can understand the above statement.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
A little. Give me five minutes, and i'll figure this out...

I'm trying to learn it more though... I DEFINITELY want to learn sight reading... it's much easier for understanding theory and it's much easier to get also... (and to use if you play jazz/in a band)
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by lagunasunrise
Well, i cannot read sheet music very well, but I can commmunicate properly with other musicians.

For example, "Hey CowBoy, lets play Jonny B. Goode in 'D' today, the old way is boring". I think that any musician who understand music theory can understand the above statement.

I think you missed the point.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Quote by EnimusPrime

+1

I can read in the treble cleff fluidly, the bass cleff is a bit harder but I can get through it. I haven't got around to learning the other 3? cleffs.

Pro would be what CowboyUp said and the fact that you can actually read music. It's like reading a book. You go to a concert by an orchestra, you can take out the sheet music and read along. It feels pretty cool.

EDIT: Resilliance says he only gets along with theory! Lying is a bad thing.
I'd prefer to be able to play something after hearing it but I ain't got a choice. I'd recommend learning how to read music - makes playing with other people a lot easier, as does any theory.
bass n treble clef, several positions, nothing above 10th fret though, and im still perfecting reading stuff in keys, not with accidentals, it's gettin there though
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
all pro's , no cons..... all i can read though is standard piano notation (basic treble/bass clefs)
i can read music, in the sense that if u give me half an hour i can work through a song and figure out how to play it, but i mainly rely on tabs. i learned violin when i was younger and i could read music, but ive mainly forgotten it. it takes forever to learn and i cant comprehend how people can sight read... geniuses
^ not genius', just lotsa practice, surely if i read music as often as i read tabs i could read music a lot better than i do.
I can read music.....

Important for: understanding theory
sight reading on gigs
taking a music class
teaching music or guitar lessons
getting a degree in music

good, but not necesarry for: playing and creating music.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 2, 2007,
I can sight read using my euphonium, but only treble clef. On guitar I can't really read music all that well. I guess I have to learn before school starts, though, because it's one of the requirements for playing guitar in my school's jazz band.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by Ænimus Prime

Can you explain to me what I missed?

And I agree with everyone who says that learning is all pros and no cons.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Treble and bass I can read fairly well on a few instruments... I can read alto, tenor, or other clefs, but not terribly well; I need some time to work things out.

Quote by confusius

Perhaps his standards are a bit different than yours?
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by confusius

Nah, really... When I look at some of the things for example Vai transcribed during his Zappa days I realize how much I still need to improve.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
How can there be any cons to being able to read music? Sure, being able to improv and play be ear is really important, especially as a guitarist, but you can become a much better total musician if you can read, especially with music theory.

I started out on guitar when I was eight with just playing chords, but then since then I picked up the flute, trumpet, violin, French horn, and I can get my way around a piano. So sight reading most music on treble clef is no problem, and I can read bass too, but it's not as easy for me.

I can read music on guitar too, but I can't sight read as well as on some other instruments.
Quote by Psychodelia
Perhaps his standards are a bit different than yours?

I always got the impression that him being aa jazz guitarist he would be a solid sight-reader. I guess I was mistaken.
I can take sheet music in percussion clef and play it correctly (depending on it's difficulty - damn you Birdland! ). I can read both treble and bass clefs, though I am far more adept at treble clef. On bass I take forever working out each individual note in relation to other notes and such, but on treble clef I can read it far more fluidly, but still with several 'small' mistakes.

Ever since Yawn posted those links to Muse sheet music (thanks again Yawn :cheers I have been sight reading and playing melodies and sometimes sight sining them.

The only problem is that I already know how the sining goes so I just use it to see if I'm actually hitting the correct pitches without the recording or instrumentation helping me, and its a massive help .
Quote by confusius
I always got the impression that him being aa jazz guitarist he would be a solid sight-reader. I guess I was mistaken.

Well, like I said, there is so much better attainable I'd feel like an imposter for saying I'm anywhere near good at it.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Tsunoyukami
Ever since Yawn posted those links to Muse sheet music (thanks again Yawn :cheers I have been sight reading and playing melodies and sometimes sight sining them.

Utilizing standard notation has helped me immensely. I now compose most of my songs directly onto scores, rather than tabbing them out as I once used to.

I love Finale.
I can read all clefs. thank you AP music theory and 10 years of piano and trumpet.

all pros. Plus it helps with writing compositions. gives me a visual aid to go off since my singing voice and ear arent so good. if i see it its easier for me to picture it and the sounds
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Resiliance
Well, like I said, there is so much better attainable I'd feel like an imposter for saying I'm anywhere near good at it.

Yeah, at my school I might do alright, compared to the "average" player I might be ok, but looking at what professionals need to do, it's a big step up from where I am now (massive, really..)
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by lagunasunrise
Can you explain to me what I missed?

Speaking isn't the only way to communicate.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime

I get it now, pardon my ignorence
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
No
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Lol prime your harsh. BTW Resiliance didn't Vai have to add new things to sheet music to properly represent what was going on with Zapps music? Im sure i remember reading that some where... and he also challenged people to give me him random transcriptions at concerts which he would sight read and play perfectly? To say you've mastered sight reading and notation people should be at that level, so i completly understand what your saying It's just so much work to get there lol!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Well, I started to learn reading music not long ago, but I do it mainly not to make my life as a guitarist easier but to have this great satisfaction one day, when I'll grab my instrument, a sheet of music and play fluently what I see... so I practise as long as I can, but I'm still looking for some smart way to learn reading music. I take any song I know and try to transcribe it, so I'm learning notes on the stave and on the fretboard, but I believe that there are many better ways to get the idea of reading music.
I can read bass and treble clef for many instruments but Ive never come across alto or tenor so I have no idea how they work. Its really nice because just today I was at a friends house and they had a real book there and a guitar. I plugged in and played for an hour.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by Ænimus Prime

I would have gone more of the written word route. because it does match up with reading music. you're able to communicate/understand what other from hundreds of years ago where trying to convey. Its easier to send somone something on paper or e paper than to talk or send a recording to show them a piece. But both mediums are effectetive as long as you communicate the right ideas
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I can't read music, I used to be able to a few years ago in high school band, no idea how to anymore though.

I get by playing Synth, Guitar, Bass without it though, but kinda want to learn it anyways.
I can read Bass and a little Treble on my cello.

I'm okay at treble on my guitar =/
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by mexican_shred
I would have gone more of the written word route. because it does match up with reading music. you're able to communicate/understand what other from hundreds of years ago where trying to convey. Its easier to send somone something on paper or e paper than to talk or send a recording to show them a piece. But both mediums are effectetive as long as you communicate the right ideas

Thats what I was getting at, you obviously misunderstood me.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

i can read it alright. im in between the second and third options i guess closer to the third. but i got book to help is it works.
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Quote by CowboyUp
Everyone stop fighting and watch this video

dude thats awesome
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Page 1 of 2